Temporary Cancellation Policy Announced

idahospud

Princess has pushed up the final payment date for June cruises to 60 days prior to cruise date, which is sometime in April based on the date of your cruise. So you are before final payment date. So if you cancel in March (and before your new final payment date, count back 60 days) you will get back all money you have paid. We had a June cruise and I just did this for myself and family members. 

On 3/7/2020 at 8:31 PM, amajaa said:

Unfortunately our flights are booked with Virgin.

Our TA was adamant we would lose the taxes and port fees as well

Don't know if it is too late but Virgin have just announced changes their policy and previously booked flights are now eligible to change to a later date without penalty. 

The WHO has now declared it to be a pandemic.

As far as the Virgin flights go I’m assuming, like us, that ‘amajaa’  has booked a package including the cruise and the flights. 

I have spoken to my TA who has given us a figure which we would get in FCC from Princess should we cancel. It’s not as much as we thought and of course we would lose our flights. The problem is that we cannot deal directly with Virgin as we didn’t book the flights ourselves. If we cancel the cruise and accept the FCC we would still be taking a huge loss on those flights and our hotel.

Unless and until Princess actually CANCEL we are up the proverbial without a paddle!

• Like 1

Hi all! First post here. I booked a mid-June 2020 cruise with Princess and so far have paid a $400 non-refundable deposit. If I cancel now, would I get back that $400 at all (in cash or in FCC)? Obviously I prefer cash, but is it at all possible?

My parents live in China, so we are definitely canceling this trip, considering travel restrictions and how paranoid they are about the virus.

I called Princess last week and the rep told me I should be able to move that deposit to a 2021 trip. However, that would need to be arranged by my TA who is out of office until Thursday (probably working on all the pending requests from customers).

Thank you very much!!

14 minutes ago, maxw97 said:

Hi all! First post here. I booked a mid-June 2020 cruise with Princess and so far have paid a $400 non-refundable deposit. If I cancel now, would I get back that $400 at all (in cash or in FCC)? Obviously I prefer cash, but is it at all possible?

My parents live in China, so we are definitely canceling this trip, considering travel restrictions and how paranoid they are about the virus.

I called Princess last week and the rep told me I should be able to move that deposit to a 2021 trip. However, that would need to be arranged by my TA who is out of office until Thursday (probably working on all the pending requests from customers).

Thank you very much!!

Yes, you are still 90+ days out so you will receive the deposit back in cash. Look at post 354 further up the page. 

Edited by WNcruiser
  • Like 1

Upgrade fairy hit last night.

Still haven't decided if we're going or not...I think we are trying to ride it out as long as we can. The upgrade is making it that much harder to cancel! 

For those of you who have cancelled....

1. What happened to your shore excursions? Did you lose the money you paid for those?

2. If you had Princess Air--What happened to your airfare? Did you lose all that money?

3. Did you only get a future cruise credit for the amount you paid or is it an equal trip? (I'm the 3rd person in my cabin so had a $1 fare so if I choose to go at my next opportunity (December), will I get the cruise for $1 like on this one?)

4. What other helpful information can you tell me about cancelling? 

I'm 35/36 (this was going to be my bday cruise! ugh) but my parents are both in their mid-late 70's and are concerned. I feel like the media is blowing this way out of proportion just because it's a new virus most of us had never heard of before. It was the same with H1N1/Swine flu a few years ago. You hardly ever hear of it now..... sigh. What to do.....what to do.....

Thanks everyone!!!

Wake up Princess!!

I just do not get it. How can only 2, now only one future cruise be canceled?? March 7th and March 22nd. The ship is contaminated now and will take 2 more days to disembark the passengers.  Then the poor crew has to stay on for 2 weeks.  Then the ship has to be cleaned and cleared for sailing. The Diamond is not set to sail until the end of April at the earliest.

I can imagine the number of lawsuits if you board Grand or Diamond and then catch Covid 119.  As more and more large events are being canceled, Princess do the right thing and cancel the Grand sailings for at least a month or two.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:54 PM, azbirdmom said:

The only reason I cancelled Friday was because it was the last day to get 25% refund. I hated bothering my TA for that given that I knew how crazy her day would be.

the above quote was actually Coral - but was quoted by azbirdmom - I think that's how some posters think they have been misquoted )

Anyway - thought better and just deleted the rest of my post

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Yes, you are still 90+ days out so you will receive the deposit back in cash. Look at post 354 further up the page. 

Thank you very much! I guess my situation was a little different in that my confirmation email said (and my TA made it clear with me) that the deposit was 100% non-refundable. So under normal circumstances, I would have to forfeit the deposit even if I cancel within the 100% money back cancellation period.

However, I wondered if there are any flexibility on Princess's end given the current extraordinary circumstances, especially since my parent live in China and would not be allowed boarding.

46 minutes ago, maxw97 said:

Thank you very much! I guess my situation was a little different in that my confirmation email said (and my TA made it clear with me) that the deposit was 100% non-refundable. So under normal circumstances, I would have to forfeit the deposit even if I cancel within the 100% money back cancellation period.

However, I wondered if there are any flexibility on Princess's end given the current extraordinary circumstances, especially since my parent live in China and would not be allowed boarding.

Well that may be different then. I never book non-refundable fares so I would double check with your TA. You may get a FCC instead. I missed that in your original post. 

When I booked for my June cruise the deposit was only £50 per person. My final payment date was March 15th and this was them extended to April 14th under the new terms. Today I noticed my planner has in red a notice that I need to pay £200 more deposit TODAY or my booking will be cancelled!  Has anyone else had this? I’m not sure if I will be able to go (underlying health issues) and so I don’t want to pay more money as I’m in the UK and my deposit is non refundable.

51 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Well that may be different then. I never book non-refundable fares so I would double check with your TA. You may get a FCC instead. I missed that in your original post. 

Yes non-refundable deposits are a whole other thing. In light of the current situation, they might refund your deposit. If not, as mentioned above you might end up with a Future Cruise Credit of the amount. Hope you have a good TA because they will need to get the best solution on your behalf. 

24 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Yes non-refundable deposits are a whole other thing. In light of the current situation, they might refund your deposit. If not, as mentioned above you might end up with a Future Cruise Credit of the amount. Hope you have a good TA because they will need to get the best solution on your behalf. 

Thank you both very much! My TA will be back to work tomorrow and we'll see what he says!

5 hours ago, cruisepest said:

Wake up Princess!!

I just do not get it. How can only 2, now only one future cruise be canceled?? March 7th and March 22nd. The ship is contaminated now and will take 2 more days to disembark the passengers.  Then the poor crew has to stay on for 2 weeks.  Then the ship has to be cleaned and cleared for sailing. The Diamond is not set to sail until the end of April at the earliest.

I can imagine the number of lawsuits if you board Grand or Diamond and then catch Covid 119.  As more and more large events are being canceled, Princess do the right thing and cancel the Grand sailings for at least a month or two.

Good luck. They have the most infected ships and passengers and still haven’t matched their competitors generous 48 hour cancellation policy.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Good luck. They have the most infected ships and passengers and still haven’t matched their competitors generous 48 hour cancellation policy.

We have our fingers crossed that they will re-think the cancel by the March 31st for our May cruise and copy the 48 hour policy other lines have, like Royal Caribbean.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We have our fingers crossed that they will re-think the cancel by the March 31st for our May cruise and copy the 48 hour policy other lines have, like Royal Caribbean.  

PYup. That is my plan too, though our cruise is in June. I’m happy to give Princess my money now in the hope that this all blows over by then and if not, at least I could use those FCC funds to pay for our HI trip in November. I’d even have to book another cruise as the June cruise costs more than the HI cruise. 😉 

Edited by polmcs

11 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Does CFAR Travel Insurance for cruises cover Covid-19 now that it is declared as a pandemic?

The only CFAR travel insurance that I could ever afford was through the cruise line. Now that they are allowing cancelations up to 48 hours before boarding is there any reason to buy coverage for Covid-19?

29 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Well, considering that insurance companies have large but limited amounts of money and invest a lot of it into the financial markets that are tanking right now, do the math...

The cancel for any reason plan sold by Princess is a non-insurance product offered by Princess, not an insurance company. 

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/PCT_Plt_Landing.html

44 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Well, considering that insurance companies have large but limited amounts of money and invest a lot of it into the financial markets that are tanking right now, do the math...

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone