Arcadia world cruise - more possible itinerary changes.

Ukulele girl

4 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

They're going to have to stop if only to re-stock for those pax on the alcoholic drinks package 🍻🥂🍷🍸

It’s all speculation at present but yes they would have to restock but may or may not let pax off. 

5 weeks of nothing would be bad, 5 weeks of nothing with no drinks - unthinkable😀

10 hours ago, trinity126 said:

Mil is on this cruise they have now been told that they will not be allowed off at any other port but they will travel for 5 weeks back to Southampton Docking but not allowed to disembark.  No alternative to fly home instead, no comp offered as yet.  i think I would book my own flight home, 5 weeks at sea 💤 

Terrible news, feel sorry for those on board.  I wonder if Arcadia will take the same rout Suez and Med? or go via Africa?  I like sea days but not 35 in a row, most we have done is 9 sea days on Arcadia in 2012 when we did Sydney to Southampton and missed the Seychelles because of pirate activity.

8 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Well that certainly sounds a unique cruise to be on.

And P&O can give everyone on board a T shirt emblazoned with 'I survived the Arcadia 2020 Worldie.'   The said T shirt will be acceptable attire in the MDR on formal nights.     They should scrub the formal nights if they have 35 days at sea, t shirts and shorts should be ok or perhaps ye olde Hawaiian shirt.lowes.jpg.447029ef1491c5889dbf91084090c17c.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

And P&O can give everyone on board a T shirt emblazoned with 'I survived the Arcadia 2020 Worldie.'   The said T shirt will be acceptable attire in the MDR on formal nights.     They should scrub the formal nights if they have 35 days at sea, t shirts and shorts should be ok or perhaps ye olde Hawaiian shirt.lowes.jpg.447029ef1491c5889dbf91084090c17c.jpg

Magnum's put a bit of weight on.

I heard from my sister overnight but she had no further news about the route or any stops. I had asked her lots of questions but she didn't answer them.  I would think they will stick to the Suez route because for some the chance to go through the canal would at least be interesting. The sun worshipers on board should get a few days to lie out before they reach the Med which will fill time for some.  I expect they will all make the best of it as they realise how difficult the world situation is regarding the virus.

If I hear again (she said she might ring me at some point) I will post again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ukulele girl said:

I heard from my sister overnight but she had no further news about the route or any stops. I had asked her lots of questions but she didn't answer them.  I would think they will stick to the Suez route because for some the chance to go through the canal would at least be interesting. The sun worshipers on board should get a few days to lie out before they reach the Med which will fill time for some.  I expect they will all make the best of it as they realise how difficult the world situation is regarding the virus.

If I hear again (she said she might ring me at some point) I will post again.

According to another source,  they are still heading for Dubai ( I know they may not be able to dock) so Suez looks certain. 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

According to another source,  they are still heading for Dubai ( I know they may not be able to dock) so Suez looks certain. 

Dubai cruise port is closed but if they can re fuel, may be a financial benefit and will be worth a bit more stocking up of fuel and provisions as opportunities could diminish after Sri Lanka as more ports are becoming no go.  At least the Suez route will give some Med places were fuel.provisions can be picked up as well as those already arranged - around Africa is a lot of open sea and many no go countries for reasons without virus scare.

Five weeks time is reported to be around the peak of the pandemic, hence any future itinerary must be looked at as suspect and probably why P&O are trying to stay flexible and coy with any thoughts.  Having people constantly annoyed with port cancellations will cause a lot of unrest and disturbed people, so IMO giving the worst scenario is the best way to go for P&O.  Could well be the best place to be at the time, but I would also worry about any onboard infection that could appear.

Edited by tring

3 hours ago, tring said:

Dubai cruise port is closed but if they can re fuel, may be a financial benefit and will be worth a bit more stocking up of fuel and provisions as opportunities could diminish after Sri Lanka as more ports are becoming no go.  At least the Suez route will give some Med places were fuel.provisions can be picked up as well as those already arranged - around Africa is a lot of open sea and many no go countries for reasons without virus scare.

Five weeks time is reported to be around the peak of the pandemic, hence any future itinerary must be looked at as suspect and probably why P&O are trying to stay flexible and coy with any thoughts.  Having people constantly annoyed with port cancellations will cause a lot of unrest and disturbed people, so IMO giving the worst scenario is the best way to go for P&O.  Could well be the best place to be at the time, but I would also worry about any onboard infection that could appear.

They're expecting numbers to peak in the next fortnight, aren't they? So, all being well, things should have improved a little by the time they arrive back in Southampton. 

33 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They're expecting numbers to peak in the next fortnight, aren't they? So, all being well, things should have improved a little by the time they arrive back in Southampton. 

And I get on, unless P and O cancel or all travel is cancelled!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Start to peak was the phrase, I think.  But we don't know the period from the start of the peak to the end of the peak, or what peak means. I can't see this settling down for maybe six months, and there there's the danger of it reappearing next winter.

• Like 1

As it relates to WC's I've read in other threads that Crystal has terminated theirs in Fremantle and offering appropriate compensation, and Viking has apparently closed their ship in Bali to those already booked and issued refunds.

No mention of where Crystal is planning on cruising, but Viking are apparently still headed to the UK with an apparent hope to make calls in Oman, Egypt, Jordan and Greece.

5 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

There was a recent mention that they expect the start of the peak within a fortnight and it was reported in a big news conference with Boris and his two advisors last week that the "peak" is expected to last about three months.  The delay restrictions (yet to be imposed) are hoped to flatten the peak so less people are ill at the same time.  I think the three months was still the estimate expected though, but no one knows exactly.  I assume we will hear more when the next phase is announced, if not before then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Start to peak was the phrase, I think.  But we don't know the period from the start of the peak to the end of the peak, or what peak means. I can't see this settling down for maybe six months, and there there's the danger of it reappearing next winter.

Think positive Harry. You never know they could have a vaccine by then. Welcome back. I wondered were you'd gone. I've missed our little discussions.😉

Avril 

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've just noticed on P&O's website they're still selling Arcadia's Dubai to Southampton leg. Itinerary still Oman, Suez, Malta and Lisbon. Not cheap either just over £1800 each inside cabin.

Avril 

57 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Think positive Harry. You never know they could have a vaccine by then. Welcome back. I wondered were you'd gone. I've missed our little discussions.😉

Avril 

Thanks Avril - other priorities for a few days. 

I'd love to be positive about this, and if I were younger, and not immuno-compromised maybe I could be.  80% of people affected will be just fine.  I happen to be in the worst 5-10% and it does concentrate the mind a little.  Particularly when you understand the statistics of what's going on in Italy, which has far more ICU beds than we do per 100,000 population.  We're one of the worst in Europe for ICU beds and the outcome looks shocking but inevitable.

Regards,  Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks Avril - other priorities for a few days. 

I'd love to be positive about this, and if I were younger, and not immuno-compromised maybe I could be.  80% of people affected will be just fine.  I happen to be in the worst 5-10% and it does concentrate the mind a little.  Particularly when you understand the statistics of what's going on in Italy, which has far more ICU beds than we do per 100,000 population.  We're one of the worst in Europe for ICU beds and the outcome looks shocking but inevitable.

Regards,  Harry

Off topic I know but I could never get my head around statistics. I understand the theory behind it, but life rarely conforms, but then again, statistically I'm often wrong. Or so I'm told😆

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Academics interviewed say it will not be possible for a vaccine to be produced before next year at the earliest, but yes that is something which would be very welcome.  Chris Witty did say last week though that various treatments are being studied as some existing drugs already available may be useful in the treatment of the disease.  Fingers crossed they may find something of use.

I can see your post to Harry was light hearted though and I think that is good as well, all this doom and gloom is not good for any of us 🙂

I undestand the seriousness of this pandemic and believe me I'm as worried as everyone else. However I think it helps to try and keep a positive outlook. At least it helps me. OK. Back on topic now.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

To get back on track, would it not be possible for Arcadia to increase the number of Med ports she visits, unless of course she is tied to a Suez canal transit timetable, and can't free up some time there?

You'd have thought so - unless it's become much more difficult to find ports that will accept cruise ships across a much wider area.  The longest I've done without a port is 5 nights - that was too long.  5 weeks would fill me with horror.  It's all about visiting the ports for me, though I know Dai loves his sea days!

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

To get back on track, would it not be possible for Arcadia to increase the number of Med ports she visits, unless of course she is tied to a Suez canal transit timetable, and can't free up some time there?

I think by the time she reaches the Med, Greece, Croatia, Malta (already banning cruise ships), Italy  (obs), France and Spain,  plus Gib,  will not accept her, unless the fact that she has been at sea for 5 weeks with no cases, allows them to make an exception. 

I have to say that this years schedule for the entire cruise industry is a piece of fiction.

• Like 2

Seems like we will be moving to stage 2 (delay) tomorrow.

Everyone, rightly,  has their own views on the seriousness of this outbreak.

For myself, as a 66 year old smoker who, ostensibly, suffers from COPD, I'm not worried.

456 known cases out of a population of over 60 million hardly seems to be something to panic over even though that is likely to rise over the weeks ahead.

Of course there are people who will die from this virus and, that's very sad, but thousands die every year from seasonable flu and other viruses and infections. Overaction seems to be the order of the day these days. 

As far as cruising goes, we have 2 cruises booked soon - mid May and late June. We will monitor the situation and make any final decision at a later date. It maybe taken out of our hands if governments ban cruising or P&O decide it's uneconomic to run a half empty cruise.