What Hawaii Can And Can't Do As It Copes With First Coronavirus Case

BermudaBound2014

FYI: I know that Celebrity has some ships sailing to Hawaii next month.

Hawaii Lt. Gov. Josh Green called Monday for a 60-day pause in cruise ship tours to Hawaii while the coronavirus epidemic spreads throughout the United States

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/hawaii-updates-what-were-learning-about-coronavirus-today#stream/0

from what I understand he is requesting a temporary halt, but it hasn't been implemented yet....   I'm not cruising from Hawaii but the Solstice cruise before ours comes from Hawaii.... & our kids are on the  Vancouver to Hawaii cruise in about 4 weeks,  they booked it to replace their Europe trip, & are going to be so disappointed if it gets cancelled.  ( I know that stopping the spread of this is what matters, but it would still be disappointing )

• Like 1

Good question Wine-O. 

Seriously they may have to stop all cruises at some point for 60 to 90 days. Even If the virus even spreads moderately  it could lead to many ships having the virus and being quarantined. Where are they going to place them sense they know it has not worked well keeping folks on the ship. We fly to Honolulu April 20 and return to Vancouver. Just can’t see this cruise NOT getting cancelled.  We really were looking forward to this 13 night cruise, but it ain’t looking very promising 

Hawaii is why we booked this cruise. No ports, not sure why they would even try to make this happen. 

We're on the Hawaii to Vancouver next month.  I personally think all cruises should get cancelled this they get this under control. Booked this almost 2 years ago and very unhappy to be saying this. If it get cancelled, are we reimbursed.  

Here is another article explaining that the governor can’t ban ships- sorry about the title (I’ve asked mods to change The title of this thread so it is more accurate.) 

"We don't have the authority to ban cruise ships. The Coast Guard is pretty strict about what they are looking at. As you know, they did ban any cruise ships that sailed in China and I'm certain that the CDC and the Coast Guard are talking all the time about increased restrictions on both cruise ships and air travel," Ige said.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/what-hawaii-can-and-cant-do-it-copes-first-coronavirus-case#stream/0

I still find it Interesting that the conversation is on the table and if i had a hawaii cruise planned in the near future I would want to keep an eye on this.

hope this helps someone 

Edited by Host Kat
Thread title changed to above article's title.

As noted, Hawaii Lt Governor, Josh Green (who's also a physician) certainly doesn't have the authority to ban cruise ships.  After his "strongly consider a 60 day pause" statement, he states he spoke to the federal government, thinks there's big changes on the way and wants the industry to test on board.  Here's the video from March 6th:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/03/07/green-us-should-temporarily-stop-cruise-ship-travel-given-links-coronavirus/

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

We might not need to wait too much longer as an article from the March 7th quotes Green:

"Green said the federal government should make a decision by midweek."

“I sent a request over for consideration to the White House, the liaison at the Department of Health and the CDC,” Green said.

“I look at it this way. It’s kind of like an athlete that doesn’t want to come off the field but they’re hurt. They’re hurt right now and if they don’t come off the field, they could get severely hurt for a long time. Meanwhile everybody around them could also have a problem. That’s what I think the cruise ships are facing right now and our people are a little scared. So until we can test comprehensively, it probably has to happen.”

44 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is another article explaining that the governor can’t ban ships- sorry about the title (I’ve asked mods to change The title of this thread so it is more accurate.) 

"We don't have the authority to ban cruise ships. The Coast Guard is pretty strict about what they are looking at. As you know, they did ban any cruise ships that sailed in China and I'm certain that the CDC and the Coast Guard are talking all the time about increased restrictions on both cruise ships and air travel," Ige said.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/what-hawaii-can-and-cant-do-it-copes-first-coronavirus-case#stream/0

I still find it Interesting that the conversation is on the table and if i had a hawaii cruise planned in the near future I would want to keep an eye on this.

hope this helps someone 

Thanks for the lead. We have a Hawaii cruise planned from Sydney in April.

It just amazes me that the airlines seem to be escaping the same scrutiny. I assume that Hawaii is receiving numerous flights from Japan every day.

Edited by leck57
  • Like 6

The Minister of Health in BC has issued a Travel Warning on Cruising yesterday along with the Provincial Health Officer of BC.
The Health Officer has said there should be a delay in the season.

The Minister of Health in Canada has also issued the same warning.

Tomorrow Transport Canada is meeting with Cruise Lines tomorrow to discuss a delay in the start of the Alaska Season.

It may not matter what Hawaii does.

Edited by Seacruise

6 minutes ago, Seacruise said:

The Minister of Health in BC has issued a Travel Warning on Cruising yesterday along with the Provincial Health Officer of BC.

Tomorrow Transport Canada is meeting with Cruise Lines tomorrow to discuss a delay in the start of the Alaska Season.

Heard anything on Eastern Canada cruise ports?

Edited by NMTraveller

We are on the Eclipse Hawaii cruise next month. We are traveling with friends from Vancouver Canada and they are going to cancel. We are avid cruisers with 60 cruises. We are sorely disappointed but I think we are going to cancel. Hawaii and Canadian government are going to be strict about keeping the virus out of their ports. 

We have never cancelled a cruise in 30 years. 

I might be able to avoid getting the virus but I could not handle my DH if we were quarantined for two weeks telling me " I told you so "🤨

• Like 3

• Host Kat changed the title to What Hawaii Can And Can't Do As It Copes With First Coronavirus Case
7 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Any updates on Hawaii cruises 

1. it’s 6:50am, highly doubt any updates will happen until late morning at the earliest

2.  As soon as you see 7 new X threads with Hawaii in the title, you’ll know a change has happened

Keep in mind that the population of the Hawaiian islands is very small and medical facilities are limited.   Unlike the Caribbean islands, they are very isolated from other areas (like the mainland) where infected passengers or those in need of quarantine might be transferred,    A situation like the Diamond or Grand Princess would be much more difficult to deal with there, so it's no wonder the government is concerned.   

On 3/9/2020 at 7:15 PM, Seacruise said:

Could Hawaii do what Monterrey CA enacted.  Yes, because Hawaii owns the Port facility. Simply shut it down by banning groups over a certain size.

Think we will have a plan tonight on what the Feds and CLIA will do.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, leck57 said:

Thanks for the lead. We have a Hawaii cruise planned from Sydney in April.

It just amazes me that the airlines seem to be escaping the same scrutiny. I assume that Hawaii is receiving numerous flights from Japan every day.

We are getting on the Solstice in May when you dock. Its all looking a bit up in the air at the moment.