What will they do with the empty ships?

atexsix

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

At my company (in the travel industry) we had a panel of experts from the CDC here in ATL that came and spoke to us directly. We had a long Q&A session. Long story short, I walked out of that meeting feeling much better and well informed about whats truly going on, statistics, and what's being done. 

True, the media is reporting what the CDC and other reputable organizations are saying, but unfortunately there are also many media outlets that are placing their own spin on what's going on, using sensational language that muddy the facts, speculating, and placing personal opinions ahead of true information. And that's what I consider sensationalizing the story. 

Agree with you on the irresponsible media, but there is a time to not fight the flow.  For us  today  was one of those times, my career involved managing risk in a highly uncertain and unpredictable environment so not a stranger to risk. Yesterday our friends, for valid reasons, cancelled out on the Noordam repositioning from Australia  to Canada, that plus a notification on coverage restrictions from our private medical insurance plan over COVID19,  we cancelled out our cruise this am. Not frightened of the Virus it is the panic reactions of backside covering bureaucrats that scare me. The National Guard are being called out to help police the New Rochelle area of New York which has a high apparent spread rate for the Virus.

Edited by old mike
grammer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Thyme2go, I had the very sad experience of having a parent die while in the care of a care home from a condition contracted there.  We as a family had to insist on transfer to a hospital, as clearly something was wrong and it was being ignored by the care givers.

I have NO idea what the real situation is there in Seattle, but I would be skeptical of a lot of outgoing information.

Covid-19 is the constant background noise here.   School Districts either temporarily close for cleaning or are closed with online teaching for students.  The UW is in that mode as are a lot of other schools and businesses that can run with telecommuting while adults stay out of large gatherings of people.    Small businesses such as food trucks or cafe's are taking it in the shorts.   It makes a difference because I do not believe most of the country is affected by this disease the same as this area is.   

I'm so sorry about the experience you had with the loss of a parent.   Many nursing homes appear to be corporate owned and I understand your concern.  This facility is a nursing home with high level care for high risk people....under normal situations.   And they've been lauded by resident's family members at the onset.   Unfortunately, it is ground zero for covid-19 in this country and as such there was no script.   They did transport patients to the hospital and I'm sure that hindsight will be 20/20 for evaluating what could have been done differently.   It is a tragedy any way you look at it.........I think it's too easy for people to polarize around this just as has happened with politics.......and I think that betrays all of us.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for providing that link. 

I think the confusion is that the liaison is talking about symptoms, not a positive test -- which, had a kit been available earlier, might have alerted them.

Also, with all due respect, we do not know for sure that these patients were being checked every hour by staff for symptoms. I'm sure they want to provide the best face to the public in case of potential legal actions....

Quote:

“Our experience with this so far has shown that the virus is volatile and unpredictable,” Killian said. “We’ve had patients who, within an hour’s time, show no symptoms to going to acute symptoms and being transferred to the hospital. And we’ve had patients die relatively quickly under those circumstances…We know very little about how fast this may act.”

It's implied they had patients die of covid with this onset pattern--and that was the topic of the interview so it's not a leap to assume he was talking about covid-19 and not kidney failure (for example)..........  As I mentioned in another post........unless you are currently living in an area with high impact consequences in your community -- it is too easy to dismiss everything as being 'sensationalized'.     And everything happening here is an attempt to STOP the virus...............not SHARE it.   : /  

2 hours ago, thyme2go said:

It's implied they had patients die of covid with this onset pattern--and that was the topic of the interview so it's not a leap to assume he was talking about covid-19 and not kidney failure (for example)..........  As I mentioned in another post........unless you are currently living in an area with high impact consequences in your community -- it is too easy to dismiss everything as being 'sensationalized'.     And everything happening here is an attempt to STOP the virus...............not SHARE it.   : /  

I'm only advocating the need to be very careful when reading and interpreting complex info.

I assure you I've got plenty of skin in the game:  my April Westerdam cruise was canceled (after I'd already decided not to go) and just two weeks ago I returned from Italy -- and since then have been, at the request of my company, self-quarantined at home. I also have some background in healthcare.

• Like 1

Some years ago there was a major economic contraction and the cruise lines took their ships they could not operate profitably out of service and docked them somewhere for 6 to 12 months until the travel market recovered.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, atexsix said:

I have a wonderful idea for the MDR, remove the exclusive CO section and they'll have plenty of space

There will still be the same amount of passengers wanting to eat in the MDR so I don’t quite get how this will save space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm only advocating the need to be very careful when reading and interpreting complex info.

I assure you I've got plenty of skin in the game:  my April Westerdam cruise was canceled (after I'd already decided not to go) and just two weeks ago I returned from Italy -- and since then have been, at the request of my company, self-quarantined at home. I also have some background in healthcare.

I REALLY hope that everyone has "skin in the game" at this point.     We do too! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You do have a lot of skin in the game.  There is nothing worse than doing all that planning and then having to undo it all.  

I know as I am doing the same thing.  It’s very sad and depressing.

I agree you need to be very careful on the information out there but I fear that whether WHO chooses to call it a pandemic or not, we are in the midst of one or something close enough to cause grave concern.

I think you were wise to cancel your cruise and I commend you on your self quarantine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cruisemom... I've followed your posts for awhile.  I want to tell you I appreciate your very well informed statements on the subject.  

I hope the self quarantine has been going alright and you'll soon be able to step out again. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

There will still be the same amount of passengers wanting to eat in the MDR so I don’t quite get how this will save space.

It was not meant literally, in fact I thought I had deleted it before posting.

Spring Break is the big unknown I think. I look for this thing to really get rolling in April into May as college kids return from their break this month (March). More and more Universities and colleges are suspending classes or doing remote access immediately following Spring Break for this reason.

We cancelled our transatlantic in April for this and other reasons, mainly regarding quarantine and repatriation problems. We had planned this trip for well over a year and it ticks me off to have to do this, but it's not worth the hassle of getting quarantined. The two cruises before ours are 7 day Spring Break Caribbean cruises, I doubt seriously the crew and the ship will not have some instance of Covid-19 aboard. Don't want to arrive in Europe and get stuck.

Experts are saying we will have around 1 million americans infected by end of April and 4 million by end of may.   60-70% of Germany will be infected so Merkel says.  NCL took out a 675 million dollar loan because of the virus so I am sure they can park their ships for a little while now.

Yes, young foolish Spring Breakers are a factor.

One of our reported cases at Vanderbilt University was a student that despite warnings and 2 of his travel companions cancelling because of the virus, he and 8 other Vandy students decided to travel to Spain for Spring Break. They knew the risk and yet this one student has now been confirmed positive. He brought back the virus, was sick on the plane, and exposed who knows how many people. He and his 8 travel companions are now quarantined and the others are awaiting test results. Vandy has taken drastic measures to protect students like many universities and even some of our local public and private schools. Sadly with stuff like this, it is needed.

Edited by fatcat04

well the WHO just used the word Pandemic. There ya go.  Sit back and watch it all and wait and see.

My goodness what a difference even two weeks make.  

remember the saying "YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF"   then again those ill and older I guess should fear.

but media needs to watch their tone.   

toodles for now ya all    I am watching my DVD of Love Boat

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:46 AM, atexsix said:

Legit question.  It's not like they can park em in the desert.  And docked in port will cost a fortune.  

Nobody liked my cruise to nowhere idea, so will they just bob around in the ocean?

Getting this back on topic.

Back in the 70's during the oil crises, they parked empty oil tankers in the St John's River (Jacksonville).  Mind you, not at docks, they were anchored just off the main shipping channel.  Not sure how they were manned/maintained.  So "parking" ships is not unprecedented.

2 hours ago, gatour said:

Getting this back on topic.

Back in the 70's during the oil crises, they parked empty oil tankers in the St John's River (Jacksonville).  Mind you, not at docks, they were anchored just off the main shipping channel.  Not sure how they were manned/maintained.  So "parking" ships is not unprecedented.

The ships probably had a caretaker that would check them. When I was in the Coast Guard, President Nixon had a program that called for the Vietnamization of the War. It called for turning more equipment over to Viet Nam to have them take a larger responsibility for fighting. Included was the CG cutter that I was part of the ship's company.  We sailed from Portsmouth, VA via the Panama Canal to Guam in the South Pacific where my ship was moored to be decommissioned and for turnover to the Vietnamese Navy. While we went through the preparations required, we would stand a Cold Iron watch. Every half hour we would check the ship over. It essentially required checking the bilges and shaft alleys to make certain that they stayed dry. We would also check any running equipment related to our shore tie. Instead of numerous men being on watch while underway, it only required one man.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, old mike said:

Not frightened of the Virus it is the panic reactions of backside covering bureaucrats that scare me. 

After the Diamond Princess was out of the daily press,  booked cruisers were still resolved to go.  Some people weren't paying much attention to it anyway (it was waaaaayyyyyy over there). But the images of the Grand waiting off the coast of San Francisco brought it home,  and now I'm  often told it's not the virus they fear,  it's the possibility of a quarantine.

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

this is what Viking has decided:

Just received the following email from Viking:

... Therefore, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend operations of our river and ocean vessels embarking from March 12 to April 30, 2020 – at which time we believe Viking will be in a better place to provide the experiences our guests expect and deserve. This is a decision we made with a heavy heart, but with present circumstances what they are, we are unable to deliver the high-quality Viking experience for which we are known.

For those guests whose cruise falls within this window of suspended operations, we are offering the choice of a Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking or a refund equal to the amount paid. Guests will have 24 months to use their Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise. For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable.

Rest assured, our reservations team is currently in the process of issuing Future Cruise Vouchers of 125% of all monies paid to Viking. However, if you would prefer the alternative please call Viking at 1-833-900-0951 or contact your Travel Agent by March 25, 2020.

3 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

After the Diamond Princess was out of the daily press,  booked cruisers were still resolved to go.  Some people weren't paying much attention to it anyway (it was waaaaayyyyyy over there). But the images of the Grand waiting off the coast of San Francisco brought it home,  and now I'm  often told it's not the virus they fear,  it's the possibility of a quarantine.

That is why I cancelled the Koningsdam for the March 15 sailing for 44 days. After DP it looked like things had calmed down. They have not.  

Princess just announced they are stopping all 18 ships for 60 days.  They will find non-cruise commercial docks or anchorages and likely keep the full crew onboard.  Not worth the cost to repatriate all the crew for 60 days, and they can be kept busy cleaning.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Princess just announced they are stopping all 18 ships for 60 days.  They will find non-cruise commercial docks or anchorages and likely keep the full crew onboard.  Not worth the cost to repatriate all the crew for 60 days, and they can be kept busy cleaning.

More to follow suit, no doubt...........