Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

4 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

I don't think it's the 'where you contract it' that bothers people, it's where you are when the symptoms show, and the logistics of returning home.

Yes, that's exactly right in our case. We are cancelling today and will get 50% back because we have children and jobs and a 14-day quarantine would cause us more financial harm due to lost wages than cancellation fees would. With the Diamond Princess and now the uncertainty regarding what may happen with passengers aboard the Grand Princess, we aren't willing to take any chances. Until cruise lines and government agencies become more transparent about how they will handle coronavirus cases onboard and the aftermath, we won't be cruising.

1 minute ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Fair point ,

To be honest ,as we've now paid in full , we really haven't got much of a choice unless the cruise is cancelled by P&O or there's a travel ban of some sort. Still looking forward to it though and just keeping our fingers crossed that t all goes ok 🤞

We are the same, departing Easter, and currently happy to proceed, but would like to have the cancel and defer option open to us if the situation worsens over the next few weeks. I should imagine P&O are watching the medical forecasts carefully as things could backfire on them quite severely.

6 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

We are the same, departing Easter, and currently happy to proceed, but would like to have the cancel and defer option open to us if the situation worsens over the next few weeks. I should imagine P&O are watching the medical forecasts carefully as things could backfire on them quite severely.

Its a tricky situation for Cruise companies. If they relax their cancellation policy too early then they could end up with mass cancellations. This could leave them with no choice but to cancel cruises with half empty ships and a huge refund bill. A company like P&O with a relatively large fleet and low margins would take a massive hit. 

11 minutes ago, hawkfalcon said:

Yes, that's exactly right in our case. We are cancelling today and will get 50% back because we have children and jobs and a 14-day quarantine would cause us more financial harm due to lost wages than cancellation fees would. With the Diamond Princess and now the uncertainty regarding what may happen with passengers aboard the Grand Princess, we aren't willing to take any chances. Until cruise lines and government agencies become more transparent about how they will handle coronavirus cases onboard and the aftermath, we won't be cruising.

I think that's a good assessment. It is the aftermath of contracting the bug that is the big drawback of going, and I think a recent article comparing a cruise ship with a Petri dish is not far wide of the mark. Diamond Princess seemed to prove that.

These are extraordinary circumstances and greater flexibility and transparency from the cruise lines is essential.

We are going next week.I suspect quite a few people may opt to lose their deposit if the balance is due but where we have paid the balance and are due to go in the near future I suspect most will only cancel if they have medical problems that might make them in the 'at risk' category if they were to catch the virus.I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we won t be confined to our 'inside' cabin!

5 hours ago, janny444 said:

I will take a wild guess and say the answer is....No....not a chance... but I have my fingers and toes crossed that someone proves me wrong.

I wondered whether they would allow that.  I might ask if this gets worse.  quite happy to let my money go forward to one of the three cruises I have booked.  We have 4 Italian ports on this April cruise and we won't be going to any of those I wouldn't think.  Genoa, Civitavecchia, Elba and Salerno

Edited by jeanlyon

I am sailing on Ventura in April: Portugal, Spain, Madeira, Canaries. I intend to go unless official government guidance advises against it, in which case I will follow their advice. This is because my travel insurance provider has informed me that should I travel against FCO advice I will not be covered; they will however pay any cancellation costs in those circumstances.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

Yes we have cruise in 91 days and guess what email today from p and o wanting to book excursions in salerno .Suppose its automatic email but dont think I will be booking any Italian excursions and maybe none at all 

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I wondered whether they would allow that.  I might ask if this gets worse.  quite happy to let my money go forward to one of the three cruises I have booked.  We have 4 Italian ports on this April cruise and we won't be going to any of those I wouldn't think.  Genoa, Civitavecchia, Elba and Salerno

If you won’t be going to 4 of the ports in your itinerary, that constitutes a significant change in your package and they have to offer you the chance to cancel for a full refund. See the Package Travel Regulations 2018

Edited by staygulf
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just heard, I think, that people returning from anywhere in Italy will have to self isolate for 14 days, so I cannot imagine that cruise lines will be calling at any Italian ports.

Edited by terrierjohn

Yes that's why I mentioned it.  I am astounded at the number of cases in Italy and also the number of deaths compared to say, Germany, France etc.  Is it because they had loads of Chinese visitors, eg venice, Milan etc.

2 hours ago, brillo said:

I don't no where you get the information about HAL I have just taken a look at their board and the complaints are about the same as on here.

From Cruise Critic website where they give the latest cancellation policy statements from the various cruise lines including HAL

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5151/

Having read the HAL statement however it does seem a bit ambiguous. If I'm reading it correctly it only applies to new bookings. Doesn't clarify what happens with existing bookings.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes that's why I mentioned it.  I am astounded at the number of cases in Italy and also the number of deaths compared to say, Germany, France etc.  Is it because they had loads of Chinese visitors, eg venice, Milan etc.

I thought it was the reverse ie Italians returning from Wuhan. Could be wrong though. Also, if it’s unsafe to travel to the destination I think you might be able to cancel under regulation 12 and get a full refund. Have a look at it. 

1 minute ago, arlowood said:

From Cruise Critic website where they give the latest cancellation policy statements from the various cruise lines including HAL

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5151/

Having read the HAL statement however it does seem a bit ambiguous. If I'm reading it correctly it only applies to new bookings. Doesn't clarify what happens with existing bookings.

Just seen on the news that government Is advising anyone returning from ANYWHERE in Italy to self isolate on their return. 

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just heard, I think, that people returning from anywhere in Italy will have to self isolate for 14 days, so I cannot imagine that cruise lines will be calling at any Italian ports

Edited by staygulf

3 minutes ago, staygulf said:

I thought it was the reverse ie Italians returning from Wuhan. Could be wrong though. Also, if it’s unsafe to travel to the destination I think you might be able to cancel under regulation 12 and get a full refund. Have a look at it. 

Were there lots of Italians in wuhan?

No, I think I saw on the news that if you are coming from anywhere in Italy, you should self-isolate.

Yes, just googled it.  An aircraft full of Italians returned from Wuhan and were told to self isolate.  Maybe they didn't.