Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Do P&O visit any of the places in Italy that have restrictions in place?  It's only the 10 small cities that are on lockdown.  In a couple of weeks we could find that Italy has reached it's peak and another European country is then facing a huge upturn in numbers.  It could be us in the UK, in which case, we'll be no worse going to any other country, than staying in our own (assuming the ship is allowed to dock).  It's such an exceptional set of circumstances that I don't think anyone can really say what will happen.  It must be an absolute nightmare for travel companies and for travellers to weigh up the risks of whether they should travel or not.  

The only absolute restrictions are to the 10 towns, but if you go anywhere in Italy, when you get back you have to self-isolate.  We have 4 Italian ports on our cruise in April.  I doubt we will be going to those, if we go at all.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The only absolute restrictions are to the 10 towns, but if you go anywhere in Italy, when you get back you have to self-isolate.  We have 4 Italian ports on our cruise in April.  I doubt we will be going to those, if we go at all.

Self isolation is only required if you have symptoms of Coronavirus (other than for those 10 cities, when self isolation is required regardless). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Jean, have you read the latest Princess cancellation policy which allows you to apply the credit to existing bookings, let's hope P&O follow suit.

yes I have asked P&O the question.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Jean, have you read the latest Princess cancellation policy which allows you to apply the credit to existing bookings, let's hope P&O follow suit.

As I mentioned earlier on I still think , (even though I disagree) that P&O will not alter their stance on this issue until they have their first onboard covid19 infection. 

We were booked on the Azura Baltic cruise 17th May. Cancelled 2 days before final payment, due to the virus  Contacted medical insurance company with which I have an annual policy and was informed I would not be covered for any claim due to coronavirus. So it was a no brained. Looks like it will be awhile before we take our 40th cruise.

Just looked at our May Azura cruise to check whether the itinery has been amended (3 Italian ports) and have noticed that the price has dropped quite a bit from what it was a couple of days ago.  Slightly less than what it was at launch (Select fare) but with more OBC.  Price a couple of days ago was £300-£400 more than at launch.

Some friends of ours were thinking of joining us a couple of weeks ago, and all the same grade cabins near our were booked.  Now there's availability.  I'll give them a call.  See how brave they are!!

28 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just looked at our May Azura cruise to check whether the itinery has been amended (3 Italian ports) and have noticed that the price has dropped quite a bit from what it was a couple of days ago.  Slightly less than what it was at launch (Select fare) but with more OBC.  Price a couple of days ago was £300-£400 more than at launch.

Some friends of ours were thinking of joining us a couple of weeks ago, and all the same grade cabins near our were booked.  Now there's availability.  I'll give them a call.  See how brave they are!!

Prices are dropping like a stone as more and more people cancel - amazed to see that even the very low opening prices are being bettered now, and that's very unusual!

14 minutes ago, Tommart said:

Prices are dropping like a stone as more and more people cancel - amazed to see that even the very low opening prices are being bettered now, and that's very unusual!

Its gone back up now, but the cruise I am on at Easter in school holidays went down to £499 for a balcony.  Never seen them that cheap before. 

11 minutes ago, Tommart said:

Yes someone booking on my cruise today would pay just over half of what we did, if we try to upgrade it is at the day of booking price - fair? Now I know that is normal however it all seems to be very one sided. P&O are making few if any concessions for those who have paid their balance (unlike other lines who are).

So if I cancel I lose 100% and disinclination to travel is not covered by personal travel insurance. If I don’t go P&O can sell my cabin at whatever profit they can make.

I don’t think that any company including P&O should make a total loss in these situations but why should all the risk and financial loss be with passengers.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes someone booking on my cruise today would pay just over half of what we did, if we try to upgrade it is at the day of booking price - fair? Now I know that is normal however it all seems to be very one sided. P&O are making few if any concessions for those who have paid their balance (unlike other lines who are).

So if I cancel I lose 100% and disinclination to travel is not covered by personal travel insurance. If I don’t go P&O can sell my cabin at whatever profit they can make.

I don’t think that any company including P&O should make a total loss in these situations but why should all the risk and financial loss be with passengers.

Under the unfair terms legislation and the consumer rights legislation you could argue that the cancellation charges should be reduced by any amount the cruise line recovers by reselling your cabin

Edited by staygulf

1 hour ago, Sparrow Legs said:

We were booked on the Azura Baltic cruise 17th May. Cancelled 2 days before final payment, due to the virus  Contacted medical insurance company with which I have an annual policy and was informed I would not be covered for any claim due to coronavirus. So it was a no brained. Looks like it will be awhile before we take our 40th cruise.

Seems odd. The provider of my own annual policy states clearly

Q: “If I travel to a country where there are reported cases am I still covered if I catch the Coronavirus?”

A: Yes, providing the FCO have not advised against travel at the time of your departure. If you experience symptoms, you should contact our 24-hour medical emergency line which can be found in your policy wording. For AllClear policies this is 0207 748 0521

1 minute ago, staygulf said:

Under our he unfair terms legislation and the consumer rights legislation you could argue that the cancellation charges should be reduced by any amount the cruise line recovers by reselling your cabin

I am no expert but I believe the grade has to sell out rather than an individual cabin. The chances of that are unlikely in the circumstance so 100% loss if we choose to cancel. 

Just now, Denarius said:

Seems odd. The provider of my own annual policy states clearly

Q: “If I travel to a country where there are reported cases am I still covered if I catch the Coronavirus?”

A: Yes, providing the FCO have not advised against travel at the time of your departure. If you experience symptoms, you should contact our 24-hour medical emergency line which can be found in your policy wording. For AllClear policies this is 0207 748 0521

Some policies cover it and some don’t. Many policies don’t cover pandemics at all if WHO declare it to be one.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I am no expert but I believe the grade has to sell out rather than an individual cabin. The chances of that are unlikely in the circumstance so 100% loss if we choose to cancel. 

Depends whether you booked a specific cabin or a guarantee 

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Some policies cover it and some don’t. Many policies don’t cover pandemics at all if WHO declare it to be one.

The full section of the guide from which I quoted reads

While you’re away

Q: “What happens if I cannot return home due to the Coronavirus i.e. I’m in quarantine, or flights have stopped?”

A: If you’re stuck overseas and unable to return to the UK, your existing policy will automatically extend in line with the terms and conditions for up to 30 days, covering you until you’re reasonably able to return home.

Q: “What happens if the FCO advise against travel to my destination whilst I’m on holiday?”

A: You should contact your tour operator or travel agent in the first instance for advice and/or make every effort to leave the area if you can. If you are unable to leave and you contract the virus, cover would be provided for medical expenses. We’ll consider claims for any non-refundable and necessary extra travel costs, if you have to cut your trip short.

The bit about extending cover is in respect of single trip policies or annual policies which are about to expire.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think people are getting confused.  Many insurance policies won't allow you to cancel a holiday and make a claim for any losses, purely because a pandemic has been declared.  However, most policies should cover people if they become ill with the virus whilst on holiday.  The latter is the most important element of the insurance, should you choose to go on a holiday at the moment.  

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Do let us know their answer Jean.

Hi Jean,

Thank you for you message.

We recognise the ongoing coronavirus situation is potentially unsettling. We are currently monitoring the developments and our experts are following closely with the World Health Organization (WHO) and Public Health England to ensure you can still enjoy your holiday.

As there are now less than 90 days before your departure, the standard cancellation charges apply as we currently have no plans to cancel the cruise, unless we are advised otherwise by the relevant authorities.

If amendments to your itinerary are made, guests will be contacted at the earliest opportunity.

Best Wishes,

Sally

Chat conversation end

Type a message...
Edited by jeanlyon

18 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I think people are getting confused.  Many insurance policies won't allow you to cancel a holiday and make a claim for any losses, purely because a pandemic has been declared.  However, most policies should cover people if they become ill with the virus whilst on holiday.  The latter is the most important element of the insurance, should you choose to go on a holiday at the moment.  

Not according to a radio program I was listening to, some specifically exclude cover if a pandemic is declared. I checked my own and I am fully covered but they said the same as the radio, some policies  simply exclude it along with anything resulting from for example wars, political coups etc.