Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, we are concerned about the May one, but have paid in full so will lose the money, unless P&O pulls the plug, which I can’t see happening unless the government demands it.

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, we are concerned about the May one, but have paid in full so will lose the money, unless P&O pulls the plug, which I can’t see happening unless the government demands it.

What we need is for all CC people to stick together and act as one. If P&O don’t respond, we go to the media. I’m sure they would love to report that ‘extremely vulnerable elderly customers are being ignored and put at risk by British cruise line’.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

What we need is for all CC people to stick together and act as one. If P&O don’t respond, we go to the media. I’m sure they would love to report that ‘extremely vulnerable elderly customers are being ignored and put at risk by British cruise line’.

I’m in. 

• Like 1

What is getting to me is that those of us who are sailing in the next few weeks I feel are being treated badly compared to those who have only paid the deposit and are being allowed to transfer their cruise (to not one thats necessarily dearer that is normally the case,) I feel it is good that those who have paid the balance are being able to transfer if they get a letter from their doctor.When I enquired about upgrading from an inside to a balcony cabin I was told it would cost over £1000 more.Balcony cabins are now being sold for only £250 more than we paid for our inside and at least people buying now know that there is a slight possibility of being confined to their cabin!Sometimes upgrades are available at a cost once onboard if people don t turn up and as we will now be Caribbean tier for the first time we could have been first in the queue to enquire if upgrades were available.As it is we chose the coach option which means we probably won t arrive until after 2pm! I realise we are lucky to go on a cruise and healthy enough to not have to cancel but the fact that until recently the cruise was showing as Sold Out and now advertising really cheap prices feels we are being treated unfairly.Rant over!

5 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Premier football league to consider banning over 70s from attending football matches due to Coronavirus.

Link

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-sports-bosses-and-broadcasters-summoned-to-discuss-contingency-plans-11951225

perhaps the age 70 watershed is one P&O could adopt?

It might be a half-way house for them.  If any member of a booking is 70+ allow cancellation and re-booking for 2021?

I agree with Ann141

I am happy/content to write off deposits for cruises this year.  I would have a dilemma if I had paid £0000s and was due to sail in the next few weeks, with no prospect of recompense 

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

What is getting to me is that those of us who are sailing in the next few weeks I feel are being treated badly compared to those who have only paid the deposit and are being allowed to transfer their cruise (to not one thats necessarily dearer that is normally the case,) I feel it is good that those who have paid the balance are being able to transfer if they get a letter from their doctor.When I enquired about upgrading from an inside to a balcony cabin I was told it would cost over £1000 more.Balcony cabins are now being sold for only £250 more than we paid for our inside and at least people buying now know that there is a slight possibility of being confined to their cabin!Sometimes upgrades are available at a cost once onboard if people don t turn up and as we will now be Caribbean tier for the first time we could have been first in the queue to enquire if upgrades were available.As it is we chose the coach option which means we probably won t arrive until after 2pm! I realise we are lucky to go on a cruise and healthy enough to not have to cancel but the fact that until recently the cruise was showing as Sold Out and now advertising really cheap prices feels we are being treated unfairly.Rant over!

Fair rant. I think you just need to hold on if you can’t cancel. With so many cancelling you have to wonder whether it is economical for them to continue with some cruises and we may see more cancellations as the situation worsens 

11 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Just to be clear, I am neither extremely vulnerable nor elderly, but I take your point 😉

In the past I have seen press reports where the media have quoted posters from Cruise Critic, so I am surprised that nothing appears to have got to them yet. Perhaps it’s because it’s affecting all cruise companies, not just P&O and the ‘live’ incidents of ships with current problems is more newsworthy than those of us complaining about P&O’s pathetic handling of this situation?

I am struck by the numbers of regular posters who have been very supportive of P&O over many years who are now considering ditching them once their currently booked cruises are over. I have to say that I am not surprised. P&O seems to be very short term in their thinking, trying to minimise the hit in the short term without any consideration for the long term damage that their stance will result in. Other cruise lines have woken up to this fact. At this rate, P&O might be too late. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, staygulf said:

Fair rant. I think you just need to hold on if you can’t cancel. With so many cancelling you have to wonder whether it is economical for them to continue with some cruises and we may see more cancellations as the situation worsens 

I dont really want to cancel and when I phoned up there were only 8 balcony cabins left.More people may cancel before next week but I feel it would be fairer to let those of us who are already sailing pay a cheaper cost to upgrade than offer the cheaper rates to fill the cabins to those prepared to take a risk

26 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne

Due on JOO3 on 26th April, very concerned, as also dealing with a partner in the same situation.

4 Italian ports

Will be speaking to the MS Society for advise.

P&O are notorious for doing one-off deals with individuals who hit the right buttons - usually protecting themselves with a non-disclosure agreement.  Plenty of scope here - one or two look to have managed it already.........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommart said:

P&O are notorious for doing one-off deals with individuals who hit the right buttons - usually protecting themselves with a non-disclosure agreement.  Plenty of scope here - one or two look to have managed it already.........

If that’s the case (and, speaking from personal experience, P&O does have ‘form’ re non-disclosure agreements) then that makes a bad situation even worse. If word gets out that certain customer’s have been treated fairly whilst others have been treated with contempt (and it will get out), then what remains of P&O’s reputation will be in tatters. 

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just to be clear, I am neither extremely vulnerable nor elderly, but I take your point 😉

In the past I have seen press reports where the media have quoted posters from Cruise Critic, so I am surprised that nothing appears to have got to them yet. Perhaps it’s because it’s affecting all cruise companies, not just P&O and the ‘live’ incidents of ships with current problems is more newsworthy than those of us complaining about P&O’s pathetic handling of this situation?

I am struck by the numbers of regular posters who have been very supportive of P&O over many years who are now considering ditching them once their currently booked cruises are over. I have to say that I am not surprised. P&O seems to be very short term in their thinking, trying to minimise the hit in the short term without any consideration for the long term damage that their stance will result in. Other cruise lines have woken up to this fact. At this rate, P&O might be too late. 

Very well put Selborne. 

I have always been a big fan of P&O, but am appalled at their stance when we are all genuinely worried and most other cruise lines are trying to help their valued passengers. 

Saga for me next year I think... 

Andy 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewWestwardbound said:

I am amazed - and appalled - by P&O's policy in comparison with RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara. 

I am not amazed...P&O are displaying their usual lack of customer care and service but I am appalled at their " head in sand" approach and handling of this situation. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If that’s the case (and, speaking from personal experience, P&O does have ‘form’ re non-disclosure agreements) then that makes a bad situation even worse. If word gets out that certain customer’s have been treated fairly whilst others have been treated with contempt (and it will get out), then what remains of P&O’s reputation will be in tatters. 

It may get out, if people take a chance on the terms of the NDAs, but we need to remember that we are a smallish group of cruisers in an almost invisible forum, discussing these issues between ourselves.  I doubt even P&O bother to look at these forums, and to the public at large we're invisible.  Facebook groups are starting to pick up on this, but if anyone really wants to push it the press and media are the only real options.  

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Very well put Selborne. 

I have always been a big fan of P&O, but am appalled at their stance when we are all genuinely worried and most other cruise lines are trying to help their valued passengers. 

Saga for me next year I think... 

Andy 

Careful........Spirit of Discovery is on its fourth consecutive voyage with Norovirus at the moment.  References already on Facebook to a plague ship!  A lot of unhappy passengers, closed facilities, and passengers even disembarking en route!

48 minutes ago, ann141 said:

What is getting to me is that those of us who are sailing in the next few weeks I feel are being treated badly compared to those who have only paid the deposit and are being allowed to transfer their cruise (to not one thats necessarily dearer that is normally the case,) I feel it is good that those who have paid the balance are being able to transfer if they get a letter from their doctor.

My brother phoned tonight and the person he spoke to is not accepting this and said she knew nothing about even when he quoted the website. It really is not that clear cut. See my rant above. There are mixed messages which are causing a lot of stress for those who have paid their balance.

11 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

My brother phoned tonight and the person he spoke to is not accepting this and said she knew nothing about even when he quoted the website. It really is not that clear cut. See my rant above. There are mixed messages which are causing a lot of stress for those who have paid their balance.

Maybe it had been put on the advisory notices surreptitiously in the hope that not too many passengers notice it and they haven’t made their staff aware? Nothing would surprise me. But I don’t see how it’s not clear cut when it is there in black and white. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tommart said:

Careful........Spirit of Discovery is on its fourth consecutive voyage with Norovirus at the moment.  References already on Facebook to a plague ship!  A lot of unhappy passengers, closed facilities, and passengers even disembarking en route!

Butlins it is then... 😊

Andy 

50 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hi Selbourne,

It is of interest that your assertion that P&O may suffer because they are not doing what you think they should do is based on a few posters on this forum.  As someone else has pointed out, unfortunately this section of CC is not well populated. On a different site with many more members, and active members, your view is not being expressed. There are people worried and some have posted that they have cancelled cruises. However most have simply moved their booking to next year as P&O have said can be done at no cost. 
The main concern is about price drops and people wanting to get a cheaper deal.
The other point of interest is that on the Official P&O Facebook page, where people do express forthright opinions there is little chatter about the subject or that was the case yesterday when I last looked.. 

We have 4 cruises booked this year, one with Marella, as it stands we will be going on them all. Well we will not be cancelling them anyway.

This is on case where everyone must make up their own mind and I certainly would not advise anyone either way.

3 minutes ago, daiB said:

Hi Selbourne,

It is of interest that your assertion that P&O may suffer because they are not doing what you think they should do is based on a few posters on this forum.  As someone else has pointed out, unfortunately this section of CC is not well populated. On a different site with many more members, and active members, your view is not being expressed. There are people worried and some have posted that they have cancelled cruises. However most have simply moved their booking to next year as P&O have said can be done at no cost. 
The other point of interest is that on the Official P&O Facebook page, where people do express forthright opinions there is little chatter about the subject or that was the case yesterday when I last looked.. 

We have 4 cruises booked this year, one with Marella, as it stands we will be going on them all. Well we will not be cancelling them anyway.

This is on case where everyone must make up their own mind and I certainly would not advise anyone either way.

Where have PANDO said that you can move your booking to next year without cost? Does that apply to anyone who is past their final payment date? Or just to those who can provide a medical letter. Your wording is ambiguous I’m afraid. Please enlighten us. 

7 minutes ago, daiB said:

Hi Selbourne,

Hi, normally agree with you Dai but what about those who have already paid a balance (who have one of the medical issues that are at risk) but are now being told by P&O that, despite what the website says, they will have to go or contact their insurance company.

I personally feel let down tonight by a company that I have usually stuck up for and have 2 future cruises booked with. (NB This doesn't affect us, thank God, but it does affect family members)

Edited by Presto2

I was told today by my Ta that if you have a medical issue and you contact either your TA or P&O with a letter from your doctor saying you are unfit to cruise, then you can either book a different cruise or take a Future Cruise Credit with no time limit.  (until they say otherwise).  If you have booked through a TA then through them, or if you booked direct, then contact P&O

Doesn't help us as neither of us have a medical issue that would prevent travel, but my guess is this will change on a daily or weekly basis.

Edited by jeanlyon