Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

4 minutes ago, Lpppsp said:

They have just added another paragraph on their website

If you are concerned about travelling within balance due date due to medical reasons, we are now able to look at transferring your booking, if you can provide a letter from a medical practitioner/Doctor on headed paper which confirms that you are unfit to travel on your cruise.

The concern of many is becoming unfit rather than being unfit the day before the cruise. In my neck of the woods you would be lucky to see your GP within a month. Not exactly throwing goodwill out there is it.

1 minute ago, Hampshire Steve said:

The concern of many is becoming unfit rather than being unfit the day before the cruise. In my neck of the woods you would be lucky to see your GP within a month. Not exactly throwing goodwill out there is it.

Absolutely.  

I would not be in a position to get a gp letter, my concern is being quarantined for 2 weeks or passing it on to my elderly father on return.  I am 44 days out, so I can cancel by tomorrow and get back 40%.  Or take a chance it might be cancelled and hope to get 100% back. I was hopeful they would follow princess' example, but its looking less likely. 

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The doctors in Malta have threatened industrial action of the MSC Opera is allowed to dock at the island!!

I’ve read the full article and it is worrying. There is no virus on the MSC ship at present, only a previous passenger and yet they have refused entry.

As Malta is the home port of Oceana what will P&O do if refused docking if for example someone on board has a one of the symptoms (not necessarily the virus). All these charter and schedule flights and no way to get passengers to them, logistical nightmare.

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’ve read the full article and it is worrying. There is no virus on the MSC ship at present, only a previous passenger and yet they have refused entry.

As Malta is the home port of Oceana what will P&O do if refused docking if for example someone on board has a one of the symptoms (not necessarily the virus). All these charter and schedule flights and no way to get passengers to them, logistical nightmare.

Send them a DVD of the Malta story, they must have forgotten their pride!

7 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I'd be more concerned about the May cruise (I go in May too).  I would think that by July/August we'll be well beyond the point of even considering quarantining a ship because it will have spread far and wide.  

I’m going on the Aurora on 17th May.  Is this the same as you?

Christine

41 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

If you are eligible for a letter from your GP stating that you are unfit to travel, then surely you would be able to claim on your travel insurance? Why would you want to agree to transfer your booking, if you could get your money refunded through insurance. I certainly wouldn’t agree my booking being transferred. I would want the choice of where I next spend my money and as things stand, it won’t be with P& O

Edited by Bedruthen

3 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

If you are eligible for a letter from your GP stating that you are unfit to travel, then surely you would be able to claim on your travel insurance? Why would you want to agree to transfer your booking, if you could get your money refunded through insurance. I certainly wouldn’t agree to that.

Maybe because transferring means you won’t lose money but claiming will put up your future insurance premiums which for the elderly can be significant?

1 minute ago, staygulf said:

Maybe because transferring means you won’t lose money but claiming will put up your future insurance premiums which for the elderly can be significant?

I've never been asked for details of previous claims by any travel insurer. Has anyone else?

Just now, AnnieC said:

I've never been asked for details of previous claims by any travel insurer. Has anyone else?

If you reinsure with the same insurer, as many people who have pre-existing conditions have to, they already know your claims history. 

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

For annual insurance yes, same as for car insurance. Thankfully I have only ever had to claim once many years ago.

Im not sure if it is the same for single a use policy as we always have annual.

6 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

We've claimed for 2 cancelled cruises for medical reasons through our current insurer (annual policy) and it hasn't affected our premiums, which I understand are based on current health and age.

20 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Blimey, Jean's gone  quiet 😜

Well of course she has!!!. She was told it's not for public viewing. What do you expect her to do. I'd do the same. Why badger over it? 

Avril 

Can I clarify as I am confused.

Does it mean now that if someone is diabetic then if they get a note from their doctor to say that they are not fit to sail at the moment due to risk then P&O would reconsider being able to transfer their cruise?

24 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Can I clarify as I am confused.

Does it mean now that if someone is diabetic then if they get a note from their doctor to say that they are not fit to sail at the moment due to risk then P&O would reconsider being able to transfer their cruise?

I believe so, yes. 

4 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I believe so, yes. 

Thank you, that is really helpful for people we know who have paid their balance already.

This is why I love CC  - its great to help one another

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NewWestwardbound said:

I am amazed - and appalled - by P&O's policy in comparison with RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara. 

Yes, I agree, it’s a disgraceful attitude. All people are asking for is the same cancellation policy as Princess Cruises. It’s not a lot to ask, considering they are both Carnival brands. If this very serious customer confidence issue goes badly, I honestly believe P&O will not survive post Coronavirus.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I believe so, yes. 

Am now mortified. Brother has just phoned to say that after waiting 'for ever' for someone to pick up the phone (having listened to music and someone telling them that cruising was great for ever) the person on the end of the 'advice line' had NO idea what he was talking about. She just kept telling him to contact his insurers and that they would not get a refund at all or be able to transfer. He told them about the new wording on the website and she said she knew nothing about it !!!!!  In the current climate, t just tell people to contact their insurance company for an answer really is not good enough …. particularly when your own website is telling you to phone them for advice!!!!!

WHAT !!!!!!?????? He read it to her but she still did not help in any way, shape or form. Customer service at its worst.

WHY is it HIS responsibility for her to know what the company is saying??

We introduced our family to P&O and now feel that they have let us down very badly.

Right hand and left hand not knowing what is going on comes to mind.

If P&O want to keep new and loyal customers they need to get their act together.

Thinking about it, at the minute they must risk going against the Disability and Discrimination Act as they are certainly not supporting anyone with a disability, or health issue at the minute.

Sort it out P&O or we will all go elsewhere

11 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I'd be more concerned about the May cruise (I go in May too).  I would think that by July/August we'll be well beyond the point of even considering quarantining a ship because it will have spread far and wide.  

Yes, we are concerned about the May one, but have paid in full so will lose the money, unless P&O pulls the plug, which I can’t see happening unless the government demands it.

• Like 1