Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

I’m cooking atm so can’t copy and paste but Gov UK says you must self isolate regardless of if you have symptoms if you’re returning from Italy’s lockdown areas but the rest of Italy is if you develop symptoms. Unless it’s changed since I saw it half hour ago which is quite possible 

This is what I saw on the Gov UK website....

Returning travellers

Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places in the last 14 days, even if you do not have symptoms:

Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath, even if your symptoms are mild:

• mainland China outside of Hubei province
  • Italy outside of the lockdown areas
  • South Korea outside of the special care zones
  • Cambodia
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Laos
  • Macau
  • Malaysia
  • Myanmar
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand

28 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We are still planning to go, but we have 4 Italian ports and so the cruise is looking like a major change.

I’m pretty sure you won’t be going to Italy Jean in light of the latest advice from the government. How many other ports are on your itinerary? If they cancel more than 50% then that is a significant change and you should have the right to cancel and be refunded in full. That’s assuming they tell you about the changes before you sail of course.

3 hours ago, July morning said:

ILovemygarden,  We fly down to Southampton as well using either Edinburgh or Glasgow Airports and I've just seen something on the internet that Logan Air is going to take over the UK flights, but perhaps not in time for your flight at Easter.  You could get in touch with them perhaps you'll get good news.

Loganair are starting the route  from Edinburgh in June according to their website 🙄

Edited by Elaine0138
typo

7 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I’m pretty sure you won’t be going to Italy Jean in light of the latest advice from the government. How many other ports are on your itinerary? If they cancel more than 50% then that is a significant change and you should have the right to cancel and be refunded in full. That’s assuming they tell you about the changes before you sail of course.

Other ports are Lisbon, Alicante, Ajaccio, Palma, Valencia, Gib.  Interesting.  that's why we will hang on and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I read about an aircraft full of Italians returning from Wuhan in china.  Maybe that's why it is so bad in Italy.

It all seems so bizarre .. something has caused this

30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Other ports are Lisbon, Alicante, Ajaccio, Palma, Valencia, Gib.  Interesting.  that's why we will hang on and see what happens.

I think in two months time they will be letting us in to Italy....... Forever the optimist. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Likewise here.  Funnily enough earlier today OH suggested taking our travel Scrabble set and a couple of my Haynes jigsaws just in case our cruise becomes "prolonged".

Good idea. A pack of cards too. We were once stuck in an airport for 9  hours and a pack of cards from a christmas cracker was our saviour.

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

This is what I saw on the Gov UK website....

Returning travellers

Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places in the last 14 days, even if you do not have symptoms:

Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath, even if your symptoms are mild:

• mainland China outside of Hubei province
  • Italy outside of the lockdown areas
  • South Korea outside of the special care zones
  • Cambodia
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Laos
  • Macau
  • Malaysia
  • Myanmar
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand

Agree that is what is on the web site, but  the reporter said all returning from Italy, on the news,

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

Me too. A big case of Project Fear.

The Spanish Flu in 1918 killed millions. On that scale again then Coronavirus is headline news worthy.

We really have spawned a generation of snowflakes in recent decades

The so called snowflake generation are generally not the ones on here wanted to change their cruise plans. It is many generations earlier.  Many of us here could be classed as baby boomers.

Many of us have legitimate health concerts. Part of that relates to age.  Also many medicines leave us with weakened immune systems.  My mother had Chemotherapy and she was careful about infections during and after her treatment. I know somebody who is on an arthritis drug that reduces something important for infections in her blood. I know somebody else who is recovering from twelve hours of surgery.  For a while Diamond Princess was the largest outbreak outside of China.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I will come and find you wowzz and toast our sail away too 

Better make it two bottles - I was going to suggest that too! 🥂 Have rebooked flights with Loganair. Thanks to everybody who posted about flights to Southampton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esprit said:

Me too. A big case of Project Fear.

The Spanish Flu in 1918 killed millions. On that scale again then Coronavirus is headline news worthy.

We really have spawned a generation of snowflakes in recent decades

I talked to my mother today,  and mentioned that many people were thinking of cancelling  their cruises.  "Why would they do that?" she asked. "Because of the chance of being confined to their cabin for 14 days " I said.  Her answer  - " I walked to the Royal Free to work as a nurse when the doodle bugs were falling - tell them to get a grip !"

As you can imagine, my 95 year old mother,  who walks a mile into her local town every day  (but gets a bus back!) is not over impressed by the attitudes and cowardice (her words)of the younger generation (anyone under 70) . 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I will come and find you wowzz and toast our sail away too 

Look forward to seeing you. Please bring your own bottle - my wife is not overly sharing when it comes to wine!

18 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Better make it two bottles - I was going to suggest that too! 🥂 Have rebooked flights with Loganair. Thanks to everybody who posted about flights to Southampton.

Purdey16 could be joining us as well, so make that three bottles! 

11 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

If you have only paid a deposit, then some people are cancelling and losing their deposit.  If, like us, you have fully paid, then we are just waiting.  If we cancel because we just don't like the thought of it we lose a lot of money, so we are planning on going unless all travel is stopped, in which case we would be refunded.

We feel exactly the same. Unless we are turned away or the ship doesnt sail then we are going. Not only is the price of the cruise, accomodation at Southampton, parking etc (all of which is already arranged ) a big concern but also being a couple who both work full time it is difficult to reschedule time off at a later date.

32 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I talked to my mother today,  and mentioned that many people were thinking of cancelling  their cruises.  "Why would they do that?" she asked. "Because of the chance of being confined to their cabin for 14 days " I said.  Her answer  - " I walked to the Royal Free to work as a nurse when the doodle bugs were falling - tell them to get a grip !"

As you can imagine, my 95 year old mother,  who walks a mile into her local town every day  (but gets a bus back!) is not over impressed by the attitudes and cowardice (her words)of the younger generation (anyone under 70) . 

Reminds me of my mum's attitude .  She's a survivor of the Siege of Leningrad.

5 minutes ago, Bennybluehat said:

We feel exactly the same. Unless we are turned away or the ship doesnt sail then we are going. Not only is the price of the cruise, accomodation at Southampton, parking etc (all of which is already arranged ) a big concern but also being a couple who both work full time it is difficult to reschedule time off at a later date.

And if you end up being caught out like those on the Diamond Princess or those now on the Grand Princess who can’t rock and will probably be quarantined on land, will your employers be generous enough to not count that as part of your holiday allowance?