Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As well as seeking clarification direct from P&O about how they would treat passengers denied boarding because they failed the medical questionnaire or had signs of a fever, I also asked our TA to check with them, she provided the following reply.

P&O have advised me that denied boarding is looked at on a case by case basis and if you were denied boarding due to the coronavirus then they would very likely refund you for your cruise.

She also provided the following comment from their current experiences.

The cruise operators have been very good and very fair up to now for all passengers affected by the coronavirus outbreak.

This does give a more positive slant on P&Os standard reply, and now just leaves us with concerns about what might happen if a passenger subsequently fall ill with suspected Covid19, let's hope it doesn't happen on any of the cruises planned by forum members. 

That’s reassuring, thanks for posting it.

I think they would all have to be fair about it or lose many customers. None of the lines can tell by looking at someone that they have the virus unless they are in throws of a fever at the time and even then people can (and some idiots probably will) use antipyrexic drugs.  They can only risk assess and by doing so may let someone board who looks fine but is a carrier and refuse someone who is actually perfectly healthy but has a cough from something unrelated eg asthma (and then have issues under the Equality Act).

Let’s hope all goes well and keep each other posted on what’s happening in real life when we cruise. I’m comforted by the fact that there do not seem to be reports so far of denied boarding and I have only heard of 3 ships having real issues because of this so far, either with the actual virus or ports refusing docking.

• Like 1

I wish P&O would issue something like Viking.  We are comfortable at the moment to go on our cruise, but our friend is currently suffering viral bronchitis and is not well.  She is obviously not going to go, but can't really cancel yet as it is 8 weeks to go.  No idea what to advise her.  Even her doctor has said that although she will issue a letter for her, it is too early to cancel?

Also, they have not tested her for Covid19 as she has no evidence she has been either to one of the countries or mixed with anyone with the virus????  How does that work?  She could have been next to someone in a shop or on the tube?

Edited by jeanlyon

I'm very much in agreement with post #626 from janny444

I too have been concerned about the current ongoing situation with Coronavirus as I have a number of future cruises booked for this year. I vary between feeling alarmed by the headlines and worst case scenarios, to feeling that everything will be OK with sensible precautions.

But to put things into context I looked at the previous epidemic of swine-flu in 2009 and found similar alarmist headlines. At that time online news was not as prolific, neither was social media, but these links make interesting reading from government sources and The Guardian of July 2009 as well as Wikipedia.

Put “swine flu outbreak 2009 uk” in google and see the information that's provided.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61252/the2009influenzapandemic-review.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-10-697

This helps to document what actually happened, the details of which I personally was quite unaware at the time. There were 28,456 cases in UK and 392 deaths.

I realise that this is a different virus which we're continually learning about, but with exactly the same reaction. So at present I don't feel inclined to cancel anything, but will take adequate precautions which are already being advised.

That's only my personal feeling and I accept each one has to make their own decision depending on circumstances, particularly health and age.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I wish P&O would issue something like Viking.  We are comfortable at the moment to go on our cruise, but our friend is currently suffering viral bronchitis and is not well.  She is obviously not going to go, but can't really cancel yet as it is 8 weeks to go.  No idea what to advise her.  Even her doctor has said that although she will issue a letter for her, it is too early to cancel?

Also, they have not tested her for Covid19 as she has no evidence she has been either to one of the countries or mixed with anyone with the virus????  How does that work?  She could have been next to someone in a shop or on the tube?

Viking is offering to let you change the date of your cruise but it’s not really comparing like with like, size wise and price wise a week on a Viking cruise is equal to two weeks for two on p&o,so they could easily recoup any losses without putting prices up.

Hi all.

I am surprised that knowing P&O as we all do that you are all so confident.

How about:-

ScenarIo 1.

Family of 4 arrive at terminal having driven from Liverpool.

Driver has high temp and sore throat. Taken away to testing centre for further tests.

Other family members told to go home and self isolate.

Only virus suspect is driver.

Oh dear!!

Scenario 2.

Passenger presents at terminal with high temperature and cough.

Taken away to testing centre for further tests.

Passenger has come from Scotland on a coach.

All other coach passengers told to go home and self isolate.

Oh dear!!

Scenario 3.

Passenger and Wife taken I’ll with suspected virus at first port.

They are taken off for further testing.

3000 passengers quarantined for 14 days (P&Os advice).

No other ports will allow ship to dock. Cruise terminates.

Cruise is a 7 day cruise.  Next cruise cancelled.

Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear.

I could go on and on.

Eventualities are endless.

Don’t think that this will not happen.  It will.

12 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

My latest response from p&o

67792FA7-6542-4740-8FEA-EC1B5707041D.thumb.png.74c043dc2b73969bd9d5097bd69767da.png

they are again suggesting we have to use insurance. 

My insurance says it’s p&o. 

Your insurance company is absolutely right insofar as the cruise costs are concerned. These are clearly to be refunded by P&O under the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 if they won't allow you to board, and P&O know that full well.

One does have to ask the question: if they ignore the law on this, what other legal responsibilities are they evading, particularly given the way the parent company, Carnival, plays ducks and drakes with US environmental legislation.

One thing is certain once again from P&Os many responses why on earth do people still insist on cruising with them and showing loyalty when they dont and never have shown loyalty back to the customer. All they are interested in is money and profit and dont care if their customers suffer losses.

Just received an email from P&O headed ‘you’ll want to hear this’. Great I thought, after the PMs public address we’re going to get news of P&O contingency plans. I carried on reading ‘ we have some wonderful fly-cruise holidays for YOU'. Holy ess aitch one tee, don’t P&O understand their customers want clarity and reassurance, not more cruises!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Haworth said:

This statement yesterday from Viking may be of interest

Coronavirus Update, March 2, 2020

A note to guests with a current reservation and future Viking guests,

As you undoubtedly know, the coronavirus COVID-19 is causing concern in the general public and among those of us engaged in travel. At Viking, the safety and security of our guests and employees has always been our top priority. We have implemented enhanced health screening procedures for all guests and staff before boarding our vessels and everyone is required to complete a health care questionnaire before embarkation. We continue to reiterate the importance of individual hygiene, sanitizing and washing of hands.

We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely and are aware of the travel advisories issued by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in the UK, in addition to updates from public health authorities including the World Health Organization.

This is a situation that can change from day to day, and we can well understand that the decision of whether or not to travel may be weighing on your mind – particularly for those with imminent departures.

In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition). This temporary exception to our standard cancellation policy is applicable for all guests who currently have a reservation with Viking and for all new reservations made through April 30, 2020.

The temporary exception to our cancellation policy is as follows:

• Notification of your intent to postpone your current cruise must be received as follows:
    • If you have flights arranged by Viking, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of flight’s departure.
    • If you have arranged your own flights, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of embarkation of the cruise or your hotel check-in, whichever is first.
  • Cancelled reservations will be reimbursed in the form of a Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of all funds paid to Viking.
  • Future Cruise Vouchers may be used toward any future river, ocean or expedition cruise with Viking and will be valid for 24 months from issuance.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 0800 319 66 60, Monday through Friday 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM, Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Sunday 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM, and Bank Holiday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.

We hope you will choose to join us as planned. We will continue to update you on any changes in itineraries or circumstance that may be relevant. In the meantime, we hope that this temporary exception to our policy will help put your mind to ease.

That's what I call customer service

• Like 1

1 hour ago, posford said:

Hi all.

ScenarIo 1.

Driver has high temp and sore throat. Taken away to testing centre for further tests.

Oh dear!!

Scenario 2.

Oh dear!!

Scenario 3.

I could go on and on.

Crystal ball or tarot cards???  😉

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, posford said:

Hi all.

ScenarIo 1.

Oh dear!!

Scenario 2.

Oh dear!!

Scenario 3.

I could go on and on.

Didn't you already post this yesterday?

10 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sadly, the pneumonia brought on by Covid-19 is viral pneumonia. The protection provided by the pneumococcal vaccine is only against bacterial pneumonia. The two are entirely different.

Still worth getting the pneumococcal vaccine, but it's no good for this.

Sorry, it was just a thought.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:24 PM, Burgmeister said:

Thank you for your input but you haven't answered the question I asked. If PHE don't name you as being at risk of contact can you answer the specific P&O question regarding contact?

I would think you could honestly answer no. As neither you nor PHE think you have.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 10:19 PM, madster66 said:

We sail in 3 weeks and will be going unless P&O say no.... In fact very excited to be boarding Ventura. 😍😍😍

our first cruise was with Ventura to the caneries. we absolutely loved it. I was like a little girl (72 )!!!! that was 3 yrs ago. our second was to the Caribbean for 2 weeks, for our 70th birthday and our golden wedding. our third was to Norwegian fjords last june, but I have to say we wernt really bothred about that one. I think the weather could have been better. anyhow I am sure you will enjoy Ventura, have a lovely time.   lynn

Interesting to hear people's various responses from P&O

Unfortunately for most people there is only one question that they want a simple clear statement on imho which is:

Should a passenger or member of the crew be confirmed with COVID-19 during the cruise, what procedures and protocols will P&O follow?

Unless they (and for that matter any cruise line) are willing to properly declare how they intend to deal with any confirmed cases of the virus on-board then I just can't see how potential passengers will be able to make any kind of informed decision and we would have little choice but to assume we'd all be locked up just as the Diamond Princess.  Something has to give here.

Hi All

This morning I rang P&O to find out if they would do the decent thing and allow us to move our first time cruise from May to later in the year to the Canary islands. Our reason for this difficult decision is that my wife has some serious health conditions which we had informed P&O prior to paying our final balance. We just could not take the risk of being on board a ship with the possiblity that a passenger could be carrying the virus and at the first port 3000 passengers quarantined for 14 days or more. The response from P&O was that as we 69 days from our departure they could not transfer our cruise to later in the year. I suggested that due to my wife's health could they be more flexible but the answer was no we could of course cancel our cruise which would at this point would cost us 50% of the total price paid. Unfortunately I had to do as we did not want to lose any more money. It's a pity that P&O could not show some good will towards older travellers given that the WHO have advised the over 60s particularly with health issues to avoid crowds. It would be a lot more helpful if P&O were more proactive like Viking as below to help with the stress and worry with the overall situation we all face.

(In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition).

Needless to say we will not be re-booking with P&O when we feel it's safer to do so.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Aqueous said:

Needless to say we will not be re-booking with P&O when we feel it's safer to do so.

I think quite a few people will react this way if they lose money or perceive that they have not been treated well. Other cruise lines eg Celebrity and Viking are being slightly more flexible and will also refund anyone denied boarding as well.

P&O may find the money they save short term by these tactics will cost them custom and profit in the long term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silversurf said:

I see Fred Olsen are also offering passenger the chance to move their bookings to later in the year.

I was wondering if the reason P&O are dragging their feet over this is because they have to wait until Carnival decide which is the most profitable way to deal with it. If the way America is handling this whole epidemic is anything to go by we could be waiting a while. According to the man in charge it's all a hoax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqueous said:

Hi All

This morning I rang P&O to find out if they would do the decent thing and allow us to move our first time cruise from May to later in the year to the Canary islands. Our reason for this difficult decision is that my wife has some serious health conditions which we had informed P&O prior to paying our final balance. We just could not take the risk of being on board a ship with the possiblity that a passenger could be carrying the virus and at the first port 3000 passengers quarantined for 14 days or more. The response from P&O was that as we 69 days from our departure they could not transfer our cruise to later in the year. I suggested that due to my wife's health could they be more flexible but the answer was no we could of course cancel our cruise which would at this point would cost us 50% of the total price paid. Unfortunately I had to do as we did not want to lose any more money. It's a pity that P&O could not show some good will towards older travellers given that the WHO have advised the over 60s particularly with health issues to avoid crowds. It would be a lot more helpful if P&O were more proactive like Viking as below to help with the stress and worry with the overall situation we all face.

(In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition).

That is terrible. I feel very sorry for you. I have to say that P&O’s handling of this whole business is nothing short of appalling. I have long thought that P&O needed to replace the directors responsible for IT and shore based customer service, but I am now adding the CEO (or whatever Americanised name they give him) to my list. He is either demonstrating an appalling lack of leadership or his paymasters at Carnival aren’t listening to his feedback. Of course he could be asleep at the wheel 😴

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That is terrible. I feel very sorry for you. I have to say that P&O’s handling of this whole business is nothing short of appalling. I have long thought that P&O needed to replace the directors responsible for IT and shore based customer service, but I am now adding the CEO (or whatever Americanised name they give him) to my list. He is either demonstrating an appalling lack of leadership or his paymasters at Carnival aren’t listening to his feedback. Of course he could be asleep at the wheel 😴

I think Mr Ludlow (President, P&O Cruises) is too busy driving forward his agenda of expanding P&O with new mega-ships to give much thought to what is actually happening to his pax today...