Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

I have read all I can and I think that at present, we will go on our cruise, because we will lose all the money if we cancel and we are both healthy, although "elderly" as we are well beyond 60+!!  At the minute, that's what we have decided.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, posford said:

Sorry to all.  I may not have been clear.  I am am not over bothered about getting the virus.  Though my wife is as she had had pneumonia.

i am bothered about the incredible inconvenience and spoilt holiday.

if you expect to go to Florence and Rome, and you can’t. France is expected to ban ships.  Floating around the med for 2 weeks not knowing where you are going and with the risk of quarantine is not, in my opinion, a holiday.

if I were the heath minister of Portugal or Gibraltar I would really not want 3000 prospective virus spreaders invading their ports either.

Nobody loves cruising more than me, but surely common sense has to apply.

If like you say the ports start to ban the ships than there is a case to cancel but you would assume the cruise lines would have plans already in place.

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have read all I can and I think that at present, we will go on our cruise, because we will lose all the money if we cancel and we are both healthy, although "elderly" as we are well beyond 60+!!  At the minute, that's what we have decided.

we are same as you Jean (apart from age) I wouldn’t want to lose my money and so long as everything is ok with the ports I would like to go on holiday. It’s what we look forward to. 

I just think p&o should be reassuring their customers more. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, posford said:

Good for you Jean. Hope all goes well.

Are you prepared to be split up if one of you tests positive whilst on the cruise?

I guess we will have to be.  I am ready to change my mind nearer the time if the situation changes.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:22 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Same here, all paid, will have to assess closer to the time,

but at the moment, no intent to cancel. 

Andy 

probably previously mentioned,

some sick pax , all paid,

have no intention of cancelling. 😗 

Edited by $hip$hape

20 minutes ago, posford said:

Good for you Jean. Hope all goes well.

Are you prepared to be split up if one of you tests positive whilst on the cruise?

Great positivity there hopefully it will not come to that

I have read the whole of this thread (and others on the subject), and my balance is due this week. Having weighed up all the pros and cons, and discussed all the possible consequences, we have decided we are still going unless it is cancelled by P&O or the government prevents us by restricting movement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Les_ldh said:

I have read the whole of this thread (and others on the subject),

and my balance is due this week.

Having weighed up all the pros and cons, and discussed all the possible consequences, we have decided we are still going unless it is cancelled by P&O or the government prevents us by restricting movement.

Go for it!

What have you got to lose? 🙂

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, posford said:

if I were the heath minister of Portugal or Gibraltar I would really not want 3000 prospective virus spreaders invading their ports either.

But you would also have to ban all flights, and basically close your borders. Why worry about 3000 on a cruise ship when you have 100,000 other people crossing your border daily?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I have read the whole of this thread (and others on the subject), and my balance is due this week. Having weighed up all the pros and cons, and discussed all the possible consequences, we have decided we are still going unless it is cancelled by P&O or the government prevents us by restricting movement.

Good for you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

You wish all the cruises to be stopped or just yours just out of interest

I suspect that they may be if a pandemic develops. Who will want what is effectively a floating hotel with several thousand guests and staff entering their city. A hotel which has been in several other cities and possibly countries during the previous fortnight, with all the potential for transmission of the virus from one to the other.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

That's all any of us can do. Research, discuss and decide for ourselves. Speculation is all well and good and is making interesting reading on these threads but when all is said and done the only option is personal choice, and we should be able to make it without being criticised or belittled. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But you would also have to ban all flights, and basically close your borders. Why worry about 3000 on a cruise ship when you have 100,000 other people crossing your border daily?

Because cruise ships are unique in visting several different ports every week, with the potential for passengers to become infected in any one of them and then pass on the infection in several subsequent ports, perhaps before they realise they are infected themselves.

Edited by Denarius

7 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I suspect that they may be if a pandemic develops. Who will want what is effectively a floating hotel with several thousand guests and staff entering their city. A hotel which has been in several other cities and possibly countries during the previous fortnight, with all the potential for transmission of the virus from one to the other.

You kinda lost me I thought the virus as been spread by people returning by aircraft not ships, now if I read you right it’s the cruise ships that is spreading the virus or might be.

Edited by Bazrat

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Because cruise ships are unique in visting several different ports every week, with the potential for passengers to become infected in any one of them and then pass on the infection in several subsequent ports, perhaps before they realise they are infected themselves.

Ok you are saying ban cruises because there’s a chance to spread the virus but leave other forms of transport to continue.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But you would also have to ban all flights,

and basically close your borders.

Why worry about 3000 on a cruise ship when

you have 100,000 other people crossing your border daily?

My DW is active as a nurse, focusing on infection control. 

As hard as she works, 

She says, in the end, the cooties will win.

BTW , We have a  cruise scheduled for September, 2020.

What, Me worry?

Edited by $hip$hape

11 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Which is no different to thousands of air passengers getting infected in countries all over the world,  and then flying to a destination. There is no logic to banning cruise ships but not air traffic.

3 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Ok you are saying ban cruises because there’s a chance to spread the virus but leave other forms of transport to continue.

I am NOT saying ban cruises. I have my next one booked on Ventura in April and intend to go if allowed. What I am saying is that the matter may be taken out of our hands by governments or individual ports, for the reasons stated in my earlier posts. That most other forms of transport merely transport from A to B, whereas cruise ships transport from A to B to C to.....with the potential for multiple transmission of infection within a cruise.

2 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I am NOT saying ban cruises. I have my next one booked on Ventura in April and intend to go if allowed. What I am saying is that the matter may be taken out of our hands by governments or individual ports, for the reasons stated in my earlier posts. That most other forms of transport merely transport from A to B, whereas cruise ships transport from A to B to C to.....with the potential for multiple transmission of infection within a cruise.

Are you on the 20 April Canaries sailing?

2 minutes ago, Denarius said:

No different to flyers going to, say, Australia  via Dubai. 

And, even if your logic is correct, how is banning cruise ships,  with their relatively low passenger numbers, going to be of any benefit,  when millions of people are still flying? 

• Like 1