Will Be An Unusual Cruise -- On Riviera Now (clarification added to title)

kitty9

There will only be approximately 450 passengers on board.  This will resort to having rolling closures of the specialty restaurants.  Anyone who pre booked specialties will have to change everything.  Should be interesting.   

That was my first question as well.  450 on an "R" ship is one thing, 450 on an "O" ship is another.  Maybe "rolling closures" of specialty restaurants indicates that this is on Marina or Riviera ... ?

I’m on Riviera.  It’s very empty in the buffet, on embarkation day. It’s usually a madhouse in there but with the lack of passengers, it’s very quiet. 

Also, I’ve never heard of all cabins open by 12:20, but today everyone is in their suite or cabin already. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Kitty9 -- I am sure the vast majority appreciate your news.  I'd be interested in all your observations as the cruise progresses.  Did O offer you any special deals for sticking with your reservation, like comping the drinks package for the cruise or extra OBC?  I agree that if the crew is the same size, I don't understanding rotated closings of the specialties... what is O saving? 

At least if there are suspicions of infection amongst the crew arise during the cruise, there are plenty of empty passenger cabins to give them for isolation....rather than sticking with the fairly tight crew quarters.

• Like 2

Over on the Regent board, I've been following the upcoming March sailing of Regent's new Spendor.  It's next sailing is from San Diego to Miami, on March 14.  Prior to this situation, it was fully waitlisted in all categories, and had been so for some time.  Yesterday I counted 120 suites available for assignment on an OTA website.  Today there are 140 available, nearly 50% of all the suites onboard.  All categories are showing available except the two top suites.

• Like 1

Kitty9. I appreciate your posts. My husband and I reluctantly cancelled out on this cruise at the last minute.  We will be following you all through your return to Miami in 10 days.  Safe and healthy travels to all of you!  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Why would they rotate the Specialties? 

Keeping them open/making them more accessible is an easy customer service win.

Not like they can put staff off the ship for a day or two at a time.

They’re closing them because they don’t want to run a full restaurant with just a few people reserved to go. They’d rather have a full restaurant rather than 10 or 15 couples. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked at Riviera's cruises through the end of May and see that other than one, every cruise has complete availability in every category. Yet, there doesn't seem to be any special offers out there. Hmm? Or at least none that I've seen. 

32 minutes ago, rcbcaz said:

Kitty9. I appreciate your posts. My husband and I reluctantly cancelled out on this cruise at the last minute.  We will be following you all through your return to Miami in 10 days.  Safe and healthy travels to all of you!  

+1

25 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

They’re closing them because they don’t want to run a full restaurant with just a few people reserved to go. They’d rather have a full restaurant rather than 10 or 15 couples. 

This makes perfect sense to me. What would be the point of having 8 couple for the whole night and have the entire menu available as the kitchen wouldn't know what people would order.

• CCHelp changed the title to Will Be An Unusual Cruise -- On Riviera Now (clarification added to title)

It’s just so strange being on board Riviera with so few passengers.  CD said 20 no shows in Miami who didn’t bother to cancel, so there’s approximately 484 passengers.  No problem getting a table in the Terrace Cafe at any time of the day. Trivia had 4 teams and bingo had 22 players.  And no problem getting a deck chair—-you can have 3 if you want.  We skipped Punta Cana today because of high winds and dangerous tendering.  Most people didn’t seem to care.  Constant cleaning and disinfecting makes you feel a little safer.  We’re seeing a lot of high ranking staff walking around and speaking to passengers——even the Captain. Guess they want us to know they’re happy we’re on board. 

Toscana was closed last night, with Jacques closed tonight. 

• Like 1

There’s no talk about that at all.  But there is some worry since Princess will be pulling all their ships from service, so some think that there will be a domino effect  causing other lines to do the same.  But as I said, there’s absolutely no talk about cancelling a Riviera cruise. 

Edited by kitty9