2020 GWV cancelled

Scrapnana

Yes, it was your post I got the information from.

I had emailed my sister-in-law in Perth, WA,  this morning, and told her to expect a crowd at the airport on the 24th(?), and now I will have to email her again and ask what she thinks is going to happen.

54 minutes ago, Woofbite said:

If they are young enough.

Most freighters won't accept passengers over 77 or 80 and I'm pretty sure

none of them have medical personnel on board as well as not having

elevators between decks.

You are correct about the medical staff but most freighters I've been on do have elevators.  They're small though.  Scooters aren't getting in there.  

I have just found a blog that is being done by someone who is on the Amsterdam doing the world cruise. Has posted a entry dated March 15th since time wise they are ahead of us so for them its Sunday. They have canceled the rest of the Australian ports they were supposed to go to and now headed for Freemantle with hopes that they can still get in there since they have been in Australian waters for over a week already. See what happens as the post was also interesting regarding how they wish they could somehow then head for the U.S., Ft. Lauderdale, etc. because so many don't fly and have so much with them (numerous pieces of luggage). See what happens too as they have a petition going to sail the ship back to Ft. Lauderdale also. Feel for them but then what if they cant stop along the way to re fuel and re supply let alone if by the time they get back to the U.S. if the port is even still open. Oh and in my reading involving the Amsterdam found that there are people currently off doing a overland that were supposed to re join the ship in Darwin. Not now and now what.

The blog I found is   https://gdjmtravels.blogspot.com/

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Aren't most of the ships registered in the Netherlands?

I think that all Holland America ships are registered in the Netherlands.  But the ships are owned by the Holland America Corporation, which is wholly owned subsidy of Carnival Corporation and headquartered in Seattle.  I don't think that registering the ship in the Netherlands has much to do with the operation and responsibility of the corporate ships.  And, beyond that, HAL HAS no authority to demand that any U.S. ports not close in the event of proclaimed national state of emergency.  All of which leaves the Amsterdam in questionable circumstances should U.S. ports close.  Don't forget, there are only a few U.S. airports which the current administration has appointed to screen incoming U.S. residents.  The same restriction could be imposed on incoming passengers.  It is all very confusing, disappointing, but rather expected.  Unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

And remember how the UK came to the rescue of the Diamond Princess, which is registered in the UK.  I suspect the Netherlands will provide a similar rescue to the Amsterdam, by also doing nothing.  

And probably for the same reason.  This is a corporate problem, and Princess is also part of Carnival Corporation.  I wonder if the U.S. would send planes for the passengers, as was done with the Diamond Princess.  Or wasn't that a federal response?

3 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I think that all Holland America ships are registered in the Netherlands.  But the ships are owned by the Holland America Corporation, which is wholly owned subsidy of Carnival Corporation and headquartered in Seattle.  I don't think that registering the ship in the Netherlands has much to do with the operation and responsibility of the corporate ships.  And, beyond that, HAL HAS no authority to demand that any U.S. ports not close in the event of proclaimed national state of emergency.  All of which leaves the Amsterdam in questionable circumstances should U.S. ports close.  Don't forget, there are only a few U.S. airports which the current administration has appointed to screen incoming U.S. residents.  The same restriction could be imposed on incoming passengers.  It is all very confusing, disappointing, but rather expected.  Unfortunately.

And Carnival Corp. is incorporated in Panama, and England and Wales, and pays no federal income tax in the US.    

1 minute ago, mame42 said:

Email from friend on the overland:  They will fly to Brisbane this morning, then to US.

Well, at least they know what is happening.  I wonder what will happen to all their luggage.   Hope you make it into Fremantle.

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Well, at least they know what is happening.  I wonder what will happen to all their luggage.   Hope you make it into Fremantle.

My friend was told that cabin stewards would pack up her belongings to ship home.  Lucky her, I have to pack up my own stuff!  At least I shipped it to FFL via HAL.  I hope that means that somehow HAL will get it home.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

And probably for the same reason.  This is a corporate problem, and Princess is also part of Carnival Corporation.  I wonder if the U.S. would send planes for the passengers, as was done with the Diamond Princess.  Or wasn't that a federal response?

Yes, the U.S. State Department chartered/used Kalitta Airlines 747s to MCAS Miramar, CA, Lackland AFB, TX and CFB Trenton, Ont for that purpose

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mame42 said:

My friend was told that cabin stewards would pack up her belongings to ship home.  Lucky her, I have to pack up my own stuff!  At least I shipped it to FFL via HAL.  I hope that means that somehow HAL will get it home.

Good luck.  Have you heard anything more about where you are headed?

Edited by Vict0riann

51 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

And Carnival Corp. is incorporated in Panama, and England and Wales, and pays no federal income tax in the US.    

And last week the State Department clearly warned that U.S. citizens should not rely on any more taxpayer-funded evacuation flights. 

Here's an excerpt from the statement: 

Passengers on Cruise Ships

While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

The warning seems clear: if you want to risk travel on foreign-flagged vessels owned by non-U.S. corporations deliberately set up to avoid taxes and avoid labor laws, you shouldn't expect the U.S taxpayer to fly you home if you are stranded.

Frankly, I hope there is no "bailout" for the cruise industry. If it can survive on its own revenues, fine. Otherwise, more responsible corporate citizens will emerge. Carnival no more deserves a U.S. taxpayer bailout than a Panamanian airline.

Edited by voyageur9
typo

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good luck.  Have you heard anything more about where you are headed?

Nope.  Currently headed due west. I don't know whether or not that is a normal shipping lane for western Australia. 

15 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, the U.S. State Department chartered/used Kalitta Airlines 747s to MCAS Miramar, CA, Lackland AFB, TX and CFB Trenton, Ont for that purpose

No: the Canadian government paid for the flight to CFB Trenton. 

Edited by voyageur9
typo

3 hours ago, Woofbite said:

If they are young enough.

Most freighters won't accept passengers over 77 or 80 and I'm pretty sure

none of them have medical personnel on board as well as not having

elevators between decks.

Please see #104 about the 13 and 17 suitcases and my answer that luggage can be send by freighter.   (However in an earlier post I mentioned the possibility of booking a cabin on a freighter with passenger accommodation for passengers who do not wish to fly home. And you are right of course, you better be in good health.)

16 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Please see #104 about the 13 and 17 suitcases and my answer that luggage can be send by freighter.   (However in an earlier post I mentioned the possibility of booking a cabin on a freighter with passenger accommodation for passengers who do not wish to fly home. And you are right of course, you better be in good health.)

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong quote.

• Haha 1