2020 GWV cancelled

Scrapnana

45 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

What Captain Mercer said in his blog:

"While I was writing this, correspondence came in, HAL is ‘ceasing’ cruising for 30 days, we are keeping our Australian portion, Darwin, Broome, Exmouth and Fremantle and that’s as far as we go, Guests disembarking.  Not sure what we (crew) will be doing yet.  Hell of a Final voyage isn’t it? 🙄"

I have thought about Captain Mercer during this event quite a bit.  

I first met him during an early sailing of Nieuw Amsterdam.  He said then during a Q&A with the CD that he was thinking of retiring.  Soon after that cruise, he accepted an appointment as the Master of the Amsterdam and her Grand World Voyages.  Maybe wrong, but I am fairly certain that he had planned to retire after her last world cruise.  For some reason, maybe because of the challenging Antarctica itinerary, he decided to return to the Amsterdam's helm for one more Grand World Voyage.  Captain Mercer is probably so preoccupied and busy to even now think about this.  But, I wonder if he will ever think:  I stayed for just one more voyage too long?   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have thought about Captain Mercer during this event quite a bit.  

I first met him during an early sailing of Nieuw Amsterdam.  He said then during a Q&A with the CD that he was thinking of retiring.  Soon after that cruise, he accepted an appointment as the Master of the Amsterdam and her Grand World Voyages.  Maybe wrong, but I am fairly certain that he had planned to retire after her last world cruise.  For some reason, maybe because of the challenging Antarctica itinerary, he decided to return to the Amsterdam's helm for one more Grand World Voyage.  Captain Mercer is probably so preoccupied and busy to even now think about this.  But, I wonder if he will ever think:  I stayed for just one more voyage too long?   

You never know, this experience might make him come back for one more turn at the wheel 😉

• Like 8

If someone is fit enough to go on a four month cruise, you would think they probably are fit enough to take a long international flight.  I assume HAL will work with their passengers, especially elderly ones, but there is only so much they can do during this worldwide crisis situation.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cccole said:

I can't imagine forcing someone to get on an international flight when they do not fly.  I know people that cruise because they can get to the ports without needing an air plane.  Possibly some arrangements can be made for those who do not fly to stay in Australia until they can once again cruise home.  Which may mean not on a HAL cruise but another South Pacific cruise returning to the U.S.  I love to fly but have sat next to someone on a plane who was terrified and it was not pleasant.  I'm sure HAL will work with everyone to get them home safely and at their pleasure.  Possibly those who want to explore that part of the world a bit more will make plans to not fly home until the WC was scheduled to return.  Cherie

I think this will be a wake up for quite a few people who cruise because they absolutely will not fly. There are many ways cruisers may find themselves in the position where they have to fly home or to the next port; mechanical problems with the ship, illness or injury, accidents on shore or missing the all aboard time. Unfortunately, unplanned things happen. The only way you can be sure you won't have to get on a plane is to only travel to places you can reach by car or train.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

If someone is fit enough to go on a four month cruise, you would think they probably are fit enough to take a long international flight.  I assume HAL will work with their passengers, especially elderly ones, but there is only so much they can do during this worldwide crisis situation.

Surely don't know your age, but there is a different perspective from a Senior Citizen. Just because one is "fit enough" for a long cruise--or a cruise of any length, for that matter"--as many of us become increasingly Senior, travel becomes more of a challenge.

• Like 1

Since we’re dealing with ‘theoretical’ alternatives we should kick in a reverse trip back.

Fill ‘er up in Fremantle, top off in Auckland, perhaps make it to Honolulu for a refill(& drop some pax off: bigger airport), top off at San Diego (and again drop some folks off) and the thru the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale.

Just a wild thought.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, prescottbob said:

Since we’re dealing with ‘theoretical’ alternatives we should kick in a reverse trip back.

Fill ‘er up in Fremantle, top off in Auckland, perhaps make it to Honolulu for a refill(& drop some pax off: bigger airport), top off at San Diego (and again drop some folks off) and the thru the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale.

Just a wild thought.

Be well.

Bob

I do not think that this is a bad itinerary  suggestion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

Some people cruise because they refuse to fly, I am married to one.  I met a person a few years ago who took Amtrak to Boston for the VOV then walked next door and took the ship from Boston through the Panama Canal back to home in California.  He was very proud that he had seen the world never setting foot on a jet.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Well there are certain things that are more of a problem with flying than with cruising, especially on a long flight like one from Sydney to the US or Canada. Deep vein thrombosis is a real threat for someone who will have difficulty getting up and walking around every few hours. I would imagine that people with joint problems or poor circulation may also find it difficult to sit in one of those increasingly small airplane seats for hours at a time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prescottbob said:

Just a wild thought.

Be well.

Bob

I am with you, Bob.  Makes more sense than current plan.  After all, HAL is sending the Rotterdam home, not arriving until 27 March.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

In addition to the logistics of getting the passengers home..... what about their luggage?!! Many will have a lot of suitcases and souvenirs.

One of the perks for GWV passengers at the conclusion of that voyage is free luggage transportation to wherever home might be  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's a nice perk! I didn't know about that. 

This perk is only for cruisers in certain caregories and also only from the US and Canada.  Doesnt apply to cruisers from other countries do not sure of the logistics in getting all that luggage all the way back to North America, some ppl bring a lot of stuff

4 minutes ago, shebag said:

This perk is only for cruisers in certain caregories and also only from the US and Canada.  Doesnt apply to cruisers from other countries do not sure of the logistics in getting all that luggage all the way back to North America, some ppl bring a lot of stuff

My first reaction was wow, I could do a LOT of shopping!!!

• Haha 1

Forget any ideas about Auckland.  No cruise ships allowed and anyone arriving in the country by plane must then spend 14 days in isolation.  The same rules may be in place in Australia any time soon. News Flash . It has just happened.

No cruise ships.  All arrivals must spend 14 days in isolation as of midnight.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-australia-live-updates-covid-19-latest-news/12056788

5 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

If someone is fit enough to go on a four month cruise, you would think they probably are fit enough to take a long international flight.  

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case.  We were on last year's GWV and were astounded at how many elderly people were on board who were incapable of getting off the ship because of various disabilities/illnesses.  Many of them were very delightful people and we enjoyed their company at various activities, but we had to wonder why they were even on such a long journey, especially those who were unable to get home on their own if needed.   We even asked one of our favorites, and she said "so that I will be waited on all the time"

A cruise around the world goes to many places with substandard medical/health care & facilities … many of them are very far away from home for everyone … and there are never any guarantees on cruises that you won't have to disembark somewhere other than the original disembarkation port.

Based on what happened with the Diamond Princess, I'm sure that HAL does not want to have the same outcome.  There are many elderly people on board with fragile health who would be severely impacted by the coronavirus.   If there are any issues, you are better off in Australia than you would be on board a ship for an unspecified amount of time.  

I'm sure many of you will be unhappy with this post, but this is the reality.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case.  We were on last year's GWV and were astounded at how many elderly people were on board who were incapable of getting off the ship because of various disabilities/illnesses.  Many of them were very delightful people and we enjoyed their company at various activities, but we had to wonder why they were even on such a long journey, especially those who were unable to get home on their own if needed.   We even asked one of our favorites, and she said "so that I will be waited on all the time"

A cruise around the world goes to many places with substandard medical/health care & facilities … many of them are very far away from home for everyone … and there are never any guarantees on cruises that you won't have to disembark somewhere other than the original disembarkation port.

Based on what happened with the Diamond Princess, I'm sure that HAL does not want to have the same outcome.  There are many elderly people on board with fragile health who would be severely impacted by the coronavirus.   If there are any issues, you are better off in Australia than you would be on board a ship for an unspecified amount of time.  

I'm sure many of you will be unhappy with this post, but this is the reality.

I've wondered the same thing but was reluctant to post it.  This whole situation is a lesson for us all, both for ourselves and our elderly relatives.  The stress of the whole ordeal is going to take its toll on some of the passengers.

Edited by Roz
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Roz said:

I've wondered the same thing but was reluctant to post it.  This whole situation lesson for us all, both for ourselves and our elderly relatives.  The stress of the whole ordeal is going to take its toll on some of the passengers.

Thank you.  It was very hard to write.  I pray that there is none of the virus on board.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

May be able to re-fuel in Darwin the cruise back to Florida via Hawaii.  Anyone getting off in Darwin will have 14 days isolation.

Hawaii would be the closest open port that you can fly easily out of.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Apparently Australia is banning cruise ships, so maybe they will have to end the cruise back in Florida.

14 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

May be able to re-fuel in Darwin the cruise back to Florida via Hawaii.  Anyone getting off in Darwin will have 14 days isolation.

Everyday it gets worse..........hopefully they can refuel in Australia and head to Hawaii....