How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

I was on the QM2 and we just came through LAX from Sydney on Tuesday then connected to a flight to Boston.  I wanted to let you know what the process is upon arrival so your folks know what to expect.

Once off the flight everyone will be directed to automated kiosks to have their passports scanned.  There are folks there to help but they have a lot of people going through at the same time.  Once their passport is scanned, the kiosk will tell them to look up at the camera and then a slip of paper will be dispensed. They have to hold on to this paper.

After the kiosk you wait for an agent, Americans and Canadians in one line, everyone else in another.  The agent asked us where we came from, how long we were there and what kind of things did we purchase.  That's it!

Now you go to the baggage claim area.  Claim your bags and then go through the exit where there will be a line and a customs person who looks you over and then takes the slip of paper from the kiosk.

After this there's a sign ahead, connecting flights to the right and exits to the left.  If they're connecting they have to go to the right and there will be two lines depending on what airline they're going to.  Honestly this area was  real mess.  Basically you are rechecking your bags in for the domestic flight.  If they are able to use the self serve kiosk (we did) then it's not too bad.  You type in (or scan) your booking number and confirm the number of bags.  New boarding passes are dispensed and then you go to the drop off spot and get rid of the bags.  If they don't feel comfortable using the self serve then they have to wait in line to have their bags taken.

Now they can leave the international terminal and go to the domestic ones.  Ours was close by and easy to walk to HOWEVER there is extensive construction going on and we found it hard to find the right way. We asked an employee and were pointed in the right direction.  After this there is security and then finally your connecting flight gate.  

We had a two hour layover and we got to our domestic flight when they were doing the last call for passengers.

We are two healthy people in our 60's and 70's and we had two 24" bags plus handheld bags.  There were trolleys available but I didn't see where they came from.  Good luck to your parents.  It's a very stressful situation for all of us.

Edited by Cruise NH
  • Like 5

The process can be intimadating which is why I asked if the airlines were going to help her parents get from TBITs to their domestic flight.  The airlines are very good at helping passengers of this age and in need of help, especially with baggage and changing terminals.  There is a mobile app for re-entering the U.S. which is fabulous at LAX but I do not know if both of these passengers will be able to use it.  We used it in December and it was faster than any of the other "special"  lines.  Luggage trolleys are free of charge in TBITs but this couple should not have to handle their own luggage.  Cherie  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

I was on the QM2 and we just came through LAX from Sydney on Tuesday then connected to a flight to Boston.  I wanted to let you know what the process is upon arrival so your folks know what to expect.

Once off the flight everyone will be directed to automated kiosks to have their passports scanned.  There are folks there to help but they have a lot of people going through at the same time.  Once their passport is scanned, the kiosk will tell them to look up at the camera and then a slip of paper will be dispensed. They have to hold on to this paper.

After the kiosk you wait for an agent, Americans and Canadians in one line, everyone else in another.  The agent asked us where we came from, how long we were there and what kind of things did we purchase.  That's it!

Now you go to the baggage claim area.  Claim your bags and then go through the exit where there will be a line and a customs person who looks you over and then takes the slip of paper from the kiosk.

After this there's a sign ahead, connecting flights to the right and exits to the left.  If they're connecting they have to go to the right and there will be two lines depending on what airline they're going to.  Honestly this area was  real mess.  Basically you are rechecking your bags in for the domestic flight.  If they are able to use the self serve kiosk (we did) then it's not too bad.  You type in (or scan) your booking number and confirm the number of bags.  New boarding passes are dispensed and then you go to the drop off spot and get rid of the bags.  If they don't feel comfortable using the self serve then they have to wait in line to have their bags taken.

Now they can leave the international terminal and go to the domestic ones.  Ours was close by and easy to walk to HOWEVER there is extensive construction going on and we found it hard to find the right way. We asked an employee and were pointed in the right direction.  After this there is security and then finally your connecting flight gate.  

We had a two hour layover and we got to our domestic flight when they were doing the last call for passengers.

We are two healthy people in our 60's and 70's and we had two 24" bags plus handheld bags.  There were trolleys available but I didn't see where they came from.  Good luck to your parents.  It's a very stressful situation for all of us.

This does not sound like a good situation for a couple in their late 80's with health issues....

• Like 2

@Cruise NH thanks for taking your time to send your message.  It really is good to know what it will be like...provided no more changes. 
The last time they flew they both booked wheelchairs and therefore had assistance. I’m hoping they did the same this time so NONE of you have to venture to LAX unnecessarily. We need to keep kind folks like you healthy!

Right now however, I’m at the mercy of her calling in order for me to ask what she has booked. 
@Copper10-8 I can’t find your email. I know it’s probably obvious where your signature is, and I expected to find it when I clicked on your name, but I’m missing it somehow.  
🧐

• Like 1

Kindergirl; couple of issues:

It is imperative that your folks (or you) once they get their three flights, they/you request wheelchair assistance for each flt/from each airline. That should get them pre-boarding and a staff member will "wheel" them via the jet-bridge to their seats on the aircraft. Upon landing, "able-bodied" pax get to disembark first, but they will still get assistance with a wheelchair and, in Sydney, they should be able to be "wheeled" to the gate for their LAX flt.

Also, if at all possible, have them take only one suitcase between them with essentials for the drive up north with you (from TPA). Have them leave the remainder of their luggage inside their cabin on Amsterdam and take HAL up on their offer to ship that stuff home when Amsterdam arrives back in FLL, whenever that may be. If they can go without checking luggage and only have essentials inside their carry-on, even better!

Poster Cruise NH (I'm not smart enough to highlight that name in blue 🤓) gave you real good info on what they can expect once they arrive at LAX, as far as CBP (Customs/Immigration) is concerned. Unfortunately, they will have to fetch their luggage from the belt in order to go through Customs with it, and before having it checked for the domestic flt to Tampa. That's why it's so important to have as few pieces of luggage as possible, or possibly only carry-ons

Once they get through all that red tape, and the last thing they have to do, as Cruise NH stated, is to check their luggage for the domestic flight, I can be waiting for them at the exit (still inside Tom Bradley) and take them to their connecting domestic terminal. LAX has curbside buses that run in between the eight terminals but that, if it's busy, is not always a day at the beach, especially not for seniors who are no longer able-bodied.

When I was still working for the PD and in uniform, I was able to get near the officers in the Customs booths at Bradley and meet/pick up law enforcement friends there, but that's a thing of the past. I have a nephew who is a crew chief for American Airlines at LAX so I'll touch base with him and see if his LAX I.D. will allow him access inside Tom Bradley terminal. Will get back to you on that one   

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kindergirl said:

@Cruise NH thanks for taking your time to send your message.  It really is good to know what it will be like...provided no more changes. 
The last time they flew they both booked wheelchairs and therefore had assistance. I’m hoping they did the same this time so NONE of you have to venture to LAX unnecessarily. We need to keep kind folks like you healthy!

Right now however, I’m at the mercy of her calling in order for me to ask what she has booked. 
@Copper10-8 I can’t find your email. I know it’s probably obvious where your signature is, and I expected to find it when I clicked on your name, but I’m missing it somehow.  
🧐

Sounds like your parents are well travelled and this is not their first time out of the house.  I hope you will let us know if they need any further advice.  Cherie

• Like 2

<OT>

@Copper10-8

Thats really strange- the blue highlight didn’t appear for you. I get a drop down list immediately after typing the @ and first letter. It drills down as I type. I’m on an iPhone and directly in my safari browser ( not an app). 

oh @POA1........ ?????

Any ideas what is up?

</OT>

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

<OT>

@Copper10-8

Thats really strange- the blue highlight didn’t appear for you. I get a drop down list immediately after typing the @ and first letter. It drills down as I type. I’m on an iPhone and directly in my safari browser ( not an app). 

oh @POA1........ ?????

Any ideas what is up?

</OT>

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

If I recall correctly, the at sign brings up a drop down name picker. You have to pick a name from the list, which as you mentioned, populates as you type. I think you need to hit the space bar after you pick a name.

@Copper10-8

After I use the picker on my phone, text entry drops to a new line. That doesn't happen on my computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

If I recall correctly, the at sign brings up a drop down name picker. You have to pick a name from the list, which as you mentioned, populates as you type. I think you need to hit the space bar after you pick a name.

@Copper10-8

After I use the picker on my phone, text entry drops to a new line. That doesn't happen on my computer.

@POA1

Got it this time! Thanks as always Brian! and TiogaCruiser!

50 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

@Copper10-8  I did it!  You learn something new every day.

I am concerned now, about all the poor cruisers stuck in Australia, if what is on the other (WCB) live from says.  In the end, the ship may be bringing them back to the US after all!

Deleted - erroneous 

Edited by Copper10-8

28 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

@Copper10-8  I did it!  You learn something new every day.

I am concerned now, about all the poor cruisers stuck in Australia, if what is on the other (WCB) live from says.  In the end, the ship may be bringing them back to the US after all!

We need to read the referenced article carefully, 

I quote 

"Overseas passengers will not be allowed off unless it is to fly directly home."

from

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-20/wa-coronavirus-cases-jump-as-cruise-ship-lockdown-announced/12075846

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, old mike said:

We need to read the referenced article carefully, 

I quote 

"Overseas passengers will not be allowed off unless it is to fly directly home."

from

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-20/wa-coronavirus-cases-jump-as-cruise-ship-lockdown-announced/12075846

Let's hope there are flights available for them!

VIctoriann ,

Yes lets hope flights are still available either by existing commercial lines or by the respective national governments stepping  up to the plate as they did for the Princess ship passengers.

Edited by old mike
  • Like 1