Cruise Critic Community
Canuker

CC: please start a 70+ category

Just found interesting info .    Same for Carnival,  Norwegian and Royal Caribbean.  ( I’m sure others but only interested in those).  New criteria for guests 70 and older must get a Dr,  release that they are healthy enough to sail.  Not sure if this is temporary.

That would be age discrimination in my opinion .  Many over 70s are healthier than many under 70. Many doctors would not sign such a release due to liability issues. We already pay a premium for insurance which is understandable based on statics. Isn't that enough!  And we (our choice) pay a premium for the luxury lines amenities. More than half the passengers on some lines are over 70. 

Who cruises? Contrary to the old adage that vacations at sea mainly attract “the over fed and nearly dead,” that’s not the case.

The cruise industry has been working hard over the past two decades to change its demographics, attracting younger consumers. Research from Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) shows as of last year only 13% of customers for the $150 billion industry are over 70 years old.

Forbes, 8 March 2020

On 3/14/2020 at 7:16 PM, Canuker said:

Just kidding!

Actually, I really like the idea.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, honumaui said:

That would be age discrimination in my opinion .  

What law would that violate? I'm not being argumentative, but that response (age discrimination) has been posted on many boards but no one has answered my question.  The only law of which I am aware in the US that prohibits age discrimination due to age is the ADEA which prohibits age discrimination in employment. Are there EU or UK laws that prohibit age discrimination in vacations?  Saga cruises are only for age 50+.

3 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

What law would that violate? I'm not being argumentative, but that response (age discrimination) has been posted on many boards but no one has answered my question.  The only law of which I am aware in the US that prohibits age discrimination due to age is the ADEA which prohibits age discrimination in employment. Are there EU or UK laws that prohibit age discrimination in vacations?  Saga cruises are only for age 50+.

How about collusion! Is it coincidence that all the majors have agreed on the same policy?

Broadly, collusion or conspiracy is generally not a crime unless the underlying act is a crime.  Posters were referencing Age Discrimination.  So I ask, what law would be violated by requiring medical certificates from over 70's would-be cruisers?  People may not think it's fair, but I can't find any law it would violate.

BTW, don't all (or at least most) cruise lines prohibit babies under age six months?