Celebrity Creaky Cabin Caper; we all need a little cruise humor right now; Equinox 03/07/20

RedneckBob

Hi y'all, Redneck Bob hear!

Me and the Misses just completed a luxurious seven day western Caribbean cruise on the beautiful and elegant Celebrity Equinox. Before I begin my tail of high adventure I would like to thank all the crew of the boat who did an excellent job keeping the ship clean and us healthy for the entire duration of the cruise. 

We entered the terminal at 10:32 am on 3/7/20 and had to go through one of those temperature screenings. That goodness the temperature devices worked outside the body. I was screened first and was ok but when the Misses was screened the screen on the device started blinking RED, sirens went off (not really) and she was required to go through a second screening. This time her temp was ok. So we boarded the boat and headed to our double wide cabin on Deck 6 near the rear of the boat. We entered the cabin and it was beautiful with a huge balcony that looked right on top of this huge lifeboat. Well I said to the Misses, " this may obstruct some of our view but in an emergency,  they will be one small step onto the balcony and one giant leap into the lifeboat". I think that's how it goes.

Back to the Celebrity Creaky Cabin Caper; which I guess I had not yet begun. That first nite the seas were rough and the cabin creaked horribly. In addition there was this banging sound in the walls. So the next day we called Guest Services and told them about our creaky cabin. Within 10 minute a crew person arrived with a towel and a hammer. Now this is going to be interesting. He started banging around the walls with the hammer and the creaking stopped. Just like when you fixed one of those black and white TV's in the '50's; when the TV did not work just hit the TV with an object. I asked the crew member that you must have a miracle hammer. Can I buy one on line. Well it was not a miracle hammer, late the next nite the creaky started again, but was not as loud, maybe due to calmer seas. Celebrity offered us to change rooms but we decided to stay put. On Day 3 Guest Services sent a bottle of wine to us which was very nice. We finished off the bottle of wine that nite and did not hear any creaky that nite; imagine that! Guest Services also was very generous to us giving me and the Misses a large credit towards a future cruise for our inconvenience.

All in all it was a great cruise even though we missed Key West due to high winds. Now the real adventure occurred after the cruise when we learned of the hoarding of water and toilet paper in all the stores. CALM DOWN FOLKS. I know this is serious but we will all come through this.  Let me address both:

Water: Folks, there will never be a shortage of water. If you are on Public City or County Water, there is so  much chlorine in the water that when you do go to the bathroom you are actually self cleaning the bowl

Toilet Paper: I asked our Doctor who lives next door and googled what are the symtoms of the cronovirus. There are NO gastro issues so extra toilet paper NOT required.

Please remember I am not a doctor and don't claim to be. Though I have performed surgery on myself to remove a wood splinter from my middle finger. Thank goodness it was successful since I use my middle finger to dial my flip up rotary dial phone (for you young ones, google rotary phone)

Well, that's about all for now. I'm RedneckBob and I see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I don't understand the TP hoarding either.  I would if I thought our fellow citizens are going to be responsible people and self quarantine if they showed symptoms and needed extra for the duration....but I don't believe our fellow citizens are that responsible.

Thanks for your report.  We love Equinox.

Glad you had a nice cruise.  Might be a silly question but by any chance could the creaking have been the hangers in the closet?  On our last cruise they clanged together so much we had to remove them.

As for the TP and other hoarding, my guess is people fear that an interruption in the supply chain will leave them out in the cold, so to speak.  Our 24 hour Walmart closed at 10 over the weekend so employees could restock shelves all night.  Crazy times...

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Glad you had a nice cruise.  Might be a silly question but by any chance could the creaking have been the hangers in the closet?  On our last cruise they clanged together so much we had to remove them.

As for the TP and other hoarding, my guess is people fear that an interruption in the supply chain will leave them out in the cold, so to speak.  Our 24 hour Walmart closed at 10 over the weekend so employees could restock shelves all night.  Crazy times...

I wish it was the clothes hangers. That would have been an easy fix. Maybe the crew member who used a hammer on the walls should have used a jack hammer 😁

• Haha 1

OMG I am laughing, Thank you! What a great review. Love your much needed numerous writing. Agreed , we need to understand the serious nature of this virus and protect ourselves and those around us but this panic showing up in the frenzied hoarding and the constant media frenzy is personally driving me just a little crazy. Went out to do my usual grocery shop on Saturday (had originally had hubby call in at two different grocery stores on Thursday/Friday on his way home but he  found mostly empty shelves).   When he arrived home with this report and empty handed , my reaction was Whaaaaaaaat - you must be kidding!  My list was - 1 bottle bleach, 1 packet t/rolls, 1 Clorox or Lysol wipes,1 bag rice, 2 package noodles, and 1 hand sanitizer, 4 tins lentils, onions and potatoes, squash and cabbage and free run eggs. Well on Friday he came home with 1 small size bleach(last on the shelf) and the free run eggs (they are mostly 2-3 times the price of regular eggs- guessing thats why still available).  Well on Saturday went to the grocery store myself -  took the last two tins of lentils on the shelf, found onions, had to settle for two small boxes of soup noodles. No potatoes, no cabbage or squash, no Clorox wipes, no t/rolls or Kleenex and no rice and no hand sanitizer (friend told me to make my own using 99 percent isoprop. And aloe Vera gel. Found the aloe but in 7 stores/pharmacies-yes 7 stores no rubbing alcohol.  Found a store on opening Sunday morning unloading pallet of t/rolls and Bought 1 package and two small boxes of 5 minute rice (only 2 of any rice on the shelf) settled for restaurant style oven potatoes .Oh and the joy - found a large butternut squash!. BTW still laughing and loving your humor. Ps We have a repo booked 2 May SJU -Bayonne - done nothing yet but something tells me  forget it. Greetings and thanks!

1 hour ago, Lindagop said:

OMG I am laughing, Thank you! What a great review. Love your much needed numerous writing. Agreed , we need to understand the serious nature of this virus and protect ourselves and those around us but this panic showing up in the frenzied hoarding and the constant media frenzy is personally driving me just a little crazy. Went out to do my usual grocery shop on Saturday (had originally had hubby call in at two different grocery stores on Thursday/Friday on his way home but he  found mostly empty shelves).   When he arrived home with this report and empty handed , my reaction was Whaaaaaaaat - you must be kidding!  My list was - 1 bottle bleach, 1 packet t/rolls, 1 Clorox or Lysol wipes,1 bag rice, 2 package noodles, and 1 hand sanitizer, 4 tins lentils, onions and potatoes, squash and cabbage and free run eggs. Well on Friday he came home with 1 small size bleach(last on the shelf) and the free run eggs (they are mostly 2-3 times the price of regular eggs- guessing thats why still available).  Well on Saturday went to the grocery store myself -  took the last two tins of lentils on the shelf, found onions, had to settle for two small boxes of soup noodles. No potatoes, no cabbage or squash, no Clorox wipes, no t/rolls or Kleenex and no rice and no hand sanitizer (friend told me to make my own using 99 percent isoprop. And aloe Vera gel. Found the aloe but in 7 stores/pharmacies-yes 7 stores no rubbing alcohol.  Found a store on opening Sunday morning unloading pallet of t/rolls and Bought 1 package and two small boxes of 5 minute rice (only 2 of any rice on the shelf) settled for restaurant style oven potatoes .Oh and the joy - found a large butternut squash!. BTW still laughing and loving your humor. Ps We have a repo booked 2 May SJU -Bayonne - done nothing yet but something tells me  forget it. Greetings and thanks!

Thanks Lindagop. 

Sorry about your shopping experience. Same hear in the States. I still don’t understand hoarding of bottle water. I guess the best way to understand it if you buy Evian bottled water. Spelled backward is Naive !

We are also booked on Reflection April 13 to ABC Islands. If we don’t cancel and ship sails will have to get Doctors permission to say we are fit to sail. I hope fit to sail is not based on what I just ate on our 7 day Caribbean cruise. 😳

4 hours ago, Lindagop said:

We are on the Summit after you. By the way we use lentils too.  Just hope everything works out for everyone!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, puppycanducruise said:

Thanks RedneckBob.

Hope you are able to cruise again soon.

Your welcome. Booked on Reflection 4/13/20. Celebrity still says it’s a go but website does not show cruise for booking. I know there have many cancellations. 

Forgot to include another funny incident on our cruise. On Day 5 in the PM, I was on the elevator heading from Deck 14 to Deck 6 when the elevator stopped on Deck 12, Pool Deck. Two couples got on the elevator to join me. One of men looked at me and said, “ You need to congratulate this couple, they are on their honeymoon”. I replied, “Congratulations, that explains why you have no sun tan!” 😁

• Haha 1

Creaking Cabins Story:

A few years ago a poster who usually cruised with Disney reported on her Celebrity cruise and stated that the Celebrity SR ‘creaked’ and the Disney SR didn’t. I posted asking her what the sea state was for the Celebrity cruise and the Disney cruise was - was there lots of waves and rolling. She said yes for the Celebrity cruise but didn’t remember the Disney ship moving around at all. So I explained that since the Celebrity ship was in higher seas, there would be some ‘creaking’ as the ship flexed. She said she hated it and wouldn’t cruise on a ship that creaked. I explained if she was on a ship in high seas that didn’t creak, meaning it didn’t flex some as it pitched and rolled, then it would break in half........and sink! 

She didn’t seem to care and I gave up. Oh well. It sounds as if your ‘creaking’ wasn’t due to rough sea state, just loose bulkhead ‘stuff’ (a very technical maritime design term). 

Redneck Bob - loved your ‘double wide’ SR description! 

Den

Edited by Denny01

9 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Creaking Cabins Story:

A few years ago a poster who usually cruised with Disney reported on her Celebrity cruise and stated that the Celebrity SR ‘creaked’ and the Disney SR didn’t. I posted asking her what the sea state was for the Celebrity cruise and the Disney cruise was - was there lots of waves and rolling. She said yes for the Celebrity cruise but didn’t remember the Disney ship moving around at all. So I explained that since the Celebrity ship was in higher seas, there would be some ‘creaking’ as the ship flexed. She said she hated it and wouldn’t cruise on a ship that creaked. I explained if she was on a ship in high seas that didn’t creak, meaning it didn’t flex some as it pitched and rolled, then it would break in half........and sink! 

She didn’t seem to care and I gave up. Oh well. It sounds as if your ‘creaking’ wasn’t due to rough sea state, just loose bulkhead ‘stuff’ (a very technical maritime design term). 

Redneck Bob - loved your ‘double wide’ SR description! 

Den

I think our issue was a design issue. This was our 6th cruise on the Equinox and never a problem before. I have sailed on a +600 passenger ship in 30 ft seas and 70 knot winds for 24 hours so I know what creaking is.

As far as the double wide cabin, our first cabin 44 years ago was an inside single wide next to the engine room. There was a door on the wall with a sign above the door that stated, “Close door after shoveling coal”. 😁

24 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Our first cruise was similar. I was kept awake by the guy Down the passageway  pounding on a drum and yelling ‘Row!...Row!...Row!’.  Very hard to get a good nite’s sleep!!!

den

That's nothing, on my first cruise I was one of the rowers.  Yes, it was very tiring but you should have seen my arms after that cruise.  I was pretty buff.  LOL

24 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Ben Hur....Moses; both the same actor

right On!  And he’s the Same guy who stood up in the middle of the MDR while eating a very delicious entree and started yelling “It’s People!! We are eating People!!”

den

Edited by Denny01