Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

9 minutes ago, Rassa said:

May-be so but all the State elections during the pandemic that we have had, the incumbents were returned to power, generally with an overwhelming majority.   The WA Premier, who shut borders down even harder than other states, was returned with an overwhelming majority.   Hate bringing politics into it, but the decisions are all about winning the next election and done by both major parties.

I do wonder that the big win here in Perth was because the Liberal contenders for the most part were very poor choices. For example my area is very strong Liberal but the contender was someone from the local council who had pushed big apartment developments and caused traffic congestion in quieter residential streets. He was not popular with local residents.

Hopefully with people like Libby Mettam and the now Opposition Leader Mia Davies they can rebuild the Liberal and National party to be a good balance with sound policies.

McGowan's edicts and authoritarianism is already starting to wear thin I think. Especially his handling of the crisis in our hospitals with underfunding and staffing.

These recent lockdowns and restrictions in Perth and I am sure in other areas of Australia are playing havoc on our mental health. It is even difficult to safely plan to go away to other States in Australia because you don't know if you will end up needing to quarantine.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rassa said:

May-be so but all the State elections during the pandemic that we have had, the incumbents were returned to power, generally with an overwhelming majority.   The WA Premier, who shut borders down even harder than other states, was returned with an overwhelming majority.   Hate bringing politics into it, but the decisions are all about winning the next election and done by both major parties.

While this may be true, that was before vaccines were available and being used around the world to good effect. It is a totally different situation now.

As for Australians spending more money at home of course they are. Now if those same people that bought the new car had been confident that they could go somewhere, anywhere in Australia and get back home without being quarantined because of 2 cases 300 km away from where they were then perhaps the hotels and gas stations and restaurants may actually be surviving.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t care about the international boarder,just bring some ships here.

I do care about the border because I would like my sister-in-law who lives in Seattle be able to see her elderly mother who lives here in Perth again. I am sure there are many families in the same situation.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, frantic36 said:

I do care about the border because I would like my sister-in-law who lives in Seattle be able to see her elderly mother again. I am sure there are many families in the same situation.

She should be able to get a exemption but she would have to quarantine.

As for the boarder closure, Unfortunately I think it has to be done.

• Like 1

Just now, Chiliburn said:

She should be able to get a exemption but she would have to quarantine.

As for the boarder closure, Unfortunately I think it has to be done.

We as a family accept the situation but was hoping by early next year things would be more settled with borders opening. I do worry with people resisting the vaccination that many Australians are developing a siege mentality with border closures.

15 hours ago, Docker123 said:

The British govt has released a list of 12 green listed countries.  So once their lockdown is finished in a few weeks, their population (vaccinated, tested) will be allowed to travel to.

The list includes Australia and New Zealand, not USA.

I guess the probably should have asked our countries first.

So here comes the Covid again, the UK strain. We don't want them here. Send the poms to Howard Springs Quarantine Resort in NT, they will think they are at Butlins Holiday Camp @ Skegness, lol.

Edited by NSWP

Yes. WA result was exceptional of course it might have been an overwhelming vote for the governing party or/and  a direct vote against the opposition?

Not familiar with the dynamics.

Health is and will be important in the next federal election among other things.  

27 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t care about the international boarder,just bring some ships here.

Yes. If this fortress thing becomes an indefinite reality it might be the only means of escape. 

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't think the UK "list" took into account whether the countries on their list were accepting visitors just that it was okay to travel there. That list is fluid and as far as OZ and New Zealand go it's really a moot point until the mind set changes from "keep it out" to "make it impotent" let's all join the fight worldwide and get vaccinated. I know I'm preaching to the choir here because most people on here have started their vaccinations or are eagerly awaiting their turn to get it. Remember this is not about being able to travel, it's about being safe in your own home because "keep it out" won't work for much longer.

I vote for "Keep it OUT".

To apply a quote from a Star Trek movie... The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. – Spock, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 1982

Quality of life here in Melbourne has vastly improved since we eliminated the virus from our community in Victoria. Yes, it still arrives here and lurks around hotel quarantine facilities. As long as we keep it contained within hotel quarantine facilities, I'm happy. I absolutely do not wish for the Australian Government to do anything that will harm our ability to move about our country safely. Tania

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I do care about the border because I would like my sister-in-law who lives in Seattle be able to see her elderly mother who lives here in Perth again. I am sure there are many families in the same situation.

Likewise. Too late unfortunately for us. Many many in the same position on both sides of the borders. Take care. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So here comes the Covid again, the UK strain. We don't want them here. Send the poms to Howard Springs Quarantine Resort in NT, they will think they are at Butlins Holiday Camp @ Skegness, lol.

image.gif.7e036c98c5c6faf5e7529bfc6f6d169e.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Peacefulness said:

I vote for "Keep it OUT".

To apply a quote from a Star Trek movie... The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. – Spock, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 1982

Quality of life here in Melbourne has vastly improved since we eliminated the virus from our community in Victoria. Yes, it still arrives here and lurks around hotel quarantine facilities. As long as we keep it contained within hotel quarantine facilities, I'm happy. I absolutely do not wish for the Australian Government to do anything that will harm our ability to move about our country safely. Tania

I'm sorry you can't move safely about your own country, should you dare leave you town or your state you could easily get caught on the wrong side of a border and find yourself quarantined at your own expense over an arbitrary decision about an outbreak (if you can call it that) of 3 cases hundreds of kms away from you. I don't "Star Trek" but it think the concept of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is much older than Star Trek.

So rather than rely on "keep it out" start to attack the problem by not allowing the virus any hosts by getting everyone vaccinated with perhaps a bit of urgency.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm sorry you can't move safely about your own country, should you dare leave you town or your state you could easily get caught on the wrong side of a border and find yourself quarantined at your own expense over an arbitrary decision about an outbreak (if you can call it that) of 3 cases hundreds of kms away from you. I don't "Star Trek" but it think the concept of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is much older than Star Trek.

So rather than rely on "keep it out" start to attack the problem by not allowing the virus any hosts by getting everyone vaccinated with perhaps a bit of urgency.

Governments are paranoid Lyle.  They should show some intestinal fortitude and make covid vaccination mandatory, end of story. Too many snowflakes in this country.

Lyle..Case Study..My sister and husband from Currumbin, Qld, were going to fly down today for a few days to give me some company as it is the 1st anniversary of my wife's passing today and would have been her 75th birthday too.  Guess what? They cancelled the trip last night because of border closure rumours, hot spots, quarantine fears etc Qld/NSW. She was happy to come down but her DH was not, I rest my case.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle,

Have thought about getting a exemption to the boarder closure.

Romantic is a grounds for the exemption.

I haven’t had much luck with women in my life and I was thinking about trying a man .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

There's s slight problem with that theory. Supply! We are manufacturing the AZ vaccine locally but Pfizer has to come from overseas and therefore is controlled by the supplier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Lyle,

I haven’t had much luck with women in my life and I was thinking about trying a man .

Lynn might have something to say about that idea.🤣

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Governments are paranoid Lyle.  They should show some intestinal fortitude and make covid vaccination mandatory, end of story. Too many snowflakes in this country.

Lyle..Case Study..My sister and husband from Currumbin, Qld, were going to fly down today for a few days to give me some company as it is the anniversary of my wife's passing today and would have been her 75th birthday too.  Guess what? They cancelled the trip last night because of border closure rumours, Qld/NSW. She was happy to come down her DH was not, I rest my case.

Anniversaries of your wife's passing would be so hard and it is so sad that your family can't be with you because of the fear of border closures. Know you have many people here on Cruise Critic who care about you.

As I said before that mental impact on people is very hard.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lyle..Case Study..My sister and husband from Currumbin, Qld, were going to fly down today for a few days to give me some company as it is the 1st anniversary of my wife's passing today and would have been her 75th birthday too.  Guess what? They cancelled the trip last night because of border closure rumours, Qld/NSW. She was happy to come down her DH was not, I rest my case.

Condolences Les, this must be a hard time for you. Be well and keep the fond memories of your adventures together close at hand. Best regards my friend, Lynn sends her love and best thoughts.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There's s slight problem with that theory. Supply! We are manufacturing the AZ vaccine locally but Pfizer has to come from overseas and therefore is controlled by the supplier.

Once again a valid thought Julie, that being said is there ongoing negotiations to get more vaccine? Are there investigations to approve Moderna? We have had a supply chain issue for some time but that is easing because we secured contracts for quantities of vaccine far in excess of our needs in advance. We are now receiving Pfizer vaccine made in the USA.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Once again a valid thought Julie, that being said is there ongoing negotiations to get more vaccine? Are there investigations to approve Moderna? We have had a supply chain issue for some time but that is easing because we secured contracts for quantities of vaccine far in excess of our needs in advance. We are now receiving Pfizer vaccine made in the USA.

They have renegotiated more Pfizer, and the other vaccine but I'm not sure about Moderna. I think there is some serious discussion going on about building a facility to make mRNA vaccines but that will take time of course.

They need to dampen down the vaccine fear factor and, unfortunately, our leader is reactive not proactive.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Lyle,

On Thai Airways to Bangkok young Phillip? Seek and ye shall conquer.🤣🥰

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lyle..Case Study..My sister and husband from Currumbin, Qld, were going to fly down today for a few days to give me some company as it is the 1st anniversary of my wife's passing today and would have been her 75th birthday too.  Guess what? They cancelled the trip last night because of border closure rumours, hot spots, quarantine fears etc Qld/NSW. She was happy to come down but her DH was not, I rest my case.

I won't be with you in person, but my thoughts are with you.💘

• Like 1