Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Singapore, Taiwan and apparently Japan have been running domestic cruises pretty much throughout the pandemic. Europe there have been limited river and Mediterranean cruises plus a couple of Norwegian Fjord cruises. That only really leaves the Pacific, Americas and Africa:

Why cruise ships are setting sail again as COVID-19 rages

Edited by ilikeanswers

At least the Murray river cruises are still going at this stage.

Looking forward to doing one soon.

Some are planning cruising in Europe from US, hopefully they will be travelling.

Wonder how long we as Australians will be denied travel out of the country?

Meanwhile watching travel on u tube and reminiscing.    

1 minute ago, pully8 said:

At least the Murray river cruises are still going at this stage.

Looking forward to doing one soon.

Some are planning cruising in Europe from US, hopefully they will be travelling.

Wonder how long we as Australians will be denied travel out of the country?

Meanwhile watching travel on u tube and reminiscing.    

Do the Proud Mary Murray River cruise. It's wonderful. Just the right size boat, max 40 passengers, great food, interesting and informative excursions, and plenty of chill out time as well.

• Like 1

The British govt has released a list of 12 green listed countries.  So once their lockdown is finished in a few weeks, their population (vaccinated, tested) will be allowed to travel to.

The list includes Australia and New Zealand, not USA.

I guess the probably should have asked our countries first.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Yes that is the cruise we are doing, Proud Mary, read your review and it was helpful and appealing.

Nice to have something to look forward to.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Docker123 said:

The British govt has released a list of 12 green listed countries.  So once their lockdown is finished in a few weeks, their population (vaccinated, tested) will be allowed to travel to.

But does it matter what country we transit through? I remember at one point last year Greece put us on the green list but if you came from UAE you had to quarantine on arrival😳.

Edited by ilikeanswers

I don't think the UK "list" took into account whether the countries on their list were accepting visitors just that it was okay to travel there. That list is fluid and as far as OZ and New Zealand go it's really a moot point until the mind set changes from "keep it out" to "make it impotent" let's all join the fight worldwide and get vaccinated. I know I'm preaching to the choir here because most people on here have started their vaccinations or are eagerly awaiting their turn to get it. Remember this is not about being able to travel, it's about being safe in your own home because "keep it out" won't work for much longer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Docker123 said:

It is up to the U.K. what countries appear on the green list. Australia and New Zealand fit the criteria so they are on the green list, the USA does not.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think cruising will re-start this year and I am becoming increasingly concerned about next year's bookings.

Sorry headline this morning 'Aussie Fortress' as in remaining from the outside world.   While I am happy to be safe and even though we can probably safely cruise in Australian waters (but the politicians are not so keen to see anything like the Ruby Princess happen again) it looks more and more like we won't see a 2021/22 season.   Oh well, back to land holidays and cancelling cruises but happy to be safe.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I might have to get a job to stop myself going mad.

I thought the same thing but quickly changed my mind and other things are now keeping me busy some of the time.   I think I can outwalk anyone at the moment and the garden is looking like a botanical garden.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rassa said:

I thought the same thing but quickly changed my mind and other things are now keeping me busy some of the time.   I think I can outwalk anyone at the moment and the garden is looking like a botanical garden.

Social walks are fun .

Ive been doing a few around Sydney Harbour and through some of the suburbs.

I didn’t know what I was missing out on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Social walks are fun .

Ive been doing a few around Sydney Harbour and through some of the suburbs.

I didn’t know what I was missing out on.

Sydney Harbour is a beautiful area.   May use our last credits to get to Sydney next year.   Want to go to Taronga Park Zoo, the Blue Mountains and Manly by ferry (the only cruises we can enjoy at the moment).  Will leave booking to the last minute though in case the ships come back some time next year as I may need the fare for a cruise out of Sydney.    In the mean time, back to walking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YORKI1 said:

It is up to the U.K. what countries appear on the green list. Australia and New Zealand fit the criteria so they are on the green list, the USA does not.

Maybe, but there is no point having countries which will not allow international visitors on that green list. 

Leigh

15 minutes ago, Rassa said:

Sydney Harbour is a beautiful area.   May use our last credits to get to Sydney next year.   Want to go to Taronga Park Zoo, the Blue Mountains and Manly by ferry (the only cruises we can enjoy at the moment).  Will leave booking to the last minute though in case the ships come back some time next year as I may need the fare for a cruise out of Sydney.    In the mean time, back to walking.

Airfares and hotels are at crazy low prices. 5 star with breakfast for as low as $200.

Royal Caribbean was giving Taronga tickets away, I won 4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rassa said:

Sorry headline this morning 'Aussie Fortress' as in remaining from the outside world.   While I am happy to be safe and even though we can probably safely cruise in Australian waters (but the politicians are not so keen to see anything like the Ruby Princess happen again) it looks more and more like we won't see a 2021/22 season.   Oh well, back to land holidays and cancelling cruises but happy to be safe.

In this article Scotty says the borders are closed indefinitely.  Also sees no appetite for international travel.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/scott-morrison-says-australia-will-remain-shut-off-to-the-world-indefinitely/news-story/38da4e3b62dd8ad42bc3c44bb7b1f0cc

13 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

In this article Scotty says the borders are closed indefinitely.  Also sees no appetite for international travel.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/scott-morrison-says-australia-will-remain-shut-off-to-the-world-indefinitely/news-story/38da4e3b62dd8ad42bc3c44bb7b1f0cc

Sigh

• Like 2

Thanks for the link Adrian, I skimmed over it and really the only thing I got from it is that your Prime Minster is cowardly and totally lacking in leadership. There is no evidence that the vaccine helps so lets just not use it. Also "does not see an appetite for international travel" really clearly he needs a better pair of glasses. When the leader won't engage the fight on the ground by supporting and advocating the use and effectiveness of the vaccines that have been in use to good effect the world over.

Grow a pair ScoMo and lead. 

• Like 5

On morning TV some were saying the forced containment of people has had a stimulating effect on the economy.

People are spending what they might have spent on travel.

This included expensive things like luxury cars, real estate and even special socks!!

So there is a secondary gain by the govt to keep people contained to spend, earn and pay tax.

For us as older people who love travel we feel robbed of our time in a way but are trying to make the best of it.

Resent being told we cannot leave the country as we associate those rules with other regimes in history.

Little evidence of practical efforts to resolve, mass vaccines, increased quarantine centres is also concerning given this pandemic has been active for more than a year and still evolving.   

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the link Adrian, I skimmed over it and really the only thing I got from it is that your Prime Minster is cowardly and totally lacking in leadership. There is no evidence that the vaccine helps so lets just not use it. Also "does not see an appetite for international travel" really clearly he needs a better pair of glasses. When the leader won't engage the fight on the ground by supporting and advocating the use and effectiveness of the vaccines that have been in use to good effect the world over.

Grow a pair ScoMo and lead. 

May-be so but all the State elections during the pandemic that we have had, the incumbents were returned to power, generally with an overwhelming majority.   The WA Premier, who shut borders down even harder than other states, was returned with an overwhelming majority.   Hate bringing politics into it, but the decisions are all about winning the next election and done by both major parties.

• Like 3