Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the kind of overseas holidays to anywhere we were used to pre-pandemic won't be viable until then but travel to selected bubble countries will probably happen earlier. Well, it's already happening with NZ. So the South Pacific and some Asian countries might become viable holiday options in the next year or so but for Europe and the US that prediction is probably fairly close.

Unfortunately cruising has two hurdles to overcome - the international travel bans plus the governments' fear factor.

The government fear factor is also ruining some interstate travel,I asked and got a extension on my final payment for my coach trip from Broome to Darwin but still have to risk losing upwards of $14,000 if the WA borders are closed again if someone in Brisbane sneezes.

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I didn't see the item on 7.  However I think Aussies will be able to travel overseas to visit family and friends before then.  However, I think cruises, as we knew them visiting lots of different countries, could be that late.  In the meantime, I think there will be more cruising in local areas, limited to local people.  Maybe more travel bubbles like Aus/NZ.  

Of course, if a drug is developed to give immunity to the virus, this will open up the world sooner.  

You can go overseas to visit family now, just get an exemption, plenty heading out.

Perhaps a guide for what the cruiselines, in this case RC, are thinking at this point.

The charter company that had chartered Ovation OTS for the 'Super' Music Cruise on 23Nov 2021 (replacing the 2 cancelled music cruises on Serenade OTS in 2020) now advise that the cruise is cancelled and is now scheduled for 9-16Nov 2022.

The cruise was scheduled to go to Sth Pacific Islands, but the entertainment was the selling point rather than the itinerary, and doesn't look that perhaps a cruise to nowhere (or local) was an option.

Note: we had originally booked for one of the 2020 cruises, but elected and received a refund last year.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:14 PM, NSWP said:

Jolly good news re Pfizer, trouble is the masses in Straya are now receiving the cheaper Astra vaccine. The pollies and the heavies got the good stuff, the Pfizer.😁

Very good reasons as to why AstraZeneca is cheaper:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-pfizer-moderna-compared-astrazeneca-cheaper-temperature-2020-11

6 hours ago, mr walker said:

Perhaps a guide for what the cruiselines, in this case RC, are thinking at this point.

The charter company that had chartered Ovation OTS for the 'Super' Music Cruise on 23Nov 2021 (replacing the 2 cancelled music cruises on Serenade OTS in 2020) now advise that the cruise is cancelled and is now scheduled for 9-16Nov 2022.

The cruise was scheduled to go to Sth Pacific Islands, but the entertainment was the selling point rather than the itinerary, and doesn't look that perhaps a cruise to nowhere (or local) was an option.

Note: we had originally booked for one of the 2020 cruises, but elected and received a refund last year.

Royal Princess is scheduled for Greece for our summer as well, so loks like Princess isn't coming either

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Royal Princess is scheduled for Greece for our summer as well, so loks like Princess isn't coming either

Where did you see this Mic?

Royal Princess still has heaps of cruises listed in our waters for our summer? As are three other Princess ships - Coral, Sapphire & Emerald? Can’t find any cruise listings for Royal in the Med for our summer?

15 hours ago, mr walker said:

This season is definitely Burt toast especially with the vaccine situation.

Will the cruise lines survive and what condition will the ships be in ,is the question.

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Where did you see this Mic?

Royal Princess still has heaps of cruises listed in our waters for our summer? As are three other Princess ships - Coral, Sapphire & Emerald? Can’t find any cruise listings for Royal in the Med for our summer?

It was on the Princess threads, Athens Port guides.

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Will the cruise lines survive and what condition will the ships be in ,is the question.

The three biggest corporations have enough money to last till next year. IIRC Carnival Corp apparently has enough to last till June next year🤔

Princess has cancelled the Coral Princess relocation cruise from San Pedro (LA) to Auckland/Sydney in September.

The ship is scheduled to operate in this region from October and do the world cruise in May 2022. On Princess list of cancellations.

It is a worry.

pause-extension-into-2021.pdf

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Princess has cancelled the Coral Princess relocation cruise from San Pedro (LA) to Auckland/Sydney in September.

The ship is scheduled to operate in this region from October and do the world cruise in May 2022. On Princess list of cancellations.

It is a worry.

It's looking more and more unlikely that we'll have any cruise season this summer if it involves ships arriving here as part of a broader world-wide itinerary. I have an Aussie leg of a world-wide cruise booked for March, 2022; can't see it happening with world-wide covid numbers increasing in many areas and our vaccine roll-out on life support.

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

It is a worry.

pause-extension-into-2021.pdfUnavailable

It is a worry although cancellation of the relocation cruise doesn't necessarily mean the ship isn't coming here, it may just mean it's coming here as a crew-only voyage. Coral is supposed to be taking the place of Sea Princess here if any cruising is to take place next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The three biggest corporations have enough money to last till next year. IIRC Carnival Corp apparently has enough to last till June next year🤔

I’ve heard that ,I don’t know if I actually believe it . 
Two years bleeding money is going to affect any company.

I think they are painting a nice picture to keep the punters coming in.

This time last year, on this topic, myself and some others predicted we would possibly be cruising again by now.

Time for me to re-evaluate so I will predict that unless a cruise bubble starts with NZ it will be another 12 months before international visitors will be cruising to or in Australia.

Sorry Lyle. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Hi Mic, I checked the Athens port schedule and the Royal Princess is not listed. It is presently off the coast of Mexico. It is supposed to leave from Singapore on the 15/10 headed for Sydney(yes, we are booked) and is on the Singapore port schedule.

I think if cruising does start here later this year for domestic crusing, it may sail empty from either Singapore or Mexico.

Tanya

Edited by stki
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stki said:

Hi Mic, I checked the Athens port schedule and the Royal Princess is not listed. It is presently off the coast of Mexico. It is supposed to leave from Singapore on the 15/10 headed for Sydney(yes, we are booked) and is on the Singapore port schedule.

I think if cruising does start here later this year for domestic crusing, it may sail empty from either Singapore or Mexico.

Tanya

This was the thread.

Australia/New Zealand question - Princess Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

olp.gr - Cruise Terminal the link.

The spreadsheet (bottom) has Royal Princess in Greece on 10 November 2021.

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

This was the thread.

Australia/New Zealand question - Princess Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

olp.gr - Cruise Terminal the link.

The spreadsheet (bottom) has Royal Princess in Greece on 10 November 2021.

Interesting Mic, The Royal Princess only appears once for that date(couldnt see any more up till end of Dec)  I wonder if it is a hold for the spot. Wishful thinking maybe 🙂

Tanya

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

They've sold some ships and also, some of their brands are sailing. Cunard is doing a local summer season in UK for UK-only passengers on Queen Elizabeth which has apparently proven very popular with bookings, so they do have some income. I think some of the other European Carnival brands are also doing some sailing.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

They had $US8.2 billion in what they call runway money and they halved their burn rate by dumping a lot of staff and shutting down many operations. I wouldn't call it a nice picture but a survivable picture. 

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It was on the Princess threads, Athens Port guides.

Thanks Mic - but it all looked Greek to me 😆 

Read through the posts and other than that one, it seems everyone else is speculating  just like we are. Until Princess cancel our Aussie itineraries - none of us REALLY know 🤔

3 hours ago, stki said:

Interesting Mic, The Royal Princess only appears once for that date(couldnt see any more up till end of Dec)  I wonder if it is a hold for the spot. Wishful thinking maybe 🙂

Tanya

I hope they come but as it shows the ship in Greece when it was supposed to have been here already doesn't  bode well.

23 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I hope they come but as it shows the ship in Greece when it was supposed to have been here already doesn't  bode well.

You could be right - but really hope you are wrong 🙏