Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

As for cruising in Australia  ,I think this is our best hope to convince our government to take the first step. The Queensland government wants it but it’s up to the clowns in Canberra.

A November start,Quantum would have been operating for a year.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/the-royal-caribbean-ship-that-has-beaten-covid-will-be-sailing-from-brisbane/

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That is what I have read that the government would want two weeks quarantine on land here in Australia prior to joining the ship, and of course very regular testing, limited exposure while cruising and that means limited passengers, no private shorex, etc

The issue with that is that the ships have to have a certain number of crew onboard to reposition here. Yes, the remainder of the crew could quarantine here but not all. In Singapore's case the ships were already there.

But all these things are issues that can be worked out and resolved.

It wouldn't be cruising as it was in the past, although it would eventually get back to close to that. I'd be happy doing some cruises to nowhere, as long as it's warm, as we just enjoy being at sea. I would find it frustrating not being able to just go ashore privately, especially in places where we like to catch up with friends rather than sightseeing.

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

As for cruising in Australia  ,I think this is our best hope to convince our government to take the first step. The Queensland government wants it but it’s up to the clowns in Canberra.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/the-royal-caribbean-ship-that-has-beaten-covid-will-be-sailing-from-brisbane/

I think if cruising does restart here it will be from Queensland. The run up and down the coast to FNQ is pretty if they take the route inside the GBR. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think if cruising does restart here it will be from Queensland. The run up and down the coast to FNQ is pretty if they take the route inside the GBR. 

I agree.  I was surprised how beautiful the inner Coastal cruise from Thursday Island to Sydney was.  I'm amazed at the lack of marketing of cruises to this Nth. Qld. region.  Although many regular cruisers were over the same NZ cruises and South Pacific cruises, no cruise line offered Qld Coastal to Thursday Island or Darwin, NT.  

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I agree.  I was surprised how beautiful the inner Coastal cruise from Thursday Island to Sydney was.  I'm amazed at the lack of marketing of cruises to this Nth. Qld. region.  Although many regular cruisers were over the same NZ cruises and South Pacific cruises, no cruise line offered Qld Coastal to Thursday Island or Darwin, NT.  

Princess used to operate regular Top End cruises in winter but that stopped after they got rid of Dawn Princess.

We were really lucky on a Golden Princess repositioning cruise to have a daytime transit through Torres Strait with a very interesting commentary from the pilot. It's a beautiful area.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

QLD coastal is a wonderful cruise route - we did our first ever cruise there.

All good to start cruising in QLD until the first scare there, and then the QLD govt will panic & refuse the ship to dock, leaving the passengers and crew in limbo, stuck on board. Some would say, great, there are worse things than being stuck on a cruiseship, until the reality of not being able to return to work etc hits.

50 minutes ago, mr walker said:

QLD coastal is a wonderful cruise route - we did our first ever cruise there.

All good to start cruising in QLD until the first scare there, and then the QLD govt will panic & refuse the ship to dock, leaving the passengers and crew in limbo, stuck on board. Some would say, great, there are worse things than being stuck on a cruiseship, until the reality of not being able to return to work etc hits.

My impression was cruising would be limited to Aust passengers (like NZ).

Governments have already opened up to 100% occupancy for theatres, high capacity crowds at sporting events, etc., so they must be confident of the low risk of catching the virus from the community.  

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Governments have already opened up to 100% occupancy for theatres, high capacity crowds at sporting events, etc., so they must be confident of the low risk of catching the virus from the community.  

Low risk, or perhaps manageable risk, yes. I foresee if there were cases on a cruiseship, there would likely be a reaction to "keep the community safe" by refusing the ship to dock, as the media, mainstream & social,  would be having a field day.

17 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Low risk, or perhaps manageable risk, yes. I foresee if there were cases on a cruiseship, there would likely be a reaction to "keep the community safe" by refusing the ship to dock, as the media, mainstream & social,  would be having a field day.

I agree the snap closures boggle the mind, I should not comment further.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

🤡 in Canberra, our mic is from Canberra, he is no 🤡 but there are a few feeding off our taxes.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Experts don’t expect our borders to open at least 2022 more like 2023.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/daunting-2023-prediction-for-australias-closed-border-084452455.html

I didn't read the story but there is a saying about experts... An "Ex" is a has been and a "spert" is just a drip under pressure.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I didn't read the story but there is a saying about experts... An "Ex" is a has been and a "spert" is just a drip under pressure.

I think it’s pretty realistic Lyle, the vacation problems we have  ,variations in the virus.

Plus we have a lot of asians here and it’s raging in some of those areas .

Our quarantine system isn’t up to speed to handle it.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it’s pretty realistic Lyle, the vacation problems we have  ,variations in the virus.

I think, IMHO, the only way our  fedgubberment will allow cruising (or any tourist entry)  is if we have full vaccination approaching that required for herd immunity. Maybe earlier, if there was a way of screening to allow entry only to those who have verifiable full vaccination. But (a big but) the science will need to show data as to how infectious a vaccinated person can be if they become infected with the virus post vaccination. Without the data my first sentence would seem the only way to go.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Please define "raging" because from where I am the virus isn't "raging" anywhere in Oz. The key is vaccination. I think that the tactic should not be focused on isolating but the full effort should be on inoculating and educating the timid that the shot is way more effective to make the virus less dangerous to your population.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I think, IMHO, the only way our  fedgubberment will allow cruising (or any tourist entry)  is if we have full vaccination approaching that required for herd immunity. Maybe earlier, if there was a way of screening to allow entry only to those who have verifiable full vaccination. But (a big but) the science will need to show data as to how infectious a vaccinated person can be if they become infected with the virus post vaccination. Without the data my first sentence would seem the only way to go.

Over 50’s will happen quickly but it’s the rest that will take time.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Experts don’t expect our borders to open at least 2022 more like 2023.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/daunting-2023-prediction-for-australias-closed-border-084452455.html

Headline aside they are mostly suggesting 2022 limited borders open. Considering we are into May and only just opened a bubble with NZ it does feel the timeline is pretty accurate unless something happens to accelerate our path 🙄

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Please define "raging" because from where I am the virus isn't "raging" anywhere in Oz. The key is vaccination. I think that the tactic should not be focused on isolating but the full effort should be on inoculating and educating the timid that the shot is way more effective to make the virus less dangerous to your population.

India has a bit of a problem at the moment and our federal government has stopped all flights.

There talk that stopping Australian passport holders the right to return home is unconstitutional .

So if they open the floodgates with a high court challenge our quarantine system will really be overwhelmed.

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

^^^This^^^

I wish I could give 100 likes. The more of us that get vaccinated the more of us that provide a barrier that prevents the virus to be able to jump to hosts and for variants to develop. There is a very tiny chance of vaccinated people getting infected but so far it appears their viral load and transmission rate is low.

Edited by frantic36

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Headline aside they are mostly suggesting 2022 limited borders open. Considering we are into May and only just opened a bubble with NZ it does feel the timeline is pretty accurate unless something happens to accelerate our path 🙄

I can’t see it happening buy early 2022.