Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

51 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

We don’t have the technology available in Oz to make Pfizer or Moderna.

There is talk of need for significant investment to be able to make mRNA based drugs here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-02-09/covid-19-vaccines-australia-mrna-medical-revolution/13132252

I think it’s a good move.

There’s a lot of the unknown and we don’t want to be caught out.

8 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

I've just booked a cruise that I'm fairly confident will happen! Granted, it's 3 hours long and cruising around our local bay but still!

It's onboard the MV Oceanic Victor and is part of our local SALT festival. There are 3 comedians on board, along with seafood tasting platters, a full bar and cocktails! It's a pity there are no cabins, we may be looking for one after all that!

And no tipping or formal nights, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Baseball caps on back the front, T-Shits, Stubbies and thongs?

A' la P&O Straya on formal nights? 🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

LOL, we are doing a lunchtime cruise on the lake here for the ACT cruisers group in May and we have made it formal.

Have you got the Boat Cloak and Top hat to go with that Mic? I hope you have supplied the lovely Rosie with some appropriate bling to go with her gown and elbow gloves 😁

Edited by Blackduck59

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Have you got the Boat Cloak and Top hat to go with that Mic? I hope you have supplied the lovely Rosie with some appropriate bling to go with her gown and elbow gloves 😁

Yes, I have a top hat for the occasion, and one never wears a Cape ever (The Incredibles:No Capes! - YouTube) - Rosie has enough bling to get by for the lunch.

52 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, I have a top hat for the occasion, and one never wears a Cape ever (The Incredibles:No Capes! - YouTube) - Rosie has enough bling to get by for the lunch.

Excellent, are you in white tie and tails? Or being lunch I guess morning dress. Yes I did see the Incredibles and you do have a point there. Enjoy your voyage.🍹

• Like 1

This is a copy of the main gist of an Deloitte article:

Australians keen to head overseas after getting the COVID-19 vaccine will have to wait another three years, according to a new report from economists.

Deloitte Access Economics’ quarterly business outlook report has warned international travel for Australians is not likely to open up widely until 2024.

Deloitte economist Chris Richardson concluded hotel quarantine will remain for incoming travellers to Australia for some period of time.

“That keeps international travel – both inbound and outbound – pretty weak in 2022, and it may not return to pre-pandemic levels until 2024,” he said.

The report, which was published before the vaccine rollout was delayed by new recommendations that the AstraZeneca vaccine not be given to people under 50 due to the risk of blood clotting has also affected Australians’ ability to travel overseas again.

While Australia has created a quarantine-free travel bubble with New Zealand, COVID cases can and are expected to force authorities to either pause or suspend travel across the ditch, depending on where future COVID outbreaks occur.

The bubble is set to open on April 18 at 11.59am with New Zealand Airlines and Qantas selling flights to and from the two nations.

I didn't expect international travel to be back to normal before 2023 anyway. Hopefully we'll see more bubbles opening up - South Pacific, some Asian countries etc. 

But that should not stop cruising recommencing domestically and within bubbles. It irritates me that we can travel all over Australia (mostly) and interact with other people in reasonably close quarters but can't cruise. During our recent trip people on the river cruise mingled without too .much social distancing. Adelaide and Melbourne markets were jam-packed. Some of the places we went to on Kangaroo Island were fairly crowded and the Melbourne pubs near where we were staying were heaving with people on the Friday night. A well-managed cruise ship would be far safer than some of those places.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I didn't expect international travel to be back to normal before 2023 anyway. Hopefully we'll see more bubbles opening up - South Pacific, some Asian countries etc. 

But that should not stop cruising recommencing domestically and within bubbles. It irritates me that we can travel all over Australia (mostly) and interact with other people in reasonably close quarters but can't cruise. During our recent trip people on the river cruise mingled without too .much social distancing. Adelaide and Melbourne markets were jam-packed. Some of the places we went to on Kangaroo Island were fairly crowded and the Melbourne pubs near where we were staying were heaving with people on the Friday night. A well-managed cruise ship would be far safer than some of those places.

I agree, but our federal and state govts are paranoid re covid. No one in govt wants to press the green button.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I agree, but our federal and state govts are paranoid re covid. No one in govt wants to press the green button.

Very shortsighted. If they kill off cruising in Australia they'll kill off a lot of future tourism. 

12 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

quite so Les.... Without the Vaccine we are dead in the water.... which is depressing...... 

I think people need to get real concerning  future cruising and international travel. It hurts me to say that, having family in the business.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think people need to get real concerning  future cruising and international travel. It hurts me to say that, having family in the business.

I think the governments need to get real about cruising, at least domestically. Being fraidy-cats with their heads buried in the sand is just stupid but, of course, none of their big business supporters have a finger in the cruise industry pie so, of course, they aren't making any effort to get it started again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the governments need to get real about cruising, at least domestically. Being fraidy-cats with their heads buried in the sand is just stupid but, of course, none of their big business supporters have a finger in the cruise industry pie so, of course, they aren't making any effort to get it started again.

Totally agree with you Julie. Hey have a cheapie but drinkable Pinot noir for  you and Rolf to try...I bought a couple from Dans, Mcguigan The Plan Pinot Noir. $9 when I bought it. 

• Like 1

In regards to the NT not allowing ships of more than 100 people on board enter NT waters, i read an article where they were questioning why they allowed the 350 people off the Ghan each week. Not a great decision for tourism.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

In regards to the NT not allowing ships of more than 100 people on board enter NT waters, i read an article where they were questioning why they allowed the 350 people off the Ghan each week. Not a great decision for tourism.

Agree, having been on Ghan and Indian Pacific, one is pretty close in the lounge cars and dining cars.  No fresh air balconies either.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

An interesting, but rather brief, item on Channel 7 news in Melbourne suggested overseas holidays travel for everyday Australians won't resume until 2024; thoughts?

Paul in Melbourne

9 minutes ago, pn1 said:

An interesting, but rather brief, item on Channel 7 news in Melbourne suggested overseas holidays travel for everyday Australians won't resume until 2024; thoughts?

Paul in Melbourne

I didn't see the item on 7.  However I think Aussies will be able to travel overseas to visit family and friends before then.  However, I think cruises, as we knew them visiting lots of different countries, could be that late.  In the meantime, I think there will be more cruising in local areas, limited to local people.  Maybe more travel bubbles like Aus/NZ.  

Of course, if a drug is developed to give immunity to the virus, this will open up the world sooner.  

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

However I think Aussies will be able to travel overseas to visit family and friends before then.

You are probably right, but you would still have to do 14 day quarantine on return - at your own expense - until our Govt says otherwise. To remove these conditions, they need to remove them for EVERYONE returning / arriving into Aus.

Can’t see this happening soon 🤔

3 hours ago, pn1 said:

Paul in Melbourne

I think the kind of overseas holidays to anywhere we were used to pre-pandemic won't be viable until then but travel to selected bubble countries will probably happen earlier. Well, it's already happening with NZ. So the South Pacific and some Asian countries might become viable holiday options in the next year or so but for Europe and the US that prediction is probably fairly close.

Unfortunately cruising has two hurdles to overcome - the international travel bans plus the governments' fear factor.