Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

20 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But we don't need to borders open to have some domestic cruising around Australia and NZ. We don't need overseas tourists to fill those ships especially if they are operating with a reduced passenger count.

Do we really have enough potential cruisers to "fill those ships". Have there been any statistical studies? Is the average Joe Public keen to sail after the Princess Ruby fiasco? Will vaccines be required to cruise? How many ships? Will deals be done between government and cruise companies? What conditions will apply?

I'm not convinced at this stage.

34 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

But ships crew are not Australian and would need to go through quarantine here (not on the ship) , so which  cruise line is going to go through that expense

But would they have to quarantine here? If the crews undergo some form of quarantine before boarding the ship, then the ship takes 14 or more days to reach Australia with no stops on the way why would they need extra quarantine time? The time spent on the ship with no outside contacts should be quarantine enough. The most they should need to do is get tested on arrival in Australia, and the ship would need to wait until all tests come back negative (as they should) be for passengers are allowed to embark.

53 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Do we really have enough potential cruisers to "fill those ships". Have there been any statistical studies? Is the average Joe Public keen to sail after the Princess Ruby fiasco? Will vaccines be required to cruise? How many ships? Will deals be done between government and cruise companies? What conditions will apply?

I'm not convinced at this stage.

Yes, I think we do have enough potential cruisers. I've been on a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and a Top End cruise where almost all the passengers were from Australia or NZ and those cruises were full. Ships sailing at 50% capacity should have no problems filling those cabins.

The average Joe Public who has never cruised before will probably be scared off by all the negative publicity but I suspect a high percentage of regular cruisers will happily take the first chance offered to them to cruise again.

I hope vaccines will be required, and a test on embarkation as is being used elsewhere. There is already proven procedures that RCI, Dream, MSC and whatever the other European line is, have been using to provide maximum Covid safety onboard.

The smart thing would be to invite the major cruise lines to operate one ship each here, or two at most, during the 21/22 season. Start with short cruises to nowhere, then slightly longer cruises with one or two port stops, and so on. The ships could rotate between ports over the season so we all get a chance to cruise on our favourite lines. If there is sufficient demand those ships might even be able to winter over here in 2022 doing Top End and Queensland itineraries, and even South Pacific itineraries if a bubble opens up to suitable countries there.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

But ships crew are not Australian and would need to go through quarantine here (not on the ship) , so which  cruise line is going to go through that expense

The cruise lines will try and cut corners, not vaccinate all crew and no quarantine, you watch.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But would they have to quarantine here? If the crews undergo some form of quarantine before boarding the ship, then the ship takes 14 or more days to reach Australia with no stops on the way why would they need extra quarantine time? The time spent on the ship with no outside contacts should be quarantine enough. The most they should need to do is get tested on arrival in Australia, and the ship would need to wait until all tests come back negative (as they should) be for passengers are allowed to embark.

The government won't  go for that even if it makes sense

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The cruise lines will try and cut corners, not vaccinate all crew and no quarantine, you watch.

I don't believe the cruise lines would try to cut corners by not vaccinating crew. Pre-COVID, all crew on Princess had to have a flu shot. Why would COVID be any different?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The government won't  go for that even if it makes sense

I know but I can hope. But since our governments don't understand sense it's a slim hope.🙄

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I don't believe that. There would be too much at stake if an outbreak happened.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The problem with that is that if they are mixing on the ship, it is like dominos.  An extreme example might be that one person passes it on to someone else, who a couple of days later passes it to someone else, who a couple of days later....Now I know that's an unlikely example but fourteen days travel can't count as quarantine if they are mixing with each other.

Given the option of cruising people will be keen to do so albeit with safety measures in place.

Being fully vaccinated, staff and passengers will not ensure TOTAL freedom from Covid19 infection or transmission.

It will help but nothing is 100%.

More is being learnt about the virus and in time infection control and detection will improve.

People want to travel and cruising is ideal for many. 

Planes are packed at present. There is demand. 

2 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The problem with that is that if they are mixing on the ship, it is like dominos.  An extreme example might be that one person passes it on to someone else, who a couple of days later passes it to someone else, who a couple of days later....Now I know that's an unlikely example but fourteen days travel can't count as quarantine if they are mixing with each other.

But if they had a quarantine before joining the ship, then 14 days or more bringing this ship to Australia, then all the crew having to have a negative test before passengers could embark, it should be OK. Remember RCI and Dream cruises are currently operating out of Singapore with no issues. Dream cruises is also operating out of Taiwan with no issues. MSC and another line operated in the Med last year with no issues. Why should Australia be any different? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But if they had a quarantine before joining the ship, then 14 days or more bringing this ship to Australia, then all the crew having to have a negative test before passengers could embark, it should be OK. Remember RCI and Dream cruises are currently operating out of Singapore with no issues. Dream cruises is also operating out of Taiwan with no issues. MSC and another line operated in the Med last year with no issues. Why should Australia be any different? 

I'm sorry I missed your note about quarantining before they joined the ship.  I thought you meant quarantining on the journey.  My mistake.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

The science is there to start cruises but I think the problem is our government doesn’t want 3,000 people in a confident space for a week.

Which is why the number of passengers needs to be reduced initially to about 50%. Not sure what that makes the numbers for the big RCI ships but most other lines could keep it below 1500 passengers.

But even with that our governments will not allow it, I suspect. They're scared they might be accountable if there is another screw-up that would turn out to be their fault. 🙄

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Which is why the number of passengers needs to be reduced initially to about 50%. Not sure what that makes the numbers for the big RCI ships but most other lines could keep it below 1500 passengers.

But even with that our governments will not allow it, I suspect. They're scared they might be accountable if there is another screw-up that would turn out to be their fault. 🙄

I think in their feeble mind ,they are thinking of 1500 people with the virus spreading when they disembarke.

As I said the science is there but these clowns won’t let it happen.

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think cruise offers has gone bust?

It was one of the biggest cruise agents are no more.

Possibly, their website is down but they could be doing maintenance. Sunday nights are popular times for site maintenance.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Possibly, their website is down but they could be doing maintenance. Sunday nights are popular times for site maintenance.

Their parent company travelrite is still going ,they have some cruises.

Looks like they are diversified into land tours.

Theres some good ones ,have a look.

On 4/14/2021 at 3:28 PM, mr walker said:

Perhaps a guide for what the cruiselines, in this case RC, are thinking at this point.

The charter company that had chartered Ovation OTS for the 'Super' Music Cruise on 23Nov 2021 (replacing the 2 cancelled music cruises on Serenade OTS in 2020) now advise that the cruise is cancelled and is now scheduled for 9-16Nov 2022.

The cruise was scheduled to go to Sth Pacific Islands, but the entertainment was the selling point rather than the itinerary, and doesn't look that perhaps a cruise to nowhere (or local) was an option.

Note: we had originally booked for one of the 2020 cruises, but elected and received a refund last year.

@mr walker

Tavelrite has a few music land tours?

• Like 1

Just now, Chiliburn said:

I think in their feeble mind ,they are thinking of 1500 people with the virus spreading when they disembarke.

As I said the science is there but these clowns won’t let it happen.

Yes, the operative word is clowns. No common sense, no understanding of proposed Covid safety procedures for cruising. Passengers + cruise ship = Covid outbreak. That's all they see. 🤬 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't believe the cruise lines would try to cut corners by not vaccinating crew. Pre-COVID, all crew on Princess had to have a flu shot. Why would COVID be any different?

There is an issue whether we will except their vaccines. A lot of the countries that crew come from are using the Chinese vaccine and it's efficacy is in dispute😕

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But if they had a quarantine before joining the ship, 

But who will be responsible for this quarantine? The country of origin, the country they board in or the cruise line😳

Edited by ilikeanswers

With Singapore,they have a 2 week quarantine overseen by the Singapore government.

How Royal Caribbean does it ,is the crew is quarantined before joining the ship.They are tested regularly onboard and have separate cabins.

The ship would probably pick up boarder force in Darwin  to test and quarantine the ship for two weeks on the way to Brisbane.

Royal Caribbean said they plan to bring Quantum of the seas to Brisbane at the end of the year. As Quantum is the ship that has set the world standards for safe cruising and they want to set the standard for Australia.

I don’t think it will happen ,our government did a job with Ruby Princess and they don’t want to do it again.

Edited by Chiliburn

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

With Singapore,they have a 2 week quarantine overseen by the Singapore government.

How Royal Caribbean does it ,is the crew is quarantined before joining the ship.They are tested regularly onboard and have separate cabins.

The ship would probably pick up boarder force in Darwin  to test and quarantine the ship for two weeks on the way to Brisbane.

Royal Caribbean said they plan to bring Quantum of the seas to Brisbane at the end of the year. As Quantum is the ship that has set the world standards for safe cruising and they want to set the standard for Australia.

I don’t think it will happen ,our government did a job with Ruby Princess and they don’t want to do it again.

That is what I have read that the government would want two weeks quarantine on land here in Australia prior to joining the ship, and of course very regular testing, limited exposure while cruising and that means limited passengers, no private shorex, etc