Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

There is a brilliant rhododendron garden in the Dandenong. Used to be called that National Rhododendron Gardens.

Plus lots of azaleas and other flowering things.

They say Late June to Early December.

https://www.lithgowmercury.com.au/story/5039349/rhodo-festival-in-the-mist/

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Julie...I think I told you my son did a few trips to Hobart in recent months trying to get ok from Tas Govt to operate an expedition ship south from Hobart in Australian Waters, no luck.  At least Hobart City Council are giving him a bit of support (He is Director now)  for the Mawsons Hut Foundation - Museum on Hobart Waterfront, waiving rates, water, electricity charges. 

Yes, you did Les. The blasted governments are all sitting there with their blinkers on, ignoring what protocols the cruise lines are promoting, ignoring the examples of successful Covid-safe cruising in Singapore and elsewhere, totally paranoid about having another Ruby event instead of realizing that it was a) an event that was of its time i.e. minimal precautions were being taken then and international visitors were still arriving freely, and b) the main problem was caused by a stuff up by the NSW govt not the cruise line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Julie...I think I told you my son did a few trips to Hobart in recent months trying to get ok from Tas Govt to operate an expedition ship south from Hobart in Australian Waters, no luck.  At least Hobart City Council are giving him a bit of support (He is Director now)  for the Mawsons Hut Foundation - Museum on Hobart Waterfront, waiving rates, water, electricity charges. 

That is good that the Hobart City Council is providing support for Mawsons Hut Foundation, by way of waving fees.  It is in a prime location, esp for cruise ships.

I can't understand why Aust Govt doesn't support expedition ships south of Hobart.  People travel the world to cruise from Argentina.  Why not from Aust?  

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

We did Tassie in October 2014 and saw some extremely good Rhododendrons at that time.

I love the gardens in Hobart, but haven't been there in Spring.  I visit in January for Aust Wooden Boat Festival.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is good that the Hobart City Council is providing support for Mawsons Hut Foundation, by way of waving fees.  It is in a prime location, esp for cruise ships.

I can't understand why Aust Govt doesn't support expedition ships south of Hobart.  People travel the world to cruise from Argentina.  Why not from Aust?  

Perhaps there is a fear about what would happen if there is an outbreak in the middle of nowhere🤔? I would imagine getting medical aid out there might be expensive perhaps no one is willing to take on the cost 😳

We finally received the remainder of our refund from Crystal for the May 2020 cruise that was cancelled 4th April 2020. We did a credit card chargeback after five months but could only recover the final payment that way, about 75%.  It took them close to a year to refund the balance and we've probably lost a few hundred dollars due to the exchange rate differences. We won't be cruising with that cruise line again.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I feel the reason is that the Antarctic Peninsula (as well as South Georgia -fantastic - and Falkland Is) is easily reached from South America. I don't see the areas that can be reached from Australia as so appealing to tourists.

9 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel the reason is that the Antarctic Peninsula (as well as South Georgia -fantastic - and Falkland Is) is easily reached from South America. I don't see the areas that can be reached from Australia as so appealing to tourists.

Agree Falkland Islands and South Georgia are highlights of any visit to Antarctica.  Trips to Antarctica would need to include islands south of NZ and Aus., which would make cruise even longer.   However there are cruisers who would be attracted to the adventure.  There is an adventurous cruiser, on cc and trip advisor, who has cruised from Aust via Antarctica to Argentina, with a helicopter on the ship (Perth ?).  

9 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

ht

Ushaia bottom of Argentina is used as the main Antarctic Expedition ship port as it is the shortest hop to the real Antarctic, across ye olde Drake Passage, a rough stretch of water at times.

We called in there, 2014 on Golden Princess, doing Around Cape Horn, BA to LA. Nice little town, steeped in maritime history, like many port towns around the world.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Ushaia bottom of Argentina is used as the main Antarctic Expedition ship port as it is the shortest hop to the real Antarctic, across ye olde Drake Passage, a rough stretch of water at times.

We called in there, 2014 on Golden Princess, doing Around Cape Horn, BA to LA. Nice little town, steeped in maritime history, like many port towns around the world.

Agree it is a nice little interesting town.  I chose to wander around the town rather than to do an excursion before my cruise.  There was silence when the guide asked where we were going next as we were going to Falkland Islands.  When we returned we had delays disembarking because Captain couldn't get approval to clear ship from Auths.  We were saved at the end of the day by a crew member in greasy overalls who spoke in local language to Auths.  Fortunately, our ship was from Norway rather than Britain.  

16 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is not as well known but the Ross Sea I have heard is pretty spectacular however it does take a lot longer, plus there are more sea days and generally speaking people who do more adventurous cruises are usually sea day adverse😆

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is not as well known but the Ross Sea I have heard is pretty spectacular however it does take a lot longer, plus there are more sea days and generally speaking people who do more adventurous cruises are usually sea day adverse😆

A big attraction from memory is the penguin species which can only been seen there.  

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

A big attraction from memory is the penguin species which can only been seen there.  

Research "Trip Advisor" - "Antarctic Adventures Forum" and ask Perfectly Perth (Aussie expert on cruising to Antarctica)

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree it is a nice little interesting town.  I chose to wander around the town rather than to do an excursion before my cruise.  There was silence when the guide asked where we were going next as we were going to Falkland Islands.  When we returned we had delays disembarking because Captain couldn't get approval to clear ship from Auths.  We were saved at the end of the day by a crew member in greasy overalls who spoke in local language to Auths.  Fortunately, our ship was from Norway rather than Britain.  

Yes before we got to the 'bottom of the world they told us not to wear our 'Welcome to the Falklands' T shirts we bought in Stanley. The Argies get a bit upset, I wonder why? 🤣

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes before we got to the 'bottom of the world they told us not to wear our 'Welcome to the Falklands' T shirts we bought in Stanley. The Argies get a bit upset, I wonder why? 🤣

Ha ha  We went to Falklands afterwards but we weren't telling them!   Port Auths were being difficult in Buenos Aires also prior to our cruise.  I was glad I wasn't getting on a cruise there.  We had a bit of excitement on arrival, as our plane landed in the next country because of a storm.  We weren't allowed off the plane, which just sat on the tarmac until the weather cleared.  By the time we  got to BA, the owner of the property we had rented had reported us to AirBnB for not cancelling our booking.  He was not happy!  We had to get a taxi to his house to get key.  Due to language barrier taxi driver took us to rental property first.  Nice man turned off his meter when he realised his mistake.  Moral of story always book in to a 24 hour hotel when arriving on a flight.  When we returned from Antarctica we stayed in another of his properties.  Two girls had checked out and were due to fly out that night.  Moral of their story is don't go to a less safe part of town with all your valuable property (passport, money, etc.).  It was all stolen on a railway station.  Owner of AirBnB had to help them get new passport, find accommodation, etc.  So he had two really bad rental days!!

• Haha 1

Apparently there’s a new strain of the virus called the  p1 stain that came from Brazil.

Doctors in Europe where it is currently taking a hold say it’s immune to the vaccines. It’s predicted it’s 150 times more potent.

Dont go packing those bags just yet.

Chiliburn:

Apparently there’s a new strain of the virus called the  p1 stain that came from Brazil.

Doctors in Europe where it is currently taking a hold say it’s immune to the vaccines. It’s predicted it’s 150 times more potent.

I found this information and thought I'd share 🙂

What to know about the P1 mutant COVID-19 strain in Shelby County |

A Q&A with Dr. Manoj Jain

In cities in Brazil where it originated, the P1 mutant strain has caused devastation with a huge number of COVID-19 cases as well as hospitalization.

Dr. Manoj Jain
Guest Columnist
Posted 5:32 am on 4/1/21

Does the vaccine work at all against the P1 mutant stain?

Yes. This is a really important point to know. Recent studies show that though the mutant P1 strain may have slightly lower antibody efficacy of the vaccine, there appears to be good T-cell immunity against the P1 mutant strain. Overall the vaccine will be very protective against severe Covid disease, hospitalization and death. As for the B117 mutant strain, also known as the “UK strain” all the vaccines are very efficacious. 

Edited by Dgoddess61

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

What is your source for these claims?

43 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

What is your source for these claims?

I was listening to a ABC radio interview last night  with a Italian virus doctor.

Also this one.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-brazil-top-doctor-warns-of-new-covid19-virus-killing-the-young-in-their-thousands/f4954f85-a1fb-4c38-b255-651daed725e4

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I could not find in your reference that "it’s immune to the vaccines."