Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I can’t see it happening buy early 2022.

I could see us having a bubble with some Pacific Islands and I think Taiwan would be realistic, maybe even stretch to Vietnam🤔. But opening up to the whole world does feel like a 2023 thing at the rate we are currently going 😕

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

I could see us having a bubble with some Pacific Islands and I think Taiwan would be realistic, maybe even stretch to Vietnam🤔. But opening up to the whole world does feel like a 2023 thing at the rate we are currently going 😕

Singapore,?we can go on a cruise.

5 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

But you have to social distance and wear a mask😂 Reading the CC boards most westerners see that as a non starter😉

You don't have to wear a mask once seated at a bar or restaurant, not sure about outdoor places like the pool surrounds and Princess Sanctuary.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You don't have to wear a mask once seated at a bar or restaurant, not sure about outdoor places like the pool surrounds and Princess Sanctuary.

This one is RCI. It looks like masks are optional outdoors. Though from what I read about Dream Cruises they do wear masks outdoors. Can't find information about Princess policies. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

51 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

That is some serious words.

@OzKiwiJJ     Being awarded Crown&Anchor membership.

I've already got Crown&Anchor membership. We did a cruise on Rhapsody in 2015. We enjoyed the cruise overall but find Princess and Celebrity suit us better.

• Like 1

Simon Birmingham just announced the following:-

Finance Minister Simon Birmingham said despite the rollout of the vaccine, global outbreaks and new mutant strains, such as those in India, left the world facing as much uncertainty as ever.

He said this meant Australia’s international borders – which have largely locked Australians in since March 2020 – would likely remain shut well into next year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Finance Minister Simon Birmingham said despite the rollout of the vaccine, global outbreaks and new mutant strains, such as those in India, left the world facing as much uncertainty as ever.

He said this meant Australia’s international borders – which have largely locked Australians in since March 2020 – would likely remain shut well into next year.

Well it is inevitable but a reality.   We must keep the country safe. Another year of closure at least perhaps.  

The cruise lines, airlines and the travel industry generally  will be be devastated at the above statement.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

I will apologize in advance for commenting on politics in Australia but what Mr. Birmingham is saying is actually, We have screwed up the vaccine roll out and although we promise we are doing our best the program is a waste of time.

Even our feeble program in Canada should have everyone who wants to be vaccinated will be done by September. We have also approved the Pfizer vaccine for anyone over the age of 12.

This should be an election issue and it should have every Australian p****d to the max that the answer to the situation is to lock down everything (except of course those sports that the PM likes). 

Edited by Blackduck59
spelling
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will apologize in advance for commenting on politics in Australia but what Mr. Birmingham is saying is actually, We have screwed up the vaccine roll out and although we promise we are doing our best the program is a waste of time.

Even our feeble program in Canada should have everyone who wants to be vaccinated will be done by September. We have also approved the Pfizer vaccine for anyone over the age of 12.

This should be an election issue and it should have every Australian p****d to the max that the answer to the situation is to lock down everything (except of course those sports that the PM likes). 

Well said Lyle, I just feel the government here is paranoid about another Ruby Princess saga if they open our borders, hence they will give no dates, which does not help you and other international travellers.

The meat pies and lager await your arrival..

204584307_th(3).jpg.c714d8c8cd6595cf16612ac78e17f101.jpg

All the best, hard to do, but think positive mate.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Well said Lyle, I just feel the government here is paranoid about another Ruby Princess saga if they open our borders, hence they will give no dates, which does not help you and other international travellers.

All the best, hard to do, but think positive mate.

Thanks Les. The message should be "We are going to get everyone vaccinated and kick this virus in the a**". There is no data to suggest that any "variant" is resistant to the vaccine, the situation in India is a perfect storm of over population, poor health facilities and most importantly lack of vaccination.

My comments have less to do with our desire to visit Australia but more a major question as to what thought process came up with the ongoing lack of response to get ahead of this thing. Get everyone vaccinated NOW. Instead of telling your people that they should be okay living under random lock down when there are 3 new cases in a week the message should be, "We are moving heaven and earth to get all the vaccines we need" and that every Australian should think that getting vaccinated is their duty as citizens.

Rant over and again apologies for commenting on politics in Australia and on this forum.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Les. The message should be "We are going to get everyone vaccinated and kick this virus in the a**". There is no data to suggest that any "variant" is resistant to the vaccine, the situation in India is a perfect storm of over population, poor health facilities and most importantly lack of vaccination.

My comments have less to do with our desire to visit Australia but more a major question as to what thought process came up with the ongoing lack of response to get ahead of this thing. Get everyone vaccinated NOW. Instead of telling your people that they should be okay living under random lock down when there are 3 new cases in a week the message should be, "We are moving heaven and earth to get all the vaccines we need" and that every Australian should think that getting vaccinated is their duty as citizens.

Rant over and again apologies for commenting on politics in Australia and on this forum.

It has become a big election issue here. Two recent state and one territory elections saw sitting parties returned. Liberal in Tasmania atm a one seat majority with two still undecided.. Labor in NT and a massive win by Labor in WA winning 53 of 59 seat where the Liberals (same party as PM) lost 11 seats. Hence PM ScoMo is struggling to hang on to his one seat majority with an election due in the next twelve months. There'll be a lot of political shenanigans between now and then.

BTW, there's no need to apologise - you are Canadian😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest the elections were won because of the situation at the time, lockdowns were working and no vaccine was available. Now the natives are going to get restless and there is a vaccine. If the government wants to stay in power get on with the vaccines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well said and I totally agree. I am concerned that even despite our excellent contact tracing it is still possible for it to get into the community ie the new case in NSW which though I am hopeful it won't be an issue.

What worries me is with poor vaccine rollout and hesitancy is that we are like dry grass in Summer that a lit tinder causes a bushfire that will be hard to control.

Not to mention the various rule changes and restrictions that play with people's mental health as it is hard to plan things.

• Like 1

As well as the legal challenge to people/Australians not being able to return albeit a temporary ban, there is also a challenge to the mandatory do not travel overseas law in place now for over a year.

Some are reporting extreme distress and trauma at being denied exceptions repeatedly.

Difficult situation with no end in sight.

People need hope.

Telling the public even with mass vaccines the govt will not open the border until next year, maybe, is grim. 

Trouble is they seem to get a few things wrong, for example GST has nothing to do with international waters. 

Mistakes like that make you wonder about the rest of the issues.

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Trouble is they seem to get a few things wrong, for example GST has nothing to do with international waters. 

Mistakes like that make you wonder about the rest of the issues.

Isn't the author saying that as the ships will be based in Australian ports GST could be charged on fuel etc? But if that is the case it would have already been happening, so shouldn't affect fare structures.

Leigh

There’s was a mention of 1&2 night cruises for large ships.

If that was a regular thing it would probably be under domestic law ???

But then the ship is registered overseas and we haven’t thought about union’s yet.

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Isn't the author saying that as the ships will be based in Australian ports GST could be charged on fuel etc? But if that is the case it would have already been happening, so shouldn't affect fare structures.

Leigh

They seem to be getting away with it Leigh.

Probably because they regularly leave Australian waters.

My understanding was that for 'domestic cruises' GST would be payable on the cruise fares, so that travelling into international waters means no GST on fares as well as duty fee being allowed.

So, I know most would pay a premium at this time just to get onboard, but would a 10% surcharge on top of that be acceptable?

On 3/16/2020 at 1:40 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just for a bit of fun post a prediction for when you think cruising will recommence in various regions. One point for each correct prediction, I'll keep a spreadsheet.

1. Australia/NZ/South Pacific

2. Asia out of Singapore

3. Japan

4. China 

5. Alaska

6. Caribbean

7. Mediterranean

8. Baltic

If you think of any I've missed let me know.

Hmmm! I'll have to think about this. 😄

South America

46 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

South America

Missed, Europe/ British Isles/USA/Canada/Scandinavia/Panama Canal inc Central America.

My prediction 2023 for the lot.

Edited by NSWP