Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

31 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We booked Hawaii a couple of times. Now resigned to it never happening. Maybe another round Australia one day, after something short to see if the body can handle the vibrations.

Fair enough Gut.  Well after 22 cruises worldwide and a heap of other travel here and overseas I have made a decision not to cruise any more or take any big trips.   Due to health and financial constraints, having to support my son whose travel business Chimu has almost crashed and my daughter who has had to take 4 months off work to do an unpaid placement in a hospital as part of her Masters Degree in Social work (Counselling etc.)

I will probably hang around CC for a bit for some social interaction, if you know what I mean.😢

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Fair enough Gut.  Well after 22 cruises worldwide and a heap of other travel here and overseas I have made a decision not to cruise any more or take any big trips.   Due to health and financial constraints, having to support my son whose travel business Chimu has almost crashed and my daughter who has had to take 4 months off work to do an unpaid placement in a hospital as part of her Masters Degree in Social work (Counselling etc.)

I will probably hang around CC for a bit for some social interaction, if you know what I mean.😢

The insurance industry in Aust will kill any possibility of cruises inc Hawaii for seniors. 

Cruise lines may have to offer cruises inc insurance to attract senior passengers.

28 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The insurance industry in Aust will kill any possibility of cruises inc Hawaii for seniors. 

Cruise lines may have to offer cruises inc insurance to attract senior passengers.

Our last cruise was in May 2019, Sydney to Honolulu on Noordam. Insurance cost me $2000 then for cruise and a week in Waikikki.  I was declined the free ANZ credit card insurance with Allianz due to existing conditions, even when I offered to pay some $.   Now apparently there is no travel insurance that will cover covid.

I read elsewhere someone on the May 2022 Coral Princess Worldie (if it goes) was quoted $25000 for travel insurance. Ye Gods.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Our last cruise was in May 2019, Sydney to Honolulu on Noordam. Insurance cost me $2000 then for cruise and a week in Waikikki.  I was declined the free ANZ credit card insurance with Allianz due to existing conditions, even when I offered to pay some $.   Now apparently there is no travel insurance that will cover covid.

I read elsewhere someone on the May 2022 Coral Princess Worldie (if it goes) was quoted $25000 for travel insurance. Ye Gods.

It cost us a serious amount for an annual policy that covered an NZ cruise, a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and a South Pacific cruise in 2019. We took out another annual p ollicy, not including US ports this time so $1000 or so cheaper, just before Covid hit. That is currently "on hold" with about ten months still valid.

Yes, a lot of people will cancel world cruises if they can't get affordable travel insurance. Some might take the risk to wear any costs themselves but most people aren't in a position to do that especially if the cruise goes anywhere near the US.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It cost us a serious amount for an annual policy that covered an NZ cruise, a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and a South Pacific cruise in 2019. We took out another annual p ollicy, not including US ports this time so $1000 or so cheaper, just before Covid hit. That is currently "on hold" with about ten months still valid.

Yes, a lot of people will cancel world cruises if they can't get affordable travel insurance. Some might take the risk to wear any costs themselves but most people aren't in a position to do that especially if the cruise goes anywhere near the US.

I learnt how expensive insurance was in Aust when my daughter lived in London. I would book us low cost flights to Europe from London.  
My last cruise which was booked in London inc flights to Norway.  UK Govt travel insurance covered the cost of the package.

I don’t insure Aust travel so will save insurance money.

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I learnt how expensive insurance was in Aust when my daughter lived in London. I would book us low cost flights to Europe from London.  
My last cruise which was booked in London inc flights to Norway.  UK Govt travel insurance covered the cost of the package.

I don’t insure Aust travel so will save insurance money.

Usually there is no need to insure land travel in Australia as Medicare applies everywhere. But on a cruise it's still essential even if the cruise only goes to Australian ports. Onboard medical centre fees are very high not to mention the cost of a medevac flight if you needed it.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Usually there is no need to insure land travel in Australia as Medicare applies everywhere. But on a cruise it's still essential even if the cruise only goes to Australian ports. Onboard medical centre fees are very high not to mention the cost of a medevac flight if you needed it.

I couldn’t get insurance on the ferry trip from Cairns to Thursday Island with my regular

insurer. When I phoned to see why after my no claims on annual travel they said it was Because it was longer than 4 months prior to the cruise.  I cancelled my booking but wished I’d gone now.  I might do another trip to TI and Cape York by flights and just ferry around TI!

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

You better hang around! Some of us like to communicate with you & I plan to visit you again when we get past this damn thing!! Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

When I made our booking for the 35 day Hawaii direct with Princess, they offered us insurance with Covermore. Too early for us to take insurance as the 4 month applies to me, over 75, we usually go with InsureandGo.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Please stay with us Les, even if you don't plan to cruise again.💘

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

When I made our booking for the 35 day Hawaii direct with Princess, they offered us insurance with Covermore. Too early for us to take insurance as the 4 month applies to me, over 75, we usually go with InsureandGo.

Can you take up that Princess option later if necessary?

42 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

They were my insurer who refused insurance on Aust cruise. Cover more used to be expensive.  

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Please stay with us Les, even if you don't plan to cruise again.💘

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

My daughter took 12 months leave from work to do a Masters in Psychology in Melbourne. 
ended up doing the expensive degree on line at home when Unis closed down.  I admire your daughter and mine for wanting to advance their skills at their own expense.  Once people are all vaccinated I feel your son’s business will pick up.  People are starved for travel experiences again.  I notice Hurtigruten are selling cruises to Antarctica again.

Just wondering   what will the main conversation will be this time next year......???

Barrel chairs. butter... formal nights... this medallion thingie...( they are being back cruise cards )

well one can dream.........     but first the red and white boat....  

Don

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Just wondering   what will the main conversation will be this time next year......???

Barrel chairs. butter... formal nights... this medallion thingie...( they are being back cruise cards )

Don

I will happily talk about barrel chairs, butter or formal nights. In the past I haven't got excited about any of them but who knows in the future?

37 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

Pluses and minuses of the medallion.

Cruising isn't what it used to be before the virus!

32 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Bingo Julie..... one is some what concerned    ... will I like the changed product ???

only time will tell....   Don

As long as someone is cooking my meals, someone is keeping my cabin clean, the food is reasonably good, the wine is flowing, there's decent music to listen to, and I can watch the ocean and the bow wave creaming away from the ship, then I'll be happy. 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I wonder why now they deleted it🤔

Not enough cruise related content I would imagine.

Anyway, returning to the thread title, I see a Federal election as happening on either May 14th or 21st 2022. As late as can be, so as to allow Morrison to remove as much of the lingering odour of his pandemic efforts as possible.

Give them a few weeks to settle in after the inevitable cabinet reshuffle (or who knows maybe even a new government?), then I think they will tell the cruise lines to start up in 3 months.

So my prediction for a restart of Australian cruising is 1st October 2022.

• Like 1