Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

32 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Did I get this wrong 🤔 wasn’t it the “Opposition Leader” - Albanese who touted the $300 incentive for vaccination?

Sure was…get the country in more debt..easy to make promises when you know you will never have to fulfil them.

9 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Sure was…get the country in more debt..easy to make promises when you know you will never have to fulfil them.

Thought so, easy to make ridiculous promises when there are no  consequences to himself 🙄

Edited by Porky55

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

And yet you technically did respond😂. Doesn't give you hope against fake news if that is still being perpetuated🙄. It wouldn't surprise me if 10 years from now we hear of people drinking bleach to prevent Covid-19😒

Except it wasn't fake news. 

Howard government baby bonus
The payment now known as Baby Bonus was introduced by the Howard Government in 2004. It was then called 'Maternity Payment' and was a non-means tested lump sum replacement of the First Child Tax Rebate and the Maternity Allowance.

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

Except it wasn't fake news. 

Howard government baby bonus
The payment now known as Baby Bonus was introduced by the Howard Government in 2004. It was then called 'Maternity Payment' and was a non-means tested lump sum replacement of the First Child Tax Rebate and the Maternity Allowance.

Except it wasn't a payment to have babies. That was what bothered me about the whole anti campaign. They made it sound like they were paying women to have babies so people were getting pregnant just to have a lump sum payment. My community kept being piled on by the media as if we were some sort of baby factory even though stats showed no significant rise in birth rate😡. It was absolutely disgusting behaviour from the media and politicians and completely fake news. 

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Well that Australian Government. You got a payment for having a baby. It was Howard Government I think from memory.

This is the history of the Baby Bonus.

The government of Andrew Fisher introduced a baby bonus of £5[1] per child in late 1912. The bonus was available irrespective of marital status and could also be received by husbands of women who died in childbirth. While Fisher told parliament that the aim was to help mothers in their time of need, the intention was also to increase birth and infant survival rates in the country.[2]

The baby bonus scheme was reintroduced by the Federal Government of Australia in the 2002 budget was aimed at offsetting the expenses associated with bearing a child. The scheme was also introduced as a means of increasing Australia's fertility rate and to mitigate the effects of Australia's ageing population.

I had my children well before 2002 and seem to remember receiving a payment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Well that Australian Government. You got a payment for having a baby. It was Howard Government I think from memory.

I can remember when I had my first baby, 46 years ago, the Australian Govt paid me every week for having a child - child endowment it was called. And as a young newly married couple it was highly appreciated. DH had a full time job - child endowment just was a nice to have.

That was the Australian Govt. in 1975 but it had been around for a long time even then

Edited by Porky55

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

This is the history of the Baby Bonus.

The government of Andrew Fisher introduced a baby bonus of £5[1] per child in late 1912. The bonus was available irrespective of marital status and could also be received by husbands of women who died in childbirth. While Fisher told parliament that the aim was to help mothers in their time of need, the intention was also to increase birth and infant survival rates in the country.[2]

The baby bonus scheme was reintroduced by the Federal Government of Australia in the 2002 budget was aimed at offsetting the expenses associated with bearing a child. The scheme was also introduced as a means of increasing Australia's fertility rate and to mitigate the effects of Australia's ageing population.

I had my children well before 2002 and seem to remember receiving a payment.

My two kids were born in 1974 and 1977, I remember we got a baby bonus, living on one wage then, spent it at Franklins on food, nothing flash.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Except it wasn't a payment to have babies. That was what bothered me about the whole anti campaign. They made it sound like they were paying women to have babies so people were getting pregnant just to have a lump sum payment. My community kept being piled on by the media as if we were some sort of baby factory even though stats showed no significant rise in birth rate😡. It was absolutely disgusting behaviour from the media and politicians and completely fake news. 

It was implemented  to encourage people to have babies and increase the fertility rate in Australia. One for him, one for her and one for Peter (Peter Costello who was Treasurer at the time).

Media put it across as teenagers having babies for the money, but reality was it was women in their late 30s and early 40s, some just encouraged  by having larger families.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I can remember when I had my first baby, 46 years ago, the Australian Govt paid me every week for having a child - child endowment it was called. And as a young newly married couple it was highly appreciated. DH had a full time job - child endowment just was a nice to have.

That was the Australian Govt. in 1975 but it had been around for a long time even then

Child endowment was introduced in 1941 by the Labor government.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My two kids were born in 1974 and 1977, I remember we got a baby bonus, living on one wage then, spent it at Franklins on food, nothing flash.

Agreed. My children were born in 1972, 1974 and 1978 and we definitely got a one-off payment. Whether it was called a baby bonus or not, I don't know.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Our daughter was born in 1977 and I received child endowment. I remember as a kid, Mum would buy our pajamas, slippers and dressing gowns as well as school shoes and uniform with child endowment. 

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. My children were born in 1972, 1974 and 1978 and we definitely got a one-off payment. Whether it was called a baby bonus or not, I don't know.

Child endowment I think it was called.  A pittance from memory.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Child endowment I think it was called.  A pittance from memory.

I believe there are two separate types of payment that we are talking about -

• a one-off baby bonus when the child is born (or adopted) and
  • child endowment (later family benefit) as a small regular payment.
  • Like 1