If you were an American and physically jumped off the Jewel in Hawaii.

tallnthensome

Just sitting here reading the story of “no place to go”. If you held an American passport in hand and jumped off the Jewel in the port in Hawaii .... and lived....what would they do with you? Put you back on the ship? Arrest you? .....which would be fine at that point with me.....As an American what could they force you to do since there is no confirmed cases.  Hmmm.....

I’m sure there would be some sort of crime .....But would they make you get back on the ship? Could they force you to as a US citizen???  .....  What would homeland security charge you with if the ship was docked getting supplies and you theoretically haven’t passed through customs yet passport in hand. This is all just in good fun of course ....... If you were that desperate to get off the ship to nowhere.  

Right now, you can not even have a funeral with more than ten people. You can throw the rules as we know them out the window. The rules now are based on stoping the spread of Corona Virus. The media and general public would not show any sympathy for you. But you would get your 15 minutes of Fame.

Fun topic though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Just sitting here reading the story of “no place to go”. If you held an American passport in hand and jumped off the Jewel in the port in Hawaii .... and lived....what would they do with you? Put you back on the ship? Arrest you? .....which would be fine at that point with me.....As an American what could they force you to do since there is no confirmed cases.  Hmmm.....

Kinda of like climbing over the boarder wall. Or using an emergency exit in an airport to bypass immigration and customs. You would have illegally entered the country.

Hawaii is planning to implement a 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving in the state, even if you legally arrived on an airplane (from the US mainland), . 

BTW: 15 Hawaii residents on the Jewel will be allowed to disembark in Honolulu. Others will be on their way to an unknown fate. 

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Why just Hawaiians and not other US Citizens? 

Because it's safer to get them to their homes in Hawaii, from Hawaii, than putting them on a plane to send them back from the mainland.

Even though you would be a US citizen, with your passport, you have arrived from a foreign country, and have attempted to enter the country without clearing CBP, so you would be arrested for a federal crime as noted above, and CBP will first "detain" you until they can accurately determine your citizenship (checking the validity of the passport), and most certainly "secondary screening".

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Cross Hawaii off my list. 

I’d sail anywhere, anytime. Not living scared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
🙂

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Other thoughts if one does that:
What would you live on?
Where would you live?
When is the money you have going to run out?
When are you going to get caught?

Edited by Arzeena

20 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Other thoughts if one does that:
What would you live on?
Where would you live?
When is the money you have going to run out?
When are you going to get caught?

I don’t care about getting caught. I want to get caught and want to get off that ship. I’ll have money but just want to get on the pier and go home. I don’t want to stay there or anything . Just don’t want to float around the ocean for months .... Again, just for amusement purposes. No chance you’d be cleared at customs with your passports, questioned and released in this unusual circumstance? 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Because it's safer to get them to their homes in Hawaii, from Hawaii, than putting them on a plane to send them back from the mainland.

Unless they live on Oahu, they will still need a plane or a boat to get home. 

They just need to get a bunch of charters to fly people back to their homeland and be done with it.  Direct bus to the airport - they have already been in quarantine!

• Like 1

What reason would you have? There are no cases on the ship. They have food and anything needed to live day to day. If they get home, they’re supposed to hold up in their house. The people on her ship are probably better off than most of us at this point, aside from the quantifiable anxiety of being stuck there. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Why just Hawaiians and not other US Citizens? 

They are allowing 15 Hawaii residents to disembark. Did not specify that they were of Hawaiian decent. Didn't not specify their nationality,,, they could be Chinese citizens domiciled in Hawaii. 

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

Unless they live on Oahu, they will still need a plane or a boat to get home. 

They just need to get a bunch of charters to fly people back to their homeland and be done with it.  Direct bus to the airport - they have already been in quarantine!

And a plane from HNL to Kona is 50 minutes, the longest flight in Hawaii, as opposed to 5.5 hours from the West Coast.

I have a feeling it would be one of those tv only moments they get a shot of you in handcuffs and arraignment then six months later a judge calls you an idiot and let’s you go assuming no priors for jumping ship. What the judge doesn’t understand is you just jumped off a f’n ship and it was totally worth it. Kinda like running on the field to pat hank Arron on the back after he broke the record. They could get in trouble but they patted hank on the back,  totally worth it.

• Like 1