P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

20 hours ago, indiana123 said:

If the wind's in the right direction it could be my neighbour and myself you can hear,  from sunny Minster on Sea!!!! 🤥😄

I've had five roofers banging and crashing from 7.30 a couple of days last week, and she is having a patio laid and a new kitchen.

Her builders love music... luckily so do I

The sparrows have upped and left for Rainham too.

We’ve been on some lovely quiet walks along the prom at Minster since we’ve been allowed to drive for a walk.

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

I must push myself to do it again this week ,as said it does feel strange to be away from the home.

I do understand Mercury  how you and Andy's Michelle were feeling going out, not easy but we all did it.

Take care and hope you all have a pleasant next time out .:classic_smile:

I still feel the same after three trips out of the safety of the house. I think this must be what is  referred to as "the new normal"😷

Avril 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You are extremely local to me! 

To give you an idea, this morning we walked to Dobbies for coffee, which we tend to do a couple of times a month. Other times, we like to walk to Hempstead Valley and have coffee in M&S or Costa. During lockdown we got quite inventive with our walking. We’ve been walking in Bredhurst Woods, and walking across the fields to Hartlip 

It looks as if there’s quite a few Kentish people on the forum. 

I’m only a 15  minute walk from Dobbies ! I went a couple of times to get birthday cards, has always been quiet when I’ve been but I haven’t been since the cafe was open!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh dear.😞 What began at 10.45  this morning as the removal of a microwave from a cupboard that Frank said would be , and I quote " a ten minute job", has now morphed into the complete removal of four cupboards "because it would be easier that way" so he said, I'll believe him, he is a joiner after all. I also have a partially  redecorated kitchen and cupboard contents scattered over every available surface.

It'll look a lot better tomorrow with the new microwave in. I hope😣 Help!!!!!

Avril 

Oh dear Avril, I always dread it when John says it will only be a “ten minute job!” 😁

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Had a shock yesterday, collected a repeat prescription and popped into Costa for a coffee. Medium Cappo and a ginger biccie. Half price the young lady said. . Wow, the taxpayer is subsidising my caffeine hit. Sat outside and watched the world go by🙂

It started for us yesterday. Had a coffee after shopping. Half price. Miller and Carter pm. £20 off. Out again lunch time today. Half price. Good old taxpayers they must have plenty of Dosh . I wonder where that's coming from ?????😂

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh dear Avril, I always dread it when John says it will only be a “ten minute job!” 😁

I've had an email from Currys this morning, the new microwave will be here between 12.15 and 1.15, so hopefully by this evening I will have my kitchen back. I can't believe the amount of jobs he's managed to find just by taking out a microwave!! Still, if he's happy........😊

Avril 

• Like 3

Went to our town centre mall yesterday so Pauline could get a bit of practise in with her new power chair.  We did pop into Card factory and body shop for a few bits and bobs, and experienced the new door-side gel dispensers and one way systems, all very new and different, and with 99% mask adherence as well.  Not very busy but probably enough customers to make it worthwhile for the shops, and the car parking was half price during August as well, not sure if Rishi is subsidising that as well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've had an email from Currys this morning, the new microwave will be here between 12.15 and 1.15, so hopefully by this evening I will have my kitchen back. I can't believe the amount of jobs he's managed to find just by taking out a microwave!! Still, if he's happy........😊

Avril 

Just a thought Avril, did he install the kitchen in the first place, if so how come he didn't sort out these jobs then?😉

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Mercury, glad you got out.

I know that it's a but late now,  but I hope that over the last 141 days you took your car out at least two or three times, and got the oil up to temperature,  put the air conditioning on at full blast  etc. Leaving a car idle for the best part of 6 months can cause all sorts of issues. I fully appreciate that your health is much more important than anything else, but a 15 minute drive once a month is virtually risk free.   

Afraid not wowzz, only on the drive, and then back into the garage, about every two weeks.

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m only a 15  minute walk from Dobbies ! I went a couple of times to get birthday cards, has always been quiet when I’ve been but I haven’t been since the cafe was open!

We’re about a 35 minute walk from Dobbies. It gives us a good walk, and we can reward ourselves with with coffee. It’s still very quiet in there even with the cafe open 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Afraid not wowzz, only on the drive, and then back into the garage, about every two weeks.

Might be worth doing a one hour drive, with some high speed sections if you can. Or alternatively,  at least get your oil changed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We’re about a 35 minute walk from Dobbies. It gives us a good walk, and we can reward ourselves with with coffee. It’s still very quiet in there even with the cafe open 

Good to know, might go for a coffee soon as they have an outdoor  bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Just a thought Avril, did he install the kitchen in the first place, if so how come he didn't sort out these jobs then?😉

Yes he did install it himself John. He was pointing out the things that needed doing, but honestly, I couldn't see anything. I think he's bored and trying to find  things to do. The weather here is still damp and dismal so he can't get into the garden where there are many jobs that definitely need doing. He's also going to put down the new runner in the hall tomorrow, but guess what? The doors will need to be taken off to have some shaved off the bottom or they won't open over the rug. That I understand, but it's my own fault really for buying it. He's just so used to being active.

Avril 

15 hours ago, NoFlyGuy said:

As expected it was a strange weekend here in Silverstone. No crowds, roads and footpath closed. In theory we, as locals, should have been able to still use some of the footpaths that skirt the circuit but didn't push our luck and went on walks in nearby Hazelborough wood and Bucknell wood instead.

Did skirt a part of the circuit today. Quite a few caravans around without cars. Not sure if they were marshals or what. 

Come Friday we go through the whole thing again with the 70th anniversary GP.

No supporting races this time, just the F1 cars. Can't expect to see it being quite as dramatic as yesterday with all the tyre blowouts. Forecast is hot again which won't suit the Mercs so could be a tight race.

We noticed the caravans and tents on the TV coverage. Our guess is that they are for the circuit staff, marshalls etc as you suggested.

Hempstead valley this morning. Inside Costa, Special roast, biscotti is £3.70 reduced to £1.85 but only if you buy the food. I ate the biscotti as a treat as I was 15st 9lb in January and 12st 13lb yesterday 😇

Then I went in Sainsburys and bought some sausages and bacon for a celebratory fry up 😈😕

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Also a mystery, what happened to Burtons?

Don't answer 'gone for a burton' 😁

I’m afraid it has! Quite a shock, just never opened again after Covid - all the signage has gone too 😱

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hempstead Valley is very popular on this forum! 

Used to be up there 2 or 3 times a week before Covid! I used to work in the Sainsbury’s when my son was little and my Mum worked in the M&S before she retired in 2000 or 2001!

• Like 2