P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

No rain down here yet, very mild, but, as we all know, the sun always shines in Southampton... ☀️🌞😊

Andy 

We have also enjoyed more than our usual fair share of sunny days throughout December, and the New Year has started in the same vein. All we need now is some good news about covid.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Beautiful day here in South Norfolk!.Decided to take decorations and lights down today and then had a good clean. After the best intentions last night, we didn't make it past 11pm! I think half a bottle of fizz with dinner have been a factor.....20220101_125513.thumb.jpg.b443a59e31137ea625016c8cf828c65f.jpg

That is it need to move to the south of the county. Had a bit of sun now its grey and mizzly again

Happy New Year to you all. No need to dwell on my poor new Years Eve experience, goodness knows what caused that and feel washed out. But good news no dog felt it necessary to bother with any form of toileting so the balcony is safe. Today is just sit on the sofa and recover after drinking all the mineral water to rehydrate and that was not the sparkling stuff I was planning on!  

Emma

I had a desperate phone call from my sister about an hour ago, have I got any LFTs, her daughter and son-in-law have both tested positive on PCRs this morning, the son-in-law has no symptoms but went for the PCR because my niece has symptoms.  My sister and her husband need to test themselves because they have had close contact over the last week but they can't get any LFTs until she goes back to work as a community mental health nurse next week.  My sister said that she had spent over an hour trying to order some online but the system is down.  It worries me that  people will give up trying to order LFTs and just not test themselves and potentially go out spreading the virus.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I had a desperate phone call from my sister about an hour ago, have I got any LFTs, her daughter and son-in-law have both tested positive on PCRs this morning, the son-in-law has no symptoms but went for the PCR because my niece has symptoms.  My sister and her husband need to test themselves because they have had close contact over the last week but they can't get any LFTs until she goes back to work as a community mental health nurse next week.  My sister said that she had spent over an hour trying to order some online but the system is down.  It worries me that  people will give up trying to order LFTs and just not test themselves and potentially go out spreading the virus.

Oh no Josy, what an awful start to their new year. I hope you've not been in recent contact too.

Avril

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Unfortunately the government made a rod for their own back, by telling people to test themselves before meeting others, going out etc, leading to a shortage for people who really need them, like your sister or health workers.

The concept may have been good, but stimulating demand, without ensuring adequate supplies was ill judged.

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

And apparently no documentary evidence of either…..

We have been going to that particular branch a couple of times a month for years. None of the staff can remember ever seeing him 🤔

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have been going to that particular branch a couple of times a month for years. None of the staff can remember ever seeing him 🤔

And given his pompous manner, I'm pretty sure he would be remembered. 

I had a chance 20 second encounter with him at a trade show once - that was 15 seconds too long !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

And given his pompous manner, I'm pretty sure he would be remembered. 

I had a chance 20 second encounter with him at a trade show once - that was 15 seconds too long !

They did discuss putting up a blue plaque. Perhaps, wisely they didn't.

Happy New Year.

We had a quiet NYE, decided to watch Don’t Look Up on Netflix, as the offerings on channels were not to out liking, probably watching a film about the end of the world was a tad unusual for the last day of 2021, but we enjoyed most of it.

A fireworks at midnight but no where near as many as in previous years, got to bed about 00:30 after a writing few WhatsApp messages to my children. 

A quiet day today, quite warm outside up to 14C with a moderate southerly breeze, was 19C in greenhouse. Pottered around in garden, a bit of weeding, removing of cat poo and trimming pyracantha back now blackbirds have eaten all the berries.

Top hotbin composter up with green waste from kitchen, once again vent on top has got closed, suspect either a cat or a fox sitting on top of bin to keep warm, have now put some cuttings from pyracantha across top, hopefully nature’s “barbed wire” will keep whatever it is off, have put my trail cam on “bin watch “ tonight see if I can catch the culprit in action.

Three family members suffering from Covid, DIL was confined to bed for 3 days from Monday, but up and about today and tested negative, she was double vaccinated and was due booster on Wednesday just gone. Stepson now has it, but says it’s like a heavy cold and that’s all, he is triple jabbed, other stepson went down with on Wednesday day after having booster on Tuesday, he initially thought it was effects of vaccine, but tested positive yesterday, is feeling rough and in bed. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh no Josy, what an awful start to their new year. I hope you've not been in recent contact too.

Avril

No we've not been in contact other than by phone.  When my sister came to pick up the LTFs she stayed outside and I  stayed inside and we just chatted at about 1.5 metres and she had a mask on.  Even when delivering Xmas presents and cards we kept well apart, just chatting with one of us inside the house and the other on the drive.

All of our family are careful to extreme lengths because we have 2 people with cancer to be aware of.  I am probably the one who takes the most risk because I go to the hub every time that it is open.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Happy New Year.

We had a quiet NYE, decided to watch Don’t Look Up on Netflix, as the offerings on channels were not to out liking, probably watching a film about the end of the world was a tad unusual for the last day of 2021, but we enjoyed most of it.

A fireworks at midnight but no where near as many as in previous years, got to bed about 00:30 after a writing few WhatsApp messages to my children. 

A quiet day today, quite warm outside up to 14C with a moderate southerly breeze, was 19C in greenhouse. Pottered around in garden, a bit of weeding, removing of cat poo and trimming pyracantha back now blackbirds have eaten all the berries.

Top hotbin composter up with green waste from kitchen, once again vent on top has got closed, suspect either a cat or a fox sitting on top of bin to keep warm, have now put some cuttings from pyracantha across top, hopefully nature’s “barbed wire” will keep whatever it is off, have put my trail cam on “bin watch “ tonight see if I can catch the culprit in action.

Three family members suffering from Covid, DIL was confined to bed for 3 days from Monday, but up and about today and tested negative, she was double vaccinated and was due booster on Wednesday just gone. Stepson now has it, but says it’s like a heavy cold and that’s all, he is triple jabbed, other stepson went down with on Wednesday day after having booster on Tuesday, he initially thought it was effects of vaccine, but tested positive yesterday, is feeling rough and in bed. 

So sorry to hear that your family have gone down with covid.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps they all suffer from amnesia 🙈🙉🙊

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry to hear this. I hope your sister gets a negative result and your niece and her husband recover quickly.

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

That means we will get it soon. We will cancel the trip down to the coast this afternoon. Pizza express instead.🤣

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

No sweat !

Plus no olives on my pizza :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

Plus no olives on my pizza :classic_unsure:

DW doesn't like olives, but they are a free extra topping. I like olives, so get I double. I bet Graham doesn't have olives with his fish & chips. Just beanz.🤮

• Haha 2

Hi, sorry to be 'late to the party' but wanted to wish you all a very happy, healthy and well deserved awesome New Year 2022 !

Yesterday was a day of mixed emotions for us as ( as a result of a visit to the emergency vet on Thursday) we had to take one of our cats to the vet for tests yesterday morning. Sadly, the results weren't good so we had no choice at all other than to have her put to sleep. Anyone who has a fur baby knows that this tore us apart yesterday, but she has been a walking miracle since a kitten and to get to 12 was a blessing. Never easy though..

We had booked a meal and stay at a local hotel with my brother and his wife who we have only seen twice in 2 years as a result of Covid (in July) so we made the decision to go and see how we coped once we had calmed down. It was actually the right decision though and it was a 'lovely' meet up, the meal was beautiful, well spaced, felt safe and just right under the circumstances. We avoided all the celebrations at midnight as couldn't face it, but the hotel is in Alsager so we saw lots of fireworks. (Pete they may have been the same ones as you .... posher though in Alsager am guessing 😉 )

Not sure if I am allowed to post, but if anyone in the area knows the Manor House Hotel Alsager we can not recommend highly enough.

Just relaxed today as we stripped at the decorations yesterday waiting for the vet to call and results - but it has made us relax today.  Off to close our caravan down tomorrow, but know that 6 weeks will go fast and we will soon be back. 

2022 can only be better and let's hoping that all is well with you and yours this year. Take care everyone and thank you all again for your on-going friendship on CC. Praying that we all get the chance to meet up sooner rather than later 🙂

PS Charlie looks as cute as ever Pete but quieter than we would expect for this little bundle of energy. 🙂

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 11

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

DW doesn't like olives, but they are a free extra topping. I like olives, so get I double. I bet Graham doesn't have olives with his fish & chips. Just beanz.🤮

No Olives for me.

My Ribeye steak was so nice last night we decided to go back tonight.

Graham.

IMG_20220101_180949.jpg

• Like 12

Presto

So sorry for your loss.  I do understand - we have a near 16 yo marmalade stripe who has been living on borrowed time for the last year.  He has a tumour somewhere within his nose/face; he is getting quite deformed but he shows no sign of pain or distress.  We know that, as soon as he does, it will be that awful last trip to the vet and the more than awful leaving the vet with an empty, weightless, cat carrier 😿 

I’m pleased that you were able to enjoy an evening out.  If pets could rationalise, which they can’t, of course, they would not want their passing to leave you totally bereft - they like to please us

Have a much happier HNY

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Presto

So sorry for your loss.  I do understand - we have a near 16 yo marmalade stripe who has been living on borrowed time for the last year.  He has a tumour somewhere within his nose/face; he is getting quite deformed but he shows no sign of pain or distress.  We know that, as soon as he does, it will be that awful last trip to the vet and the more than awful leaving the vet with an empty, weightless, cat carrier 😿 

I’m pleased that you were able to enjoy an evening out.  If pets could rationalise, which they can’t, of course, they would not want their passing to leave you totally bereft - they like to please us

Have a much happier HNY

Thank you 🙂 We've never had to make this choice in the past with many elderly pets but we had no choice. She had had a heart issue since she was kitten and on medication and had had a severe liver issue for almost 4 years. Sadly the liver just packed in completely and she also got a tumour that was causing internal issues. It would have been cruel and selfish not to make the decision --- never want to do it again tough

If we hadn't been meeting family we would have cancelled last night but as it was God knew best and actually getting out was the best thing ironically ... coming home today not so easy ...................

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 6