P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

48 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

-7c here at the moment, I put the heating on earlier than normal today. When it gets this cold I get concerned about freezing water pipes, boiler condensate pipes etc. The forecast shows the temperature rising to 4 today but I can’t see that happening with so much coldness locked in the ground already cooling the air.

The itinerary of our P&O cruise next summer to Iceland and Norway has changed with a complete reversal of the ports of call i.e. Norway then Iceland now, one Iceland port dropped but trondheim added, Faroe Islands dropped (we really wanted to go there, but we have been told they won’t be going there now due to their whaling policy), and Liverpool added , of all places, which is only 40 mins away from where we live and have been there many times before hardly a suitable replacement for the Faroe Islands!!

We are on this one. We've been to Faroe a few times and as it's very small wouldn't have had much to do there. Never been to Liverpool. It doesn't look overly exciting but I might 'ferry across the Mersey!'

I'm now saving up for the excursions as I am at £777 and 5 ports we have never visited aren't on yet. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, happy v said:

We are on this one. We've been to Faroe a few times and as it's very small wouldn't have had much to do there. Never been to Liverpool. It doesn't look overly exciting but I might 'ferry across the Mersey!'

I'm now saving up for the excursions as I am at £777 and 5 ports we have never visited aren't on yet. 

If you liked the Beatles the Albert Dock is half a mile from the cruise terminal and the Beatles story museum is based there.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, happy v said:

The HoHo bus is good. It will get you to both cathedrals, the Cavern Club and China Town. 

• Like 1

-1 C here, blue sky and sunshine, overnight frost has finished off dahlias, so will cut back foliage and put their winter overcoats on, that is a bell cloche filled with straw.

The frost guard worked a treat last night no scraping of windscreen at 7:15 this morning, not only frost but a light dusting of snow as well, will cut back the use of de-icer. The man a few doors down defrosted his with warm water, he now has an added feature in his windscreen, a nice crack top to bottom. 

i applaud P&O’s stance on the Faroe Islands, but I suspect they won’t take the same action against Malta and it’s illegal bird trapping.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

-7c here at the moment, I put the heating on earlier than normal today. When it gets this cold I get concerned about freezing water pipes, boiler condensate pipes etc. The forecast shows the temperature rising to 4 today but I can’t see that happening with so much coldness locked in the ground already cooling the air.

The itinerary of our P&O cruise next summer to Iceland and Norway has changed with a complete reversal of the ports of call i.e. Norway then Iceland now, one Iceland port dropped but trondheim added, Faroe Islands dropped (we really wanted to go there, but we have been told they won’t be going there now due to their whaling policy), and Liverpool added , of all places, which is only 40 mins away from where we live and have been there many times before hardly a suitable replacement for the Faroe Islands!!

There seem to be many more itinerary changes these days. I wonder if it is related to the fact that they now plan and sell cruises 2 years ahead.....🤔

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

-1 C here, blue sky and sunshine, overnight frost has finished off dahlias, so will cut back foliage and put their winter overcoats on, that is a bell cloche filled with straw.

The frost guard worked a treat last night no scraping of windscreen at 7:15 this morning, not only frost but a light dusting of snow as well, will cut back the use of de-icer. The man a few doors down defrosted his with warm water, he now has an added feature in his windscreen, a nice crack top to bottom. 

i applaud P&O’s stance on the Faroe Islands, but I suspect they won’t take the same action against Malta and it’s illegal bird trapping.

You can go on forever.Italy with their travelling circuses with lions ,tigers and elephants stuck in inadequate cages infuriates me.No doubt they cross borders also.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You can go on forever.Italy with their travelling circuses with lions ,tigers and elephants stuck in inadequate cages infuriates me.No doubt they cross borders also.

You certainly can go on forever ,we have a country that likes to fight bulls and that 

country where they dress up the same as a Tetley beer logo man ,riding horses and 

hunt down foxes .

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

You certainly can go on forever ,we have a country that likes to fight bulls and that 

country where they dress up the same as a Tetley beer logo man ,riding horses and 

hunt down foxes .

Being a Southerner. I didn't know we liked to fight bulls. I went to that Warrinton once and sampled tetley's . Their tea is worse than the beer. In the pub in putney years ago a northern football supporters shouted out ' Barnsley bitters best ' . A London chap politely suggested that he pop off back to wherever Barnsley was and drink it there.

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Their tea is worse than the beer.

Tea is well dodgy😲

I discovered this a few years ago when I went out for a Christmas drink with the lads .

We had an enjoyable 12 beers and left the pub around 2 am.

My Mrs was at home drinking tea.
You should have seen how mad and violent she was when I got home. She threw a tea cup at me and kept screaming nasty things at me  .

On the other hand, I was quiet and calmly made my way to bed.  She kept cursing me and shouting through the night and well into the next morning.

So my advice is should you be going out for a festive drink with your mates ,just give her a 

hug and a kiss and tell her to go easy on the tea whilst your away.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

We are in St Maarten today, our last Caribbean port before the Azores, can't believe it is over four weeks since setting sail. We have loved the cruise everything has been great. We did get the announcement last night that masks were recommended so must be an increase in cases.

• Like 14

54 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Didn't get above freezing here until 11.30 and reached the dizzy hights of 2c. Now it's raining, it will be very icy on the roads and pavement later with -3 forecast.

Looks like it's on its way to Stoke where no doubt it will fall as snow.

Thanks for sending the snow this way  it has just arrived.  DH is hoping that there will be enough to call the Stoke match off tomorrow because is is taking my niece's son and his friend to the match instead of her taking them.  He only ever goes to the match if my niece and her husband can't go for some reason but their son hates to miss a match.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

There seem to be many more itinerary changes these days. I wonder if it is related to the fact that they now plan and sell cruises 2 years ahead.....🤔

Hmm 🤔

I don't think that would be such a good idea. I know I wouldn't want to book a cruise for a particular itinerary knowing that they would/could change it closer to sail date. I know it is done, infact it happened to us on an Eastern Med cruise at the  onset of the 'Arab Spring'. Unforseen circumstances after the cruise was booked or during, is understandable, but to book a cruise and then to end up with a mystery cruise.......I think not.

Avril

• Like 2

Hi everyone, it’s freezing here too. I am beginning to think I need to live somewhere warm. The nearest I am going to get is watching A Place in the Sun.

I am sat on the sofa having coffee at the moment feeling nice and warm thinking I really don’t want to move. However it’s our girls night out tonight, a Christmas Party Night at a hotel in St Annes. There are twenty of us going so it should be quite lively. The thought of moving and getting ready is not what I feel like doing right now but I will and I am sure we will have a great night.

Also got four grandchildren staying for the weekend, picking them up tomorrow morning so I am looking forward to that.

Have a lovely weekend everyone and take care

Michelle

• Like 8

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are in St Maarten today, our last Caribbean port before the Azores, can't believe it is over four weeks since setting sail. We have loved the cruise everything has been great. We did get the announcement last night that masks were recommended so must be an increase in cases.

One of my favourite places. Wish I was there, it’s freezing here

Michelle

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

If you liked the Beatles the Albert Dock is half a mile from the cruise terminal and the Beatles story museum is based there.

6 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

The HoHo bus is good. It will get you to both cathedrals, the Cavern Club and China Town. 

Thank you both. I haven't looked at Liverpool yet as the cruise isn't till next summer. I will probably do it after all the other ports.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

I just picked Malta as the practice has been declared illegal, but Maltese Government are not doing anything.

Yes I could pick on Spain or Italy and probably others but as far as I aware although abhorrent practices neither has been declared illegal as far as I am aware. 

As for U.K. fox hunting & hare coursing have been illegal since 2004 and I hope it remains so. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Thanks for sending the snow this way  it has just arrived.  DH is hoping that there will be enough to call the Stoke match off tomorrow because is is taking my niece's son and his friend to the match instead of her taking them.  He only ever goes to the match if my niece and her husband can't go for some reason but their son hates to miss a match.

No disrespect but I hope the Stoke match goes ahead, I am pretty sure it will, because I am looking forward to watching it. 

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Just looked out the window and it appears to be snowing here in Shropshire as well, not a lot, not sticking on road as council gritted them at 4pm. 

I'm a bit of a data fact nurd and have recently found the National Grid live information on the link below. It has all sorts of live data on type of power generation type, demand against generated and how much exported or imported. The UK is currently importing 13% of demand mostly from Norway and France with us having the worst combination of cold temperatures and light winds so our wind farms are generating a lot less than they could.

National Grid: Live (iamkate.com)

• Like 2