P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

30 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Our postman told our neighbour the other day (Friday or Saturday) that he was only delivering parcels, as letters hadn't even been received at his depot.

We posted our cards right at the start of December, and received cards from other early posters, but I think the system is completely backed up now.  I'll be surprised  if any more cards are received this side of Christmas.

To be honest, I don't really miss having the cards. I think I'll cut down on the cards I send next year, stop sending to the people who I don't see anymore. 

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I would miss receiving Christmas cards but do fear the end of this tradition is not that far away.

Whilst there is some merit in not giving cards to people like current neighbours, to hear from friends, ex-colleagues, ex-neighbours and past cruising companions for me is a delight….. and I don’t begrudge them my time in writing the cards or money spent on stamps!

But I know I’m probably in the minority…

• Like 10

I agree thoroughly with your last sentence, Harry, and get the impression that Charles knows he needs to do this.  I admit to liking the continuity of having a Head of State by inheritance; mainly because of imagining the situation in the USA and some other countries who elect theirs, sometimes disastrously.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I would miss receiving Christmas cards but do fear the end of this tradition is not that far away.

Whilst there is some merit in not giving cards to people like current neighbours, to hear from friends, ex-colleagues, ex-neighbours and past cruising companions for me is a delight….. and I don’t begrudge them my time in writing the cards or money spent on stamps!

But I know I’m probably in the minority…

We’re equally old fashioned, but it’s notable that young people tend not to bother much with cards these days - perhaps unsurprising as there are so many other ways to keep in touch that just didn’t exist 30 years ago.

We’ve had a fair few cards through Royal Mail so far, and it is nice to hear from old neighbours and other friends across the country. Round the village, most people deliver their own cards, as we do - was a bit surprised to see an old work colleague and his wife delivering one from the next village three miles down the road though!

• Like 3

I have just been a bit sneaky. I was going to post my local cards on Friday but PO announced it was the last day. As our post is collected early morning I had missed it

Having read all the thread and all cards being delayed. I have just posted them and hopefully everyone will think the delay wasn't down to me

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

That certainly is not a lot.

One of the issues in all these disputes is that pay increases are always discussed in term of percentages. Give a post person a 5% rise, and they will be £1250 a year better off, gross, but only £1000 a year better off after tax.

But someone earning £50k a year will be significantly better off with a 5% increase.

Posties and other low paid occupations woukd be better asking for a lump sum increase,  not a percentage. 

But no one in the public sector gets a 5% rise if they are on a higher salary. In recent years the lower salary bands have got a percentage and the higher a £ rise capped at a maximum.

Wish that had been the case when I was younger when we all got the same % regardless of salary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

With you entirely, Avril, though I might perhaps take it one stage further.

I’m not remotely interested in any of the ’Royal Family’. It’s unelected, outdated, extraordinarily expensive, and far too big, with far too many hangers on.

It has precious little constitutional significance, and the only reason most people give for keeping it is that it’s traditional and that it brings in tourists!

Happy to go with the slimmed down Dutch or Swedish versions though, if necessary.

I'm an unapologetic monarchist Harry.

The reason I refuse to listen to this diatribe that seems to be the 'main news' is because no family royal or otherwise, should spout such venom, and hatred about them to the world. I'm not stating an opinion on the truth of it or not, only that it was a diabolical thing to do. I won't say any more on the subject except that everyone has the right to privacy, not a select one or two.

Avril

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

I really don't think it is racism; people seemed happy to accept her, and paid a fortune for their wedding, which was lovely, and then it all started to go pear shaped mainly due to bits in the paper obviously handed to them by palace employees, alleging bullying and high handedness.  Somehow, this did manage to ring true, certainly to me.  She did seem like a typical 'American Princess', those young women in the States who think they can do and have exactly what they like - known as 'entitlement'.  That appalling baby shower in New York, for instance.  Just 'not British', especially to older people.  And exactly the opposite of what the Royal family try to  impress on us (though we all know that they live charmed lives when not actually working).  So I am afraid I too dislike her, though would not dream of writing what Clarkson has; you are entitled to think things like that, but should never utter them in public.

Baby showers have been happening in Britain for some years now, my own daughter had one 17 years ago when she was expecting her first child. As for not being British, well Victorian Women had  baby showers after the child was born, a bit more reserved then, being tea parties, gifts for the mother and baby were given. 

https://victorian-era.org/victorian-era-baby-shower.html?amp=1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Maybe, but they’ve got absolutely no chance of a fair hearing in the UK because almost the entire media is actively campaigning against them. There might be the odd exception, but it’s close to 100%.

Then you get this from that unpleasant idiot Jeremy Clarkson:

"At night, I'm unable to sleep as I lie there, grinding my teeth and dreaming of the day when she [Meghan] is made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowds chant 'Shame!' and throw lumps of excrement at her.”

I’ve no particularly view either way, but I do believe in fairness, and all this stuff in the media smacks more of racism than fairness.

Let’s not forget only a few weeks ago one of the Queen’s Lady in Waiting was asked to leave her position in the Palace following a racist question to a guest at a charity event. Was this individual also responsible for the alleged remarks made to Meghan that Harry referred to previously?  He said it was a member of the Royal Family, and the Lady in Waiting in question was a cousin to the late Queen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Nothing wrong with baby showers per se; it was this particular one, with a private jet flight to New York (before Archie) and the amount spent on the whole thing - I have to admit I read about in the dreaded papers, but I imagine  some will remember how most of us thought about it. (Look it up on the web if at all interested; it is pretty old news now of course).

The woman who was racially abused by Lady Susan Hussey was born with an English name, and changed it to an African one, and appeared at this reception in full West African gear.  Not saying the questioning was anything other than crass, but it does seem as if this person  is inclined to play the race card - her 'charity' is exclusive to black women;  some would call that racist.  

We will all have our own opinions about this particular debacle, and there is of course genuine truth on both sides; it is just very sad that it has come to this.  Thank goodness the Queen went before this escalation of nastiness started.    We will see over the years if there can be any sort of reconciliation.

The 2 ladies have now reconciled,there's a photo in the papers of them chatting and smiling.The problem is the seed has been sown and the row will continue.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Nothing wrong with baby showers per se; it was this particular one, with a private jet flight to New York (before Archie) and the amount spent on the whole thing - I have to admit I read about in the dreaded papers, but I imagine  some will remember how most of us thought about it. (Look it up on the web if at all interested; it is pretty old news now of course).

The woman who was racially abused by Lady Susan Hussey was born with an English name, and changed it to an African one, and appeared at this reception in full West African gear.  Not saying the questioning was anything other than crass, but it does seem as if this person  is inclined to play the race card - her 'charity' is exclusive to black women;  some would call that racist.  

We will all have our own opinions about this particular debacle, and there is of course genuine truth on both sides; it is just very sad that it has come to this.  Thank goodness the Queen went before this escalation of nastiness started.    We will see over the years if there can be any sort of reconciliation.

What’s the changing of name got to do with it, Hussey’s questioning was directed at her based on the colour of her skin, not her name. 

Edited by Snow Hill

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today. It looks cloudy and no wind here today. Hubby says it’s fairly mind out too.

Well an eventful day here yesterday. Looking after grandson who started to feel unwell, had earache, sickness, wouldn’t drink. A trip to our local NHS walk in centre followed. A four hour wait to be seen, got a severe ear infection, antibiotics given. After 7pm by now, tried five chemists to get antibiotics and none had them. He then became more unwell so into A & E, checked out there, no antibiotics available at pharmacy in Hosp either. Sent home early hours of this morning, hoping parents can get some today. I didn’t realise how bad the antibiotic situation was. 
Rest day today for me

Michelle

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Are we Billy NoMates now or is it general that people aren't sending many Christmas Cards by post this year.   

At not far off a quid a time for 2nd class, have Royal Mail shot themselves in the foot, when taking cost and strikes into consideration.  We arrived home 8 days ago, and have had nothing since, including my bank statement which always arrives on 15th and a brochure from a medical facility that we ordered over three weeks ago.

I’ve  only received 2 in the post so far! Had several given to me or posted through the door but only two in the post 🤔 Mind you my card to my sister took nearly two weeks to get there!