P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 hours ago, Caullkhead said:

Everywhere’s up, the Scillies are west 🤣 Oddly being from IOW everywhere was over or up. 

You're right,it's a wonder I get the 1500 miles to Italy every year.Thank god for sat navs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning All and Happy Friday.

Now I may have got this completely wrong (not for the first or last time) but I think today is Yorkshire Phil's birthday. I seem to remember that it is the same day as my late mum's birthday - 10th Feb. So if I'm right, Happy Birthday Phil. Have a great day. If I'm wrong and I've made a complete ar** of myself again, I'll live with it.

Dentist again for me again today. Having just got over the dry socket from a recent extraction, the tooth next to the missing one has broken - down to the gum line. More pain, more expense, more realisation that everything's going South!

Have a good day everyone and keep well.

Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 10

That is rotten luck with the teeth, Jane.  I have been lucky so far with gnashers; one of the few bits of me which is not falling apart.  Life is unfair; I brush my teeth of course, but otherwise ignore them, and have not seen a Dentist for years.  My son, on the other hand, who brushes, flosses, gets inspected and sees the hygenist regularly, is always having problems with his.  But the rest of him is holding up,  whereas most of me is only fit for the knacker's yard.  Hope yours  gets sorted without much pain or discomfort.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All and Happy Friday.

Now I may have got this completely wrong (not for the first or last time) but I think today is Yorkshire Phil's birthday. I seem to remember that it is the same day as my late mum's birthday - 10th Feb. So if I'm right, Happy Birthday Phil. Have a great day. If I'm wrong and I've made a complete ar** of myself again, I'll live with it.

Dentist again for me again today. Having just got over the dry socket from a recent extraction, the tooth next to the missing one has broken - down to the gum line. More pain, more expense, more realisation that everything's going South!

Have a good day everyone and keep well.

Best wishes. Jane xx

Spot on Jane. I am officially an old duffer today, I got my bus pass last month so that was a start. Happy birthday to your mum in heaven. Good luck with the dentist, I don't envy you.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is rotten luck with the teeth, Jane.  I have been lucky so far with gnashers; one of the few bits of me which is not falling apart.  Life is unfair; I brush my teeth of course, but otherwise ignore them, and have not seen a Dentist for years.  My son, on the other hand, who brushes, flosses, gets inspected and sees the hygenist regularly, is always having problems with his.  But the rest of him is holding up,  whereas most of me is only fit for the knacker's yard.  Hope yours  gets sorted without much pain or discomfort.  

You and me both Lincslady - the knacker's yard awaits. I agree it does seem unfair that your son does so much to protect his teeth yet has no end of trouble. You keep doing what you're doing  (or not) and hopefully the gnashers will stay in good nick.

Can you remember, when we were younger, how we'd think nah that won't happen to me? Well here we are; much older, maybe much wiser, and wondering how those glory years turned into the beginnings of a shipwreck. Ah well, nothing we can do about it apart from accept the changes. The problem is I wanted to grow old disgracefully and instead I've turned into that miserable old git in the doctor's waiting room, moaning about all her ailments! Thanks for your good wishes. Jane.xxx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Spot on Jane. I am officially an old duffer today, I got my bus pass last month so that was a start. Happy birthday to your mum in heaven. Good luck with the dentist, I don't envy you.

Now I can officially wish you a Happy Birthday Phil. My mum too. Getting the bus pass is a bit sobering isn't it - but it's free, and us old duffers must make the most of what we've paid into the last 50 years. Thanks for your good wishes re the dentist and you have a great day. Jane.xx

• Thanks 1

Good morning to you all.

Sorry to hear you are having more trouble with your teeth Jane. Hopefully you won't be in too much pain this time round.

Sun is trying to get out again down here, but still on the chilly side.

Taking a walk down into town in a while to collect the tickets for our upcoming holiday, so that will give me some exercise. 

Pam 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zap99 said:

We were on the Isle of Wight, chatting to some ageing hippies. They referred to England as.   North Island.

I read yesterday that in some court papers relating to an upcoming case involving Harry and Meghan in USA, Harry is referred to as Prince Harry of England. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Happy Birthday Phil.

I hope your bus pass is more useful than mine, I have a pass but no buses where we are 😄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Have a very happy birthday Phil. 

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty mizzely here, took the dog for a bit of a walk. Really struggling still with breathing since having you know what, huffed & puffed up the hill. Went for asthma review on Wed managed to get a face to face, but when I got there the lovely nurse announced she wasn’t the asthma nurse, she wasn’t in. I’d already had my appointment changed from Friday as apparently the said nurse didn’t work Fridays anymore. Hey Ho, we went through the same online form I’d already filled out, & I told her I’d not been well & was struggling still. Well she said  her colleague would have to look at the results & let me know about changing meds or whatever. She did my weight( fine) , took me to another room to do height! Remembered bp, no pressure on the valve 🤔 well she used the battery one instead by then my reading was sky high. She put the valve on properly on the original one & tried the other arm, down a bit but too high, so now I’ve got to test twice a day at home for home for a week, borrowed a machine from a neighbour, it’s on its way back down😬. Hey Ho I’ll struggle on. 
Sorry for the ramble! Have a good weekend everyone. X Clare 

• Like 7

Morning everyone(just), it was drizzling here earlier but seems to have stopped now and there are brighter skies now.

Jane, sorry to hear about your ongoing trouble with your teeth. I hate the dentist but go for check ups regularly keeping my fingers crossed each time that no treatment is needed.

Happy Birthday Phil, hope you have a lovely day.

I am just about to take the dogs out for a walk before lunch. Hubby should be home 2ish after a meeting in Birmingham this morning so it’s a possibility we might go to the pub at teatime for a couple drinks and something to eat.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Our South America tour is progressing well so far with Rio, aguassa falls, Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Patagonia ticked off so far. Day at sea today and arriving in the falklands tomorrow. The weather forecast is looking breezy but not too windy but captain is already setting the seed that it is not always possible to tender ashore, fingers crossed we are able to. We received an email today saying that Machu Picchu may be opening up from next week and we are due there in 11 days time, but we’ll see.

We have been impressed with our cruise on Sapphire Princess so far. Good staffing levels, very helpful and friendly staff, food good, the odd clitch with being charged for drinks when we are on the package but quickly sorted at guest services. Very few are wearing masks and this is my first cruise since covid that I feel that things are back to normal 🤞

• Like 15

We’ve done it - paid the final balance on our 7 night cruise on Ventura in May! It’ll be our first cruise since October 2019 and we’ve never been on such a large ship either. I’m a bit apprehensive, but we liked the itinerary and think a short cruise is a good idea before our 19 nights on Aurora in October. 
Just need to dig out the clothes that I used to wear and see if they still fit and try to  remember what to pack for cruises! 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Used to be known also as Pobbies when I was a girl - bread and sugar soaked in milk, for invalids.  Is it a north west of England term?   I came originally from the Chester side of Cheshire.  I think you had it warm.

That’s interesting. The OED lists it as:

“English regional (chiefly northern and midlands).”

I’ve only known the word from my Yorkshire father, a long time ago, but we were in the south at the time and it was unheard of. I suspect it still is - time for a bit of levelling up in Tunbridge Wells I think………