P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I know some of you, like me, love the funny words used round the country for different things - like snap or baggin for the snack/lunch you take to work.  I have only heard snap in the Midlands, and baggin was what I knew in the Northwest.  I also like the words for a narrow passageway, like ginnel.  I bet most of you know the old saying for someone bow-legged -  'couldn't stop a pig in an entry'. And a clothes airer (or maiden) was a wintredge (winter hedge).  I think that was Yorkshire.

Maybe too much there to ponder on!

Absolutely! Fascinating subject. Snap may well be across Yorkshire and a lot of the north (define ‘north’ - that’s a game on its own). Cheese cobs in the midlands, rolls in the south. Baps in the north? 

Hull has its tenferts - the ten foot access strip at the back of a lot of houses. Ginnels is rarely used in the south, I think, where it’s usually just alleys or alleyways. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I might get on the naughty step (or is it just Agents we mustn't mention).. it was Parkdean😄

A result for you,3 nights PD Weymouth 450 quid for us.It is May Bank holiday though but still a massive jump.

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Snap is the common word for  a packed lunch here in Barnsley. I've also heard it called a pack-up but not often. A couple more are wagging it - playing. truant from school  and bray - to hit something or someone. 

Avril

Tha tuk thee snap ta werk in my youth. I spent a few years looking into the local terminology and how a lot of it came from old Germanic and Viking languages. I still have a delve now and again as it is quite fascinating. Now there is a word I remember from school, my teacher asked me to deliver a sentence with fascinate in it "I ad a coit an it had nine buttons but I cud only fassen eit"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

When I was a child we used to to be told to play in "The Backs" when we were at our grandparents' house, a sandwich was "a piece" and the clothes air that was suspended from the kitchen ceiling was a "rack" but the floor standing one was the "clothes maid".

• Like 1

When I moved up north I got confused by some of the expressions. When giving me directions they said there is a bank up to the left, I thought NatWest, Barclays etc but they meant a hill or escarpment. At 10 am when they asked if I wanted a brew I thought excellent they drink beer up here at that time of day at work😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

When I moved up north I got confused by some of the expressions. When giving me directions they said there is a bank up to the left, I thought NatWest, Barclays etc but they meant a hill or escarpment. At 10 am when they asked if I wanted a brew I thought excellent they drink beer up here at that time of day at work😂

Two things that confused me when we came to Barnsley. Mash the tea and mend the fire. Potatoes are mashed and the fire wasn't broken.🤔

Avril

• Like 1

Times up !  Royal Naval slang spoken by ratings below deck.

Examples.  Jipper - gravy. Babys Heads - small steak and kidney puds. Wet - in the days of the tot, it was given to someone who did you a favour, just a sip, not gulpers ! Burma Road - the main passage running below deck. 

• Like 1

Afternoon all, being a Southerner I only learnt ‘gunnel’ from Corrie! I had a friend in the bank who came from Liverpool and she used to say ‘back passage’ - we’d say ‘alley’. There was a path by our bank that led to a grassy area we used to sit in at lunchtimes. She came back one day and said ‘ooh it’s a bit windy down the back passage’ and couldn’t understand why we all fell about laughing 😂 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Two things that confused me when we came to Barnsley. Mash the tea and mend the fire. Potatoes are mashed and the fire wasn't broken.🤔

Avril

Yes that's a good one - round here if we wanted someone to make us a cuppa we would ask 'are you mashing?'

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

‘Duck’ is a wonderful East Midlands greeting - and truly unisex, even if does upset the odd southerner!

Duck up here is hen but purely for women. As in ye ken hen?

Also quines and loones if we want one for each gender.

• Like 2

When I was youth hostelling with a couple of friends on the North York Moors we went into a pub and the locals were talking to us and I just replied "Oh Aye", my friends just looked at me and said "What did they say?"  As my grandparents were originally from Northumberland it was second nature to me. 

• Like 2