P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

No but we are going to a very large one on a ship. Promised lots of bunting, flags and “specialities” like fish and chips and trifle.

We have our union t-shirts and red, white and blue accessories for the occasion.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

After three months of continual back and forth I have reluctantly had to cancel our December,18 night cruise. It was hard, but Frank's back and walking problems have been slowly getting worse and is now waiting for a hospital appointment, which will probably be later than sooner. We already know what the problem is, but it's to see if anything more can be done to help. I was on hold for 40 mins this morning, but surprisingly I got a refund on some of the deposit. Something to do with an overpayment of deposit🤔 Confused, but I won't argue.

I hope everyone is well. x

Avril

So sorry Avril but as others have said it’s good you’ve made the decision. Hope Frank is ok and gets treatment soon x

• Like 4

Well it looks like I’ll probably be completely cancelling our cruise as we can’t find anything suitable for the right price. I don’t want anything longer than a week and as I’d booked 13 nights in a balcony I can’t find any 7 night ones more expensive than mine , some weren’t far off but I begrudge paying more for 7 nights than the 13.

So so disappointing, this was John’s 60th birthday cruise originally, he’ll be 63 this year. Blooming virus! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well it looks like I’ll probably be completely cancelling our cruise as we can’t find anything suitable for the right price. I don’t want anything longer than a week and as I’d booked 13 nights in a balcony I can’t find any 7 night ones more expensive than mine , some weren’t far off but I begrudge paying more for 7 nights than the 13.

So so disappointing, this was John’s 60th birthday cruise originally, he’ll be 63 this year. Blooming virus! 

That’s unfortunate. I thought you may be able to book a suite and give yourselves a pampered short break. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Aberdeen South harbour (cost 400 million) can now take larger ships.. They put on a full pipe band and dancers for Aida coming in today.

The guests are in the city or going on tours to Balmoral, whisky tastings, Glams castle etc.

The are 25 bookings for the port already this year.

Nice to see ports opening up to ships rather than restricting them.

No photo description available.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

AidaAura is the baby of the fleet, only just over 42000 tonnes and about 1250 passengers. I wonder what is the biggest ship size Aberdeen can accomodate?

“The expansion will provide 1,400 metres of quay at water depths of up to 10.5 metres (LAT), with a turning circle of 300 metres and a channel width of 165 metres.”

John the above is what they are “advertising” for the port. Means nothing to me but you may understand the implications for ship sizes.

The press blurb says they can take the “majority of the worlds cruise fleets” and 

“Teams from the port and major cruise lines, such as Carnival Group, will take part in reciprocal training and familiarisation visits this year.”

Looking  at the current ships calling in 2023 they are all relatively smaller vessels eg Azamara and smaller Aida ships. This may be bookings moved from the North port to the new deeper south port.

2024 may be different.

It’s a port I would like to sail into and could offer a break on trips to Norway etc.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

“The expansion will provide 1,400 metres of quay at water depths of up to 10.5 metres (LAT), with a turning circle of 300 metres and a channel width of 165 metres.”

John the above is what they are “advertising” for the port. Means nothing to me but you may understand the implications for ship sizes.

The press blurb says they can take the “majority of the worlds cruise fleets” and 

“Teams from the port and major cruise lines, such as Carnival Group, will take part in reciprocal training and familiarisation visits this year.”

Looking  at the current ships calling in 2023 they are all relatively smaller vessels eg Azamara and smaller Aida ships. This may be bookings moved from the North port to the new deeper south port.

2024 may be different.

It’s a port I would like to sail into and could offer a break on trips to Norway etc.

1400 metre of quay is quite substantial, Iona is 345m in length, but she has a draft of 11.8m  so the Excel class ships will not be able to berth there, but Ventura and Britannia could, as well as any of the Princess Royal class.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

After three months of continual back and forth I have reluctantly had to cancel our December,18 night cruise. It was hard, but Frank's back and walking problems have been slowly getting worse and is now waiting for a hospital appointment, which will probably be later than sooner. We already know what the problem is, but it's to see if anything more can be done to help. I was on hold for 40 mins this morning, but surprisingly I got a refund on some of the deposit. Something to do with an overpayment of deposit🤔 Confused, but I won't argue.

I hope everyone is well. x

Avril

So sorry Avril that you have had to cancel this cruise and I hope things can get better for Frank and you both can get away for maybe some short breaks to get some change of scenery and sunshine, glad you got some of your deposit back .x

• Like 4

Random question here that is not cruise related but hope that you knowledgeable people can help. We had a new smart meter fitted from British Gas in March and today we had a message on the monitor saying "withdrawal". Does anyone know what this means? I have tried asking the question on the website with no luck. Does it mean they have taken the read and a bill is on its way maybe?

We are just back from my friend's funeral.  It was a lovely service in a beautiful little church which we have driven past numerous times but not been inside.  She had requested that everyone wore something yellow because she wanted a "sunny" funeral.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We are just back from my friend's funeral.  It was a lovely service in a beautiful little church which we have driven past numerous times but not been inside.  She had requested that everyone wore something yellow because she wanted a "sunny" funeral.

Sad to lose a friend but at least a bit of a comfort when they get a good send off.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Random question here that is not cruise related but hope that you knowledgeable people can help. We had a new smart meter fitted from British Gas in March and today we had a message on the monitor saying "withdrawal". Does anyone know what this means? I have tried asking the question on the website with no luck. Does it mean they have taken the read and a bill is on its way maybe?

We had a BG smart meter and I never saw that message, even when we moved away from BG, however it is several years ago and one of the first generation meters. I had an online account and with a bit of patience and persistence finding my way around all the information from the meter was on the account page with details of when a bill would be sent and years of historical records prior to the meter being fitted. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Just a heads up that Princess have a special 3 day offer for 2024 cruises, with a deposit of only £1pp, and Princess plus at half price, and they do have accessible cabins available as well. It runs until 6th May.

Great deals. Booked for Sep 24   Sky Princess  14 nights to the Med. Great price for a deluxe balcony.

• Like 2

Just stumbled across a TV advert for Ambassador Cruises. 

Words fail me  !

They are obviously looking to attract the Billy Cotton age group, who like lots of lady dancers kicking their legs up in unison.

Just awful.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Words fail me  !

They are obviously looking to attract the Billy Cotton age group, who like lots of lady dancers kicking their legs up in unison.

Just awful.

Agreed, the advert alone would put me off!😁

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Just a heads up that Princess have a special 3 day offer for 2024 cruises, with a deposit of only £1pp, and Princess plus at half price, and they do have accessible cabins available as well. It runs until 6th May.

Yes I took advantage of that today and booked a Scandinavia, Baltic, June 24 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

Pauline came out in the car with me today while I called on a few of my long time customers.

Afterwards we had a nice lunch.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Let's hope we hear from @kalos soon.

IMG_20230503_130857.jpg

That looks lovely graham, I’m on a diet now for my next cruise in a few weeks time , trying to burn of all that alcohol I had last week 😂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Words fail me  !

Just awful.

Just awful is being polite.

I really don’t know who that ad is aimed at with dancers in dodgy costumes and the plates of food they fly past looked absolutely dreadful.

We had considered them briefly as they sail out of Dundee but after looking at the web content have not booked. The advert has really put me off, if they think that is the best they have to offer then it’s not for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Words fail me  !

Just awful.

Those that can,can.

• Haha 14