P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Busy on here this morning! I’m trying to read in between my work calls!

Big development here, my sister and bro in law (who is a nurse) came up on Tuesday and took my mum to lunch while we did some shopping.

Unknown to us before they picked her up they visited a couple of nursing homes and said one was horrible and one was lovely and had a free room.

We went to see it the next day with Mum and it was lovely. So… she’s moving in on the 29th!! She’s been here since 11th October so it will be strange without her! I felt so bad though for ‘abandoning’ her and both me and my sister had a cry! Even though she is hard work !

I really hope she likes it, she has a light airy room with a view over grass and a tv in the room and an en-suite. They have activities every day and a doctor and hairdresser who visit once a week!

Just have to hope she likes it….

That is great news for all concerned…..but, it will be hard as feelings of guilt, although unfounded, are completely natural. The activities and company at the home may well give your Mum a real boost once she has settled in.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Great news, Sue.  She will almost certainly enjoy having people to talk to - whenever she feels like company - and all her meals prepared etc.  And even if she does not feel she needs it, somewhere safe where she will have carers on tap day and night if needed.  Which will of course make life so much easier for you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Big development here, my sister and bro in law (who is a nurse) came up on Tuesday and took my mum to lunch while we did some shopping.

Unknown to us before they picked her up they visited a couple of nursing homes and said one was horrible and one was lovely and had a free room.

We went to see it the next day with Mum and it was lovely. So… she’s moving in on the 29th!! She’s been here since 11th October so it will be strange without her! I felt so bad though for ‘abandoning’ her and both me and my sister had a cry! Even though she is hard work !

I really hope she likes it, she has a light airy room with a view over grass and a tv in the room and an en-suite. They have activities every day and a doctor and hairdresser who visit once a week!

Sue, I am so pleased for you all

Good residential homes are so good for all concerned - I’m sure Mum will soon find new friends and possibly new interests

I hope she will blossom, and that you and John will be able to relax … maybe a nice Canaries cruise to put some colour in your cheeks?

PS Attendance allowance is still available whilst she is in the home

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

You are not abandoning her Sue, you are giving her a better quality of life, we were always happy with the care home that my MiL was in, everything was not always perfect but she was so well looked after and was never lonely, we didn't have to worry about whether she had missed her medication or taken two lots. We knew if she had a fall or a TIA there was always someone there straight away. She will just need time to settle in and get her head around the new situation. Mrs YP was devastated when she came back from leaving her mum the first time as I am sure you and your sister will  be even knowing she was in a much better place.  Good luck with best wishes.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Always wondered about signing up to that to end the Christmas card saga, but never had the courage to stop the cards. Their stuff is excellent, but somehow won’t replace a card with a message. Those Christmas letters are a joy - we get one each year from relations in a smart bit of London, telling everyone what exciting, expensive and wonderful lives they all lead! If they only knew the entertainment we all get………😇

Well Harry, you can’t stand an e-card up on the mantelpiece but you can certainly chat.  I’ve spent the last hour doing mine, which included a long message to my niece in Australia.  I think the character limit in a normal card is 1500 but they also do specific letter-cards where you can ramble further

With the cost of stamps now, the JL subscription seems a no brainier.  I think it’s £12 a year, slightly cheaper if you sign for 2 years.  You’ll need to check - it must be a *second year* for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I'm relieved you've got your Mum's situation sorted Sue. It sounds a nice place and she can make it feel 'homey' by adding some of her own personal things too.

You haven't 'abandoned' her Sue, far from it, so don't think like that. You've been a very loving and caring daughter and I'm sure your Mum knows that.

Have a very enjoyable family Christmas together🎄

Avri/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Always wondered about signing up to that to end the Christmas card saga, but never had the courage to stop the cards. Their stuff is excellent, but somehow won’t replace a card with a message. Those Christmas letters are a joy - we get one each year from relations in a smart bit of London, telling everyone what exciting, expensive and wonderful lives they all lead! If they only knew the entertainment we all get………😇

I agree with you Harry. Sending a message or text is useful on most occasions, but a personally chosen and written card, or even a letter, shows they are important to you.

Avril

• Like 7

My OH and I do not send cards, however the cat does!  The first Christmas after he arrived we made some personalised cards made to let our family and friends know he'd arrived, not realising it would start a trend.  Year two we were going away at Christmas so thought we'd go electronic. Sudden outraged protests on my husband's social media as apparently no one cared about us but what about the DFC - the cat's full name is RAF based and DFC is "Distinguished Feline Companion"!  Last minute Vistaprint order, lesson learnt and gulp 80 cards every year.  Here's this year's offering, sorry about the glare.

20231215_124735.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Hi all,took a trip to the high Atlas mountains yesterday,culminating with a visit to a waterfall.Only downpoint was driving thru the earthquake zone where over 1000 lost their lives.Most are living in tents outside their dangerously damaged homes with no help from the government yet and rain and snow on its way.20231214_1400341842.thumb.jpg.69dd16668ae1b195a4327836b29a9ffb.jpg20231214_1113081839.thumb.jpg.353c42d3d3c6d73d65ab494da239b68e.jpg20231214_1320521838.thumb.jpg.5631f8de5db5a9cb65deab91bec84acd.jpg20231214_1111071835.thumb.jpg.60cce19f08c706e5833c7dc2fa00e938.jpg20231214_0941191836.thumb.jpg.faa9e8670c19d683781208ae696b9ddf.jpg

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,took a trip to the high Atlas mountains yesterday,culminating with a visit to a waterfall.Only downpoint was driving thru the earthquake zone where over 1000 lost their lives.Most are living in tents outside their dangerously damaged homes with no help from the government yet and rain and snow on its way.20231214_1400341842.thumb.jpg.69dd16668ae1b195a4327836b29a9ffb.jpg20231214_1113081839.thumb.jpg.353c42d3d3c6d73d65ab494da239b68e.jpg20231214_1320521838.thumb.jpg.5631f8de5db5a9cb65deab91bec84acd.jpg20231214_1111071835.thumb.jpg.60cce19f08c706e5833c7dc2fa00e938.jpg20231214_0941191836.thumb.jpg.faa9e8670c19d683781208ae696b9ddf.jpg

If you see three clever looking blokes on camels in the desert, don't follow them.

• Haha 16

5 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Sue, I am so pleased for you all

Good residential homes are so good for all concerned - I’m sure Mum will soon find new friends and possibly new interests

I hope she will blossom, and that you and John will be able to relax … maybe a nice Canaries cruise to put some colour in your cheeks?

PS Attendance allowance is still available whilst she is in the home

😁 to the Canaries cruise! Not for a while, it’s in the back of my mind though! 

We have a four night Aurora cruise to look forward to at Easter though…

• Like 6

Is anyone else experiencing an incredible sunset today? Just been driving back from collecting the OH's new dinner suit in Southampton and witnessed incredible red skies most of the way home.  Best bit was seeing the Queen Mary 2 bathed in some sort of ethereal glow and actually appearing to radiate, presumably because of her new paint job.  Unfortunately because of being alone and driving I couldn't take any pictures but the sky colours were astonishing.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Is anyone else experiencing an incredible sunset today? Just been driving back from collecting the OH's new dinner suit in Southampton and witnessed incredible red skies most of the way home.  Best bit was seeing the Queen Mary 2 bathed in some sort of ethereal glow and actually appearing to radiate, presumably because of her new paint job.  Unfortunately because of being alone and driving I couldn't take any pictures but the sky colours were astonishing.

We are 200 miles north of Southampton but we also had lovely skies tonight they were not red but they were blue with pink and orange stripes 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We are 200 miles north of Southampton but we also had lovely skies tonight they were not red but they were blue with pink and orange stripes 

That sounds lovely. I wonder if it's to do with the Geminid meteor showers last night.  This from our local BBC website showing my neighbour yesterday.

_132057709_7824d674c7c9377de385b98a6677a615d9b0fb680_147_2000_11251000x563.jpg.webp

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It was stunning here in Yorkshire too. It began a deep pink and slowly turned to a vivid orange and then a deeper orange as the sky got darker.  Nature at her finest.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Oh the joy of having breakfast or dinner (ideally both, though not at the same time) on a train as the scenery rushes past!  I used to travel between London and various places as part of my job, and the breakfast out, dinner back was an absolute pleasure. Especially when someone else was paying for it! Really good food on LNER too, and fine service.

Just for you Harry. I’ll be back to cattle class in the new year. 

3B1DE510-64BB-4AC3-B5C8-7649E4D43180.jpeg

BB060A65-E400-4AFC-80D2-DE8C694B635C.jpeg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I send Jacqui Lawson cards for all occasions to family and friends outside the UK but I still like to send real hand made cards to friends and family here in the UK. 

• Like 5