P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning, 1C here and overcast, snow flurries forecast for this evening. I took the car in for its first service this morning, glad of heated seats and steering wheel this morning. Local primary school not back until tomorrow so not too much of a problem revering off drive this morning. 

I will start planning the vegetable garden this week, deciding what to grow and where, spring cabbage crop coming on well, Cauliflower not so well, think I will invest in cloche tunnel to give some additional protection from the cold.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

T to finish off a phone appointment with the doctor to discuss my test results which means my sister has to do this afternoon's school run which will get her out of the house.

Have a good day whatever you are doing today.

Whenever I read test results I can't help but smile and think of this old joke

A male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A pretty, young, student nurse appears to give him a partial sponge bath. 'Nurse', he mumbles, from behind the mask. 'Are my testicles black?' Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, 'I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet.' He struggles to ask again, 'Nurse, please check. Are my testicles black?' Concerned that he may elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worry about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers. She raises his gown, holds his testicles.

Then, she takes a close look and says, 'There's nothing wrong with them, Sir!'

The man pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her and says very slowly: 'Thank you very much. That was wonderful, but, listen very, very closely...... 'A r e - m y - t e s t - r e s u l t s - b a c k ??'

• Haha 21

I tried ringing my consultant to get my MRI results. Rang the number I had for his secretary, she's not in today and gave another number to ring. Rang that number and they're away 'til the 15th. Rang the main neurosurgery number, and after several more phone calls finally got through to speak to someone and am now waiting for her to e-mail the oncology department, as they carried out the treatment, for someone to ring me. Talk about going round the houses. 😵 So I am now waiting for a phone call!  

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I tried ringing my consultant to get my MRI results. Rang the number I had for his secretary, she's not in today and gave another number to ring. Rang that number and they're away 'til the 15th. Rang the main neurosurgery number, and after several more phone calls finally got through to speak to someone and am now waiting for her to e-mail the oncology department, as they carried out the treatment, for someone to ring me. Talk about going round the houses. 😵 So I am now waiting for a phone call!  

How frustrating for you. I will keep my fingers crossed you results are good

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, purplesea said:

SO annoying and I’m sure it doesn’t do your blood pressure much good.

Hoping you get the phone call soon. 🤞

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yep they can be frustrating my Mrs had a big op around beginning of Sept and was

told that the dept would give her a telephone appointment to make sure all is well a

few weeks after. This has been cancelled umpteen times and told to make a new

telephone call appointment. The other day they decided all must be well and said 

for  her not to renew any appointments they have cancelled.

Luckily she's fine .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Admin seems to let the NHS down a lot

Is it a case of not being able to think of draining the swamp when you’re up to your wotsit in alligators? Feels like it

• Like 3

Hi Everyone

It's been snowing here this afternoon - not much and it hasn't settled but still lovely to see. It is very cold though - just taken out a mortgage to pay for the heating!

This is very a quick message to say I hope everyone waiting for results get a good outcome, all lovely dogs are recovering,  and I'm waiting for Avril's latest update to know how Frank is progressing. 

Best wishes to all. Jane xx

• Like 10

Purplesea, it's the same here my husband went for a MRI scan and we had to chase up the results over a few days not good for stress levels! I am expecting the same to happen after he gets his bone scan tomorrow 🤐

• Like 7

Hope everyone is staying warm. Phoned family in Essex and snowing. Here in Madeira a mixed day of sunshine and showers and 22c, not complaining. Enjoying Azura, more traditional than Iona and Arvia, we like it. Love having breakfast in the Epicurian, slightly better than the buffet !. Sea day tomorrow, then La Palma. 

• Like 13

The pharmacist at the doctor's surgery has phoned me to give me the bad news about my blood test.  For the first time my blood level has shown a cholesterol level of 5.0 so I have to call at the pharmacy tomorrow to pick up 3 months worth of statins.  I have a another blood test and review booked at the surgery on 18th March.

I am now going to investigate dietary changes to try to get the cholesterol down before my review because I am not happy about taking drugs for anything.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The pharmacist at the doctor's surgery has phoned me to give me the bad news about my blood test.  For the first time my blood level has shown a cholesterol level of 5.0 so I have to call at the pharmacy tomorrow to pick up 3 months worth of statins.  I have a another blood test and review booked at the surgery on 18th March.

I am now going to investigate dietary changes to try to get the cholesterol down before my review because I am not happy about taking drugs for anything.

You can do it. Go for lean meat, skinless chicken, game and more fish... like salmon. Go wholemeal with bread, rice and pasta and keep up the fruit and vegetables. There is lots of advice... some on the NHS site. We promise that the NHS guidelines can work and can make a difference. Best of luck.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been on satins for about 20 years. They work for me and my results are around 3.5. No snide effects I can see, or me. We went to A&E this morning.  " you were here in September Mrs Zap. Haven't you heard anything ?" No they told me 28 weeks. There is a junior doctors strike so we were seen by some bloke in a shirt and tie. 28 weeks..not in my hospital. I give you my word ,I will sort it. Trust me...expect a call within 2 weeks.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry to read this Josy 

I know you said the other day you had booked a cruise, may I just remind you to let your travel insurance know that you have had raised levels of cholesterol .

Most insurance class this as "Ever in your life time "   

I got mine back down but still have to declare it .😒

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Benecol *drinks* (or supermarket equivalent) keep my OH below the level currently deemed too high.  I like to think we’ve always had a decent diet but we’ve increased oats (organic are best) which is supposed to help.  Have a look at theBritish Heart Foundation website

Good luck!

• Like 5

Is 5 above the normal for cholesterol?  I had thought it was getting to the top of the normal range, but not above.  And the levels of 'good and bad' cholesterol also make a difference, my Dr said, and are taken into account.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

Sorry to read this Josy 

I know you said the other day you had booked a cruise, may I just remind you to let your travel insurance know that you have had raised levels of cholesterol .

Most insurance class this as "Ever in your life time "   

I got mine back down but still have to declare it .😒

Insurance asked this on our renewal but they didn't know what number was classed as raised only if doctor had said it was.

5 or under is okay.

I remember 5 years ago my cholesterol was 4 and doctor said it was raised from 3.5 the previous year and I needed statins.

I refused statins at that time but a statin was put on my medical record anyway even though I didn't get it.

I have been on statins as required after my heart attack 4 years ago and my reading is 2.5.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Cholesterol levels are a real mine field as so many things can affect it, one being stress which considering the year you have had Josy could be a factor, good luck getting it down and I hope the non drug plan works for you as I am like minded and take drugs as a last line of defence.

• Like 8

Good evening everyone.

Well another fews days more we're told. His hb levels still are't high enough yet so he's booked in for a colonoscopy. Now i'm back to nattering again as to what the problem is. They keep mentioning this ruddy 'leak' and it's frustrating, I wish Frank had asked him. 

On the plus side he's still eating well and has gained a little weight and best of all, he's not on the heart monitor.

I hope all the test results being waited for are back soon with a positive result and @Josy1953I also agree with Benecol drinks and also Benecol spread. they were recommend by our doctor and do help in lowering cholesterol.

Avril

• Like 16

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I have been on statins as required after my heart attack 4 years ago and my reading is 2.5.

I got mine back under control but the travel insurance we use asks ..

"Have you ever been told your cholesterol has been raised   Ever in your life time"

I would hate anyone to fill in their insurance declarations falsely and end up with a non 

payment should they put a claim in at a later date .

• Like 7

PS - agree about stress

You’re probably stressing about statins now, too!

My OH asked for three months to do the diet changes etc & said he’d consider statins if that didn’t work.  Doc was happy with that

3 months should give time for your life to settle (maybe a cruise?) and you to find your *new normal*

(Boring, well meaning but *there’s nothing easier than living someone else’s life* alert)

Josy - if ever there was a reason for saying No, to ferrying children to school, or organising bowls, or whatever, you have it now.  Put yourself first!  You deserve it.  You’ve looked after everyone else - now look after yourself

• Like 6