P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Good morning everyone, it’s a beautiful sunny morning here, good weather is forecast for most of the week - hopefully 

I am going into Lytham soon, need last bits for our cruise which has come around really quickly and I now find myself under pressure as I have loads of other things to do. Need to get the grandchildren Easter eggs too, they like the ones from Thornton’s with their name on it. Then hospital appointment for my mum this afternoon for a check up. She is doing really well compared to where she was.

Have a nice day everyone whatever you are doing 

Michelle

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Close.

Overlooking Roker beach.

IMG_20240304_073936.jpg

We have spent many happy days and nights there ☺️

20170903_064020.thumb.jpg.b141d0c4db07461283f9127608cdc5f8.jpg

• Like 8

Another gorgeous morning here, quite warm now in the sun albeit frosty first thing. I put both lines of washing out just before 08:00 and my little pinkies were frozen. Mrs YP usually sorts the washing as she has her way and I don't do it the same, so not my place to argue.

However she has trochanteric-pain-syndrome where the bursis on her hip is swollen and she is struggling to walk properly so obviously I have stood up to the plate and taken over domestic duties. I will be monitoring her to make sure she isn't swinging the lead. 

For anyone that uses Costa, they have their gift card offer available where you get £5 off per £20 purchase. As usual I will be taking advantage and sending Mrs YP some gift cards, especially as it will be her birthday soon. I will have to stop spoiling her. 

• Like 11

Hi everyone

We've had an exciting weekend, baby grandson was born Friday morning, he missed being a 29th Feb baby by 1 hour, he's totally gorgeous 🥰

We've also started thinking about our end of May cruise, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express M27 Jct.7 the night before our first 2 cruises. We have a room booked there again for this year but wondered if it's worth spending extra to stay in the main Holiday Inn in Southampton? The cost is twice as much but there is cricket on at the Ageas Bowl on the night of our stay again  and last time that made parking at the hotel very difficult. Any opinions welcome.

• Like 24

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Hi everyone

We've had an exciting weekend, baby grandson was born Friday morning, he missed being a 29th Feb baby by 1 hour, he's totally gorgeous 🥰

We've also started thinking about our end of May cruise, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express M27 Jct.7 the night before our first 2 cruises. We have a room booked there again for this year but wondered if it's worth spending extra to stay in the main Holiday Inn in Southampton? The cost is twice as much but there is cricket on at the Ageas Bowl on the night of our stay again  and last time that made parking at the hotel very difficult. Any opinions welcome.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby grandson.

The Holiday Inn is next to the gate of City Terminal.

We stayed once years ago and had rooms overlooking the Solent and had great views of the ships arriving and departing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Glad all is well to know and mum and baby are doing fine .😀

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last cruise and had no problems apart from 

they were having the lifts refurbed so one was out of service of the two .

That was late October so should be sorted by now .

When staying here before check in we refueled the car and had 

a great chippy meal at Mikes fish @chips  just top side of the garage .

Should you want to do either here's directions ...  Garage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

Lifts still being refurbed in January. Am there next week so maybe they will be done by then! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We've had an exciting weekend, baby grandson was born Friday morning, he missed being a 29th Feb baby by 1 hour, he's totally gorgeous

Many congratulations  to you both on the safe arrival of your beautiful grandson.💐

Avril

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your news - an auspicious day;  my gorgeous daughter was born on 1st March, and her idle twin brother on 2nd!  (Four hours apart).  She is still gorgeous, he is no longer idle, though  he was up to being about 25.  

I feel sure that although interesting to be born on Leap Year day, he will appreciate having a proper birthday every year and not having to wait four years for or his first birthday.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We got back on Thursday from our QM2 cruise from Cape Town to Sydney and surprisingly had virtually zero jet lag. Our management of the return flight seemed to work, i.e. live uk time after leaving Sydney with regards to when to sleep and eat on the flight, get the pain over before landing. We had a couple of uncontrolled 10 minutes naps over the first couple of days back but a part from that we got back into uk sleep patterns without a problem.

Welcome home.

I enjoyed reading all about your holiday and seeing all the photos. Thank you.

We all have our own tricks to try and combat jet lag on long haul flights.  We would set our watches to UK time after take off when the seat belt signs were turned off, and then only used UK time to try to gradually adjust. It didn't work 100% of the time, but worked more often than not. 

Avril

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all 🥰 baby was 12 days late and our daughter was worried he'd be a whopper but he was a perfectly respectable 7lb. His older brother hasn't plucked up the courage to get too close yet, he's appreciating him from a safe distance 😂

Thanks for info on Holiday Inn. If we were to have a late embarkation time on Britannia, we had 3:30pm on Ventura last year, do you know if they allow people to stay in the hotel lounge area?

We're torn between Holiday Inn Express - much cheaper and great breakfast but will need to arrive mid afternoon to get a parking space and then there's not much to do locally, or Holiday Inn ...paying quite a bit more but have places to walk to.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Welcome home.

I enjoyed reading all about your holiday and seeing all the photos. Thank you.

We all have our own tricks to try and combat jet lag on long haul flights.  We would set our watches to UK time after take off when the seat belt signs were turned off, and then only used UK time to try to gradually adjust. It didn't work 100% of the time, but worked more often than not. 

Avril

Never found jet lag a problem when flying from South Africa has you don't cross time zones.

Sorry, just realised they flew from Sydney totally different.

Edited by Bloodaxe

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Thank god for that.We got stuck in one of those lifts for 20 mins 5 years ago.We got out just as the fire brigade turned up,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Hi everyone

Congratulations on the birth of your grandson!!! Hope mum and baby are both ok. I am sure you will be looking forward to many Grandma cuddles 

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Thank god for that.We got stuck in one of those lifts for 20 mins 5 years ago.We got out just as the fire brigade turned up,lol.

Mrs brian must have been very disappointed.😒

I know I would have been😉😁

Sis

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

There is a serious case of "man flu" in this house tonight.  I think that we need to be a vaccination against it because it is very a very serious illness

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 5

Many congratulations on your lovely news @SarahHben ! 

Re the hotels, I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn by the terminals once and it’s so close to everything in town. I was shocked at the price this year so we’re staying at the one near the cricket ground in June! At Easter we’re staying at the Hilton overlooking the cricket ground itself, looking forward to that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just be aware that the adjacent gate is closed to the public before,during and after the boat show for lorries setting up the show.It was a mission walking to the next gate with cases not realising how far and awkward it was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

At Easter we’re staying at the Hilton overlooking the cricket ground itself, looking forward to that!

Hope you have a good time Sue .We found the hotel and breakfast and the transfers

to the port very good .

The other meal services were on the pricy side so we used a pub recommend by 

one of the staff .  Called The West End Brewery .Very easy to get to and  you have 

other shops very close by such as ASDA store for your last minute things or snacks

for your hotel stay . Will put direction's should you need them ...  HERE  🙂  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Many congratulations on your lovely news @SarahHben ! 

Re the hotels, I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn by the terminals once and it’s so close to everything in town. I was shocked at the price this year so we’re staying at the one near the cricket ground in June! At Easter we’re staying at the Hilton overlooking the cricket ground itself, looking forward to that!

Thank you 😊

We decided last. Night that Holiday Inn in town was too expensive, over £200, so have booked Holiday Inn Fareham instead. We’ve stayed there before and it’s close to Port Solent shops and restaurants. Our first choice would have been HI Express near the cricket ground if it wasn’t for cricket being on that day and likely to be busy, they do a good breakfast 😊 Are you staying there pre-cruise?

• Like 3