P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Starting to feel like a giant at 5' 7".  Used to be an inch and a half taller from the age of 12 until fairly recently.  One advantage of being small is that you are shorter than all the boys!  They do tend to prefer girls who don't tower over them.  (Apart from Bernie Ecclestone and Rod Stewart   of course).

Jane, lots of luck with the new diagnosis.  It can probably just sit there for years without causing trouble - I have had one in the brain for 30 years which apparently has not grown; just made me completely deaf in that ear, which is how it got diagnosed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Starting to feel like a giant at 5' 7".  Used to be an inch and a half taller from the age of 12 until fairly recently.  One advantage of being small is that you are shorter than all the boys!  They do tend to prefer girls who don't tower over them.  (Apart from Bernie Ecclestone and Rod Stewart   of course).

Jane, lots of luck with the new diagnosis.  It can probably just sit there for years without causing trouble - I have had one in the brain for 30 years which apparently has not grown; just made me completely deaf in that ear, which is how it got diagnosed.

I am also 5ft 7in….

• Like 6

Fair day here again, this will be the fourth day on the trot where we have not needed to put the heating on. Not quite time to cast a clahht though.

Seems to be a fair few vertically challenged folk on here. Reminds me of my old mam as she was just under five feet, which is probably why she struggled to put food on the table. My dad was 5'7" yet my younger brother and myself are just over 6'2". Both my grandchildren are taller than me so I recon there is a tall gene lurking in the family.

• Like 9

We are happy to be home from our cruise though it looks like a busy few days.  I have an appointment to collect my new glasses tomorrow,  a dental appointment on Wednesday and appointment at the cardiology unit on Thursday.

Bowling season starts on Saturday so I will be hoping for a dry day for our first match.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Tom Cruise would love to date you vertically challenged ladies.He hates those platform shoes.

Sorry but he is the one star that makes me scream .....I can't stand the man. Will have to stick to tall ... ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry but he is the one star that makes me scream .....I can't stand the man. Will have to stick to tall ... 😉

It’s a good job your hubby is 6ft 13in+

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder how may cancers are found incidentally,

No cancer, but happened to me too.  While trying to find agonising groin pain they found unrelated artery obstructions in my legs.  Had two stents put in.

Still not found the groin pain but have found the back problems.  Going in on Thursday to London for epidural in hip, more spinal injections (different than before) and some radiofrequency treatment. Surgeon feels that if we throw the book at it it might find the groin problem itself,  He suspects a nerve in the stomach.  At one stage it was breaking my heart seeing OH  tearful beside me when hanging on the wall in agony, because he felt so helpless.

Also not happy that with the side effect of one of the meds I have put on nearly 10 kilos.

As an aside, we have to be there at 7 am so have to travel in the night before. I dare not think about     the hundreds for hotel bill when we will only be there for a few hours sleep.  I found out that the hospital got a 'good' discount at a local Hotel.  I enquired.  They wanted £750 for three of us!!!

• Like 11

Good morning.

It's been a while since I last visited the Wide Awake Club. I've been tossing and tuning since 2.30 and finally gave in and got up. I hate nights like these, they throw my whole day off.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 9

I went to bed at 11.15 and last heard the clock chime at 12.30 before I fell asleep. I shall be like a limp rag for the rest of the day, but I'll be having an early night that's for sure. 

It's a liitle damp here after some rain during the night, but high winds and more rain forecast for today.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 11

So you have only had a couple of hours Avril, when that happens to me it’s usually around 6 to 6.30 in morning I’m getting tired again and sneak back off again for a hour or so , I hope you get back to sleep again soon .

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Purdey16 said:

So you have only had a couple of hours Avril, when that happens to me it’s usually around 6 to 6.30 in morning I’m getting tired again and sneak back off again for a hour or so , I hope you get back to sleep again soon .

Thank you Sandra. Goodnight and sleep well.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone get to see the solar eclipse? 

We didn’t bother to look because of the low cloud cover.

I went to bed just after 10pm last night and slept quite well.  My fitbit is saying that I managed 6hrs 7 mins with only 1 long awake period between 3 and 4:35 before dropping off again with small periods of waking.

My day is looking busy with a trip to Tesco for a big shop then a trip to the optician to pick up my new glasses.

DH has suggested that we should go to look for a new car because we both dislike the Yaris that we bought last year and don't feel comfortable driving to Southampton in it and after yesterday's looooong journey home on the coach we both said that we want to drive down for our next cruise in the summer.

No school run for me today, my sister rang last night to say that she will do it today and I can take over again tomorrow, I resisted reminding her that they are her grandchildren not mine.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

No cancer, but happened to me too.  While trying to find agonising groin pain they found unrelated artery obstructions in my legs.  Had two stents put in.

Still not found the groin pain but have found the back problems.  Going in on Thursday to London for epidural in hip, more spinal injections (different than before) and some radiofrequency treatment. Surgeon feels that if we throw the book at it it might find the groin problem itself,  He suspects a nerve in the stomach.  At one stage it was breaking my heart seeing OH  tearful beside me when hanging on the wall in agony, because he felt so helpless.

Also not happy that with the side effect of one of the meds I have put on nearly 10 kilos.

As an aside, we have to be there at 7 am so have to travel in the night before. I dare not think about     the hundreds for hotel bill when we will only be there for a few hours sleep.  I found out that the hospital got a 'good' discount at a local Hotel.  I enquired.  They wanted £750 for three of us!!!

Hope all goes well for you on Thursday 

Michelle

• Like 6

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

It looks miserable outside here today, heavy rain forecast for this morning and really windy.

We had a wall knocked down between kitchen and dining room while we were on holiday and have a joiner here for next few days putting new flooring down otherwise I am not doing much today.

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 9

Day has dawned at our idyllic paradise in North Wales.

IMG_0168.thumb.jpeg.4c448e32be3ff786f450d234b5978007.jpegNot only has the world turned upside down (probably thanks to the Americans messing around with the sun and moon yesterday), but at 3:10 this morning the phone rang with a warning that flooding is expected today at high tide in a few hours. Shouldn’t be a problem for us because we are in a raised position but, mentioning no names, those on the flat may need wellies. 

Rain has been hammering down for hours (not just April showers) and the wind is baring its teeth, as is the sea. The joys of a British summer.

Oh, and it is coming up to the time when Charlie  🐶️ expects his morning walk although he is trying hard to pretend he is still asleep at the moment.

Have a great day wherever you are.

• Like 8

Wet and windy again *sigh*

Jane - hope you’re sleeping ok after your medical news.  All the best for that.  And Indiana too.  Our health really is the base line isn’t it?  Everything depends

Anybody feel like this?8647C529-88CF-4C24-83A8-2A7DF9FAAF9E.thumb.jpeg.73d16af641fdb581004e0ee11e818360.jpeg

• Haha 15

27 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Did anyone get to see the solar eclipse? 

We didn’t bother to look because of the low cloud cover.

I went to bed just after 10pm last night and slept quite well.  My fitbit is saying that I managed 6hrs 7 mins with only 1 long awake period between 3 and 4:35 before dropping off again with small periods of waking.

My day is looking busy with a trip to Tesco for a big shop then a trip to the optician to pick up my new glasses.

DH has suggested that we should go to look for a new car because we both dislike the Yaris that we bought last year and don't feel comfortable driving to Southampton in it and after yesterday's looooong journey home on the coach we both said that we want to drive down for our next cruise in the summer.

No school run for me today, my sister rang last night to say that she will do it today and I can take over again tomorrow, I resisted reminding her that they are her grandchildren not mine.

Have a good day everyone.

Eclipse wasn’t visible from here in Shropshire, if it was we wouldn’t have seen it due to the rain we had around 8pm last night.

I love my Yaris Cross, possibly the best car I have ever owned and the first automatic, certainly uses less petrol than any previous car and more comfortable I feel less stiff after a long journey. I would buy it again. We are thinking of driving to Southern France in September so the ultimate test for a long journey. 

My wife owns a Yaris as well and loves driving it, especially with the 77mpg she is currently getting. 

Hope you find a car that suits your needs. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I love my Yaris Cross, possibly the best car I have ever owned and the first automatic, certainly uses less petrol than any previous car and more comfortable I feel less stiff after a long journey. I would buy it again. We are thinking of driving to Southern France in September so the ultimate test for a long journey. 

My wife owns a Yaris as well and loves driving it, especially with the 77mpg she is currently getting. 

Hope you find a car that suits your needs. 

I bought a new Yaris hybrid a few years ago, after having my old much-loved Jazz since 2006, but neither of us really enjoyed driving it, and so we sold it to a Yaris dealer for £1k more than we paid - I can't imagine that ever happening again!

So it was back to a Jazz, but I had to wait until last autumn for delivery because I wanted heated seats and a heated steering wheel and their current models at the start of the year didn't have the heated steering wheel, plus I expect it to be the last car I ever buy given than I am happy to drive an old car, so wanted it to be 'right'.

Much happier with a Jazz but we both like our comfy old Jazz, which we still own and has less than 50k miles on it. We also own a diesel Skoda Superb estate (which we use for long journeys) and a long-wheelbase VW van, which is DH's pride and joy (it's old but well cared for). It's essential for his hobby 😏. Fortunately, we are not short of parking space ...... but I know it doesn't make any sense owning 4 vehicles for 2 of us 😁

• Like 5