P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Following our cruise from hell on Sky Princess I emailed Princess guest services with details of the problems that we had on the cruise.  I have just had a call from a very nice young man to discuss the issues and to let us know that they have applied a 25% future cruise credit to our account.

We are not sure that we want to risk another cruise with them but if we are feeling brave or stupid in the future 25% is a good saving on the cost of a cruise.

Hi, I don't frequent the boards regularly these days but just drop in now and again so I have missed many discussions.......

What was the problem with this cruise Josy,  if you don't mind me asking?

( thinking of trying Sky next year)

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Following our cruise from hell on Sky Princess I emailed Princess guest services with details of the problems that we had on the cruise.  I have just had a call from a very nice young man to discuss the issues and to let us know that they have applied a 25% future cruise credit to our account.

We are not sure that we want to risk another cruise with them but if we are feeling brave or stupid in the future 25% is a good saving on the cost of a cruise.

At least they have acknowledged that there were issues.

Might be worth using if you have ever wanted to do a longer cruise at a quieter time, good discount.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

@Adawn47 how is the BP now? Better I hope.

Much better now thank you. Still the occasional blips, but altogether okay. I think it must be a combination of doing my daily Thai Chi exercises again, not just when I can  be bothered,  getting off my sorry bum and doing something and a couple of cups of Hibiscus tea on an afternoon. I'm feeling more relaxed now too, so thank you for the tip.

Avril

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Hi, I don't frequent the boards regularly these days but just drop in now and again so I have missed many discussions.......

What was the problem with this cruise Josy,  if you don't mind me asking?

( thinking of trying Sky next year)

See Josy's post    https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2742831-po-cruisers-what-are-things-like-where-you-are/?do=findComment&comment=67644139

ALSO 

So Gareth Southgate has announced his resignation. He says "It's time for a new chapter". I say thank you Gareth for everything you did for our national team. You're a really decent man and I'm sorry you didn't achieve your dreams of a major trophy. Good luck with whatever the future holds for you.

Regarding previous discussions about supporting other teams. I do. If any of the other UK teams are playing, in any sport, I support them. As a die-hard Arsenal supporter of course I still support Spurs in any tournament Arsenal are not involved in. Taught by my dad aged 11 when I watched my first match with him. Another decent man.

Have a good afternoon everyone. Jane xx

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, kalos said:

Many thanks for posting. I didn't realise that this review  was posted *very* recently! Don't know why,I assumed it was some time ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Now you're drifting back to the days when there was the word 'Sportsmanship' when people enjoyed the friendly rivalry of the sport.  We now have violence and segregation of fans. Such a shame.

Avril

I remember being at Wrexham’s last home game of the 78-79 season as a 14 year old with my grandfather. Sunderland were the visitors and they were in with a shot of promotion to the old First Division. The atmosphere all season had been good, until this last game when some Sunderland supporters managed to get into our enclosure. I was scared stiff and had never heard such abusive language before! Some of them were p……ing on the terraces and my elderly grandfather did his best to shield me! They were also pushing down on us and we tried to stand in front of a rail to prevent us from toppling over. So there was plenty of violence then too!

I’ve reassessed my opinion of Sunderland folk (for the better) since coming across Graham on this forum! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I remember being at Wrexham’s last home game of the 78-79 season as a 14 year old with my grandfather. Sunderland were the visitors and they were in with a shot of promotion to the old First Division. The atmosphere all season had been good, until this last game when some Sunderland supporters managed to get into our enclosure. I was scared stiff and had never heard such abusive language before! Some of them were p……ing on the terraces and my elderly grandfather did his best to shield me! They were also pushing down on us and we tried to stand in front of a rail to prevent us from toppling over. So there was plenty of violence then too!

I’ve reassessed my opinion of Sunderland folk (for the better) since coming across Graham on this forum! 

So are you from Wrexham? That’s my wife’s home town, now city.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Many years ago, when we were spending Christmas with my sister, bil and family,my nephew had bought tickets to go to the Boxing day match between Stockport at home to Barnsley. We were in the stands surrounded by Stockport supporters and Paul said 'Aunt Avril if in the unlikely event that Barnsley score, please don't cheer' Cheeky monkey! Well they did score, I jumped up cheering and clapping, and the fans around us began laughing and clapping with me. That was the last game we ever went to. It's sad how things are now.

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

So are you from Wrexham? That’s my wife’s home town, now city.

No, not from Wrexham, but the wilds of Mid Wales! It was a 100 mile drive there and back every other Saturday. They were good days and the good days are back again! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Thank you for your nice words.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience at the game in the 78/79 season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I see the Spanish Euro winning team have been totally inappropriate during their celebration in Madrid, according to reports.

Less than gracious in victory. 

Do you think it would have been any different in the unlikely event that England had won? England were poor throughout the tournament and were lucky to reach the final. They won just two of their seven games within the scheduled 90 minutes, scored two last minute goals and a very dodgy penalty in the semi final. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your nice words.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience at the game in the 78/79 season.

Chelsea were even worse the following season, but we won that game I think!

• Like 1

We went out to dinner tonight, like a date night🤣

Although we were  dismissed from the Court case after lunch it took it out of us,remembering events from two years ago.  I had  questions regarding the vehicle in our wall being very slightly to one side.  On the day this is something I would never have noticed. Most of my questions were about being offered a trip up the pub and leaving the scene.

It was when the Off Duty Officer missed the corner and drove into our wall. How he wasn't killed I will never know.  We didn't bring proceedings Police Conduct did re leaving the scene offering drinks and other things ie abuse of Warrant. The case has two more days to run which is for forensics and science expert witnesses so goodness knows what else there was.

All we know is the wall cost £17,000, which was paid by his Insurers.  They couldn't match the wall so it had to be a completely new one,   The annoying thing was our Insurers hiked up our yearly payment up by £300..

I'm having a lazy day with a jigsaw tomorrow and giving my brain a rest.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Do you think it would have been any different in the unlikely event that England had won? England were poor throughout the tournament and were lucky to reach the final. They won just two of their seven games within the scheduled 90 minutes, scored two last minute goals and a very dodgy penalty in the semi final. 

I have no idea, you may be right. I don’t see any equivalent with Gibraltar though?

I just found the Spanish chanting about something which has nothing whatsoever to do with sport or even winning inappropriate.

• Like 5

Well as you can see from the time stamp I am having a sleepless night. I don’t stress over it any more, just get on and do something, the something in the last hour has been making a curry for dinner tomorrow night so the house now smells of garlic, ginger and spices.

I was reading an newspaper article about the diet of many children now being two thirds ultra processed food, which is a worry.I was brought up on homemade food and the only UPF we probably ever had was the very odd Vesta curry (if anyone remembers them) but you were lucky if that was twice a year! 

We eat virtually no processed food even now with meals prepared from scratch, homemade bread etc. . It is much easier time wise since retirement so I can be more adventuress in my cooking but while I worked I still cooked fresh.

If I hadn’t already been a fresh food fan a book I read recently would have pushed me in that direction. Ultra Processed People by Dr Chris Van Tulleken gives an insight into just how bad all the processed food in an average modern diet is and how many hidden additives, sugars etc there are even in “fresh” pre prepared meals. The book is well worth reading.

Anyway I hope everyone else is in the land of nod having a good nights rest.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well as you can see from the time stamp I am having a sleepless night. I don’t stress over it any more, just get on and do something, the something in the last hour has been making a curry for dinner tomorrow night so the house now smells of garlic, ginger and spices.

I was reading an newspaper article about the diet of many children now being two thirds ultra processed food, which is a worry.I was brought up on homemade food and the only UPF we probably ever had was the very odd Vesta curry (if anyone remembers them) but you were lucky if that was twice a year! 

We eat virtually no processed food even now with meals prepared from scratch, homemade bread etc. . It is much easier time wise since retirement so I can be more adventuress in my cooking but while I worked I still cooked fresh.

If I hadn’t already been a fresh food fan a book I read recently would have pushed me in that direction. Ultra Processed People by Dr Chris Van Tulleken gives an insight into just how bad all the processed food in an average modern diet is and how many hidden additives, sugars etc there are even in “fresh” pre prepared meals. The book is well worth reading.

I'd love a bacon sarnie now,but porridge and berries for me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have no idea, you may be right. I don’t see any equivalent with Gibraltar though?

I just found the Spanish chanting about something which has nothing whatsoever to do with sport or even winning inappropriate.

You are absolutely correct in saying singing about the ‘ownership’ of Gibraltar was inappropriate and wrong. As a football fan, attending 20+ matches a season, I condemn it completely. However, a small minority of English fans (as far as we know not players) also bring disgrace to the game and whoever they represent by, for example, singing the theme from Dambusters aimed at German teams or making reference to tragedies such as Hillsborough. Only a small number, most football fans condemn it, but sadly we are as guilty as others.  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was also bought on home cooked meals and it has stuck with me, we rarely have processed foods and both of us are careful about fats and sugars.  My parents were both diabetic mum type 1 insulin dependent and dad type 2 and I would hate to go down either road.  We are far from perfect when it comes to food choices but things like burgers, sausages, bacon, red meats and sweets are all rare on our table but we both enjoy eating out and will sometimes have things that we don't eat at home.

I am off to Amazon now to order Ultra Processed People, it sounds interesting.

• Like 6

Currently 15C, rising to 22C this afternoon, have seen the forecast here for Friday, where temperatures reach 28C 🥵

May mow lawn and cut the hedge today, as it’s looking hot for the next few days

• Like 3