P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

The best was held to last, the stunning light show from the Eiffel Tower, Rafa’s broad smile as he took the torch from Zinedine Zidane, the approach to the Louvre and the wow moment of lighting the flame in the form of a hot air balloon and the view across Paris.

We have both said it’s time for a return visit to Paris as it’s been 40+ years since Inwas there and 30+ for my wife. To far away when we are in Brittany in few weeks, so perhaps a Eurostar trip later. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We did a similar trip, and actually found the Rockies to be far more spectacular than mainland Alaska.  Although the Glaciers and the calving was exceptional.

Rockies were indeed spectacular, but we saw more eagles in Alaska. Both will do.

A final thought on the opening ceremony -  it seems that if you had a seat at the riverbank to watch the teams go by you would not be able to see any of the special scenes which were on TV, so even if it had been a fine evening a bit of a damp squib in my mind, and in the pouring rain even less desirable.  If I had paid good money to be there I would have been pretty cross.  The whole outdoor thing was a lovely idea which should  have been squashed early on, sadly.  The BBC and Fred Syriex trying to make the best of it, of course.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, sagaris said:

Oh dear Avril, you have got me at it now😁.I have followed this thread from day 1, with the occasional post. I am on page 9, only another 2000 or so to go!!!

Molly

I'm on page 48 now.

Come on Molly, catch up😁

Avril

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kalos said:

🙂🙃image.jpeg.a54919730a350e2d13481108ac9a9a1d.jpeg😃🙂

Hopefully kalos

I'm waiting for someone to say 'I'm really worried about Jim' Then I'll know we have a classic😉

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

With four cruise ships in Southampton today I am sure they will be a few traveling

down from up north /midlands will be fretting, if stuck in traffic and praying that 

a few cruise coaches are stuck with them ,as there has been a major crash

causing part of the A34 to be closed .

This is a reason we always like to travel the day before to Southampton .

I watch the ships live on YouTube departures but think todays ships could be

delayed . Good luck to all who are stuck in this incident and hope everyone is ok.

image.png.bed10e9a08dff65a249f5f3091cf78d8.pngimage.png.bed10e9a08dff65a249f5f3091cf78d8.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I’m glad that I’ve got Discovery+ as part of my Sky subscription to pick and choose what Olympics sports to watch. I’ve dipped in and out of the BBC coverage today and they seem to do more talking than showing sport.

Discovery+ own the full broadcast rights, the BBC as a result has less access than it would like. It has 1 channel plus streaming on iPlayer and the red button

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

With four cruise ships in Southampton today I am sure they will be a few traveling

down from up north /midlands will be fretting, if stuck in traffic and praying that 

a few cruise coaches are stuck with them ,as there has been a major crash

causing part of the A34 to be closed .

This is a reason we always like to travel the day before to Southampton .

I watch the ships live on YouTube departures but think todays ships could be

delayed . Good luck to all who are stuck in this incident and hope everyone is ok.

image.png.bed10e9a08dff65a249f5f3091cf78d8.pngimage.png.bed10e9a08dff65a249f5f3091cf78d8.png

We always go down the night before for cruises, ferries or the Tunnel in order to reduce the risk of being held up in traffic, the one time we didn’t do that we arrived 30 mins before boarding closed due to an accident on the motorway 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Discovery+ own the full broadcast rights, the BBC as a result has less access than it would like. It has 1 channel plus streaming on iPlayer and the red button

Yeah I know that’s why I’m glad I have Discovery +. BBC were better this afternoon with uninterrupted ladies cycle time trial. We’ve just watched f1 quali and a watching brief on the test match as well in the advert breaks.

31 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yeah I know that’s why I’m glad I have Discovery +. BBC were better this afternoon with uninterrupted ladies cycle time trial. We’ve just watched f1 quali and a watching brief on the test match as well in the advert breaks.

Yes watching men’s time trial on BBC. Lots of extra Eurosport channels as well (think they are linked to TNT as is Discovery+)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We always go down the night before for cruises, ferries or the Tunnel in order to reduce the risk of being held up in traffic, the one time we didn’t do that we arrived 30 mins before boarding closed due to an accident on the motorway 

We always travel up the day before when going to the airport or port. From down here it is a good 5-6 hour journey if there are no problems, either on the road or railways.

• Like 3

We used to travel on the day, but not any more.  Rather nice to have a hotel the night before 5 minutes to the port.

I thought the Opening Ceremony was pretty awful except for Celine Dion whose voice was just magnificent.

• Like 5

For those not liking sport the television is a total wilderness at present, the main non sporting choices currently being offerings on the first and second world wars.  It's no wonder people are switching off in their droves. 

• Like 2

Gee...what a cloudburst we had up here in Lancashire at lunchtime in the Morecambe Bay area. We were on the M6 and at one point vision was zilch...never seen as many cars pulling over onto the hard shoulder....thank goodness up here we still have an hard shoulder to pull over onto. All is calm now

• Like 7

The rain behaved itself today.  The washing dried outside this morning, there was a short shower while I was driving to the bowling green where we were playing and stayed away until I was almost home this evening and now we have bright sun

We won the bowling game 184 to 48 so another good result for .the team.

I have managed to avoid the Olympics today but I will probably be watching tomorrow.

• Like 6

The weather looks good next week. Shall we pop down to Gunwharf. ...OK dear, shall we take a picnic?. OK, we can have that before we look in the Michael korrs shop....got me again.😂

• Haha 4