P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just a bit of overnight rain here ,and pale grey  skies this morning.  What I hate is the power going off when it is dark outside, and admit to being quite afraid of that happening again.  Got small torches round the house and I  know where they are, in case it happens again. Not nice if you live on your own.  It is the not knowing if it is for 5 minutes, or hours on end.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I hope that the lightening strike didn't do too much damage to your house.  My sister texted last night to say that a house on Saxonfields which is not far from her had been hit by lightening and that her power had gone off.

That is the house I was referring to not ours. We had a near miss in 1997, hit our next door but one neighbours house blew a hole in the roof, bounced over ours blew the telephone line out and scorched the curtain then started a fire in a house further down the road. Not something you can forget about easily.

18 hours ago, davecttr said:

Been a long time since posting, life gets in the way and my next cruise is not until June  2025. I passed my annual prostate review and have a new diabetes injection, once a week instead of daily. How much does it cost? Over £90 for one pen with 4 weekly doses for the NHS, otherwise from about £150 in the UK and in the USA the list price is over $1000. Seeing the consultant next week to plan my hand operations.

My bank contacted me today with the proper security protocols. There was a suspicious purchase on my credit card of 21 PENCE by a medical testing company in West Virginia yesterday evening. So the card is now blocked and a new card is being issued. Why 21 pence? and how did whoever did it get my credit card details? I did buy a Duracell charger from Argos online yesterday morning and collected it from the local store.

It is always good to hear from someone who hasn’t posted for a while.   Sounds like your medical problems are being solved bit by bit and hope it’s not too long before you are on the high seas again!  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Good Morning,

A very wet day here again, with heavy rain and flood warnings in place, but mild at 16c.

We had the storms yesterday morning and since having been struck by lightening many years ago, we now unplug any electrical items.

Going lunch today, to save on the cooking and washing up.

Still need to get the packing done for going away tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Buon Viaggio Purplesea,still hot in the South,our friends are posting pics of the beach etc,well jealous.One thunderstorm in the night for half hour here and no more rain until 3pm.Time for me to walk to the gym and back.The fields shouldn't be too muddy.Brian.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Well we were well and truly battered yesterday, house struck by lightening, flooded roads and they have forecast more to come today...Joy!

Screenshot_20240922-092546_Gallery.jpg

Hope there wasn’t too much damage to your house. So far we haven’t had any rain, I am sure we will though!!!

Michelle

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

Buon Viaggio Purplesea,still hot in the South,our friends are posting pics of the beach etc,well jealous.One thunderstorm in the night for half hour here and no more rain until 3pm.Time for me to walk to the gym and back.The fields shouldn't be too muddy.Brian.

Grazie.

We aren't far from the beach where we're staying, but we're not far from the beach here either, but there is a big difference in the water's temperature!

• Like 2

Lovely day out today. Light breakfast before an interesting tour round a distillery and a few really interesting drams. Then a country drive and tasty high tea.

Do you have high tea elsewhere in the U.K. or is it a Scottish thing? Afternoon tea is sandwiches, savouries, scones and cakes. High tea is later in the day and a hot dish like fish, steak pie, Mac cheese etc with lots of toast, tea, cream scones and cakes.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Do you have high tea elsewhere in the U.K. or is it a Scottish thing? Afternoon tea is sandwiches, savouries, scones and cakes. High tea is later in the day and a hot dish like fish, steak pie, Mac cheese etc with lots of toast, tea, cream scones and cakes.

In the north of England the meals for  most people were called dinner in the middle of the day, and tea around 5 or 6 - a lighter meal but with something cooked like macaroni cheese, beans on toast etc. That is, high tea but just called tea. Dinner would be the main meal with the meat and veg. and pudding.  Further south the meal in the middle of the day would be called lunch, and be the lighter one, and the one in the evening dinner or supper, around 6 to 7 and the one with the meat and veg.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have to say Graham that eating hot McDonalds food (or tepid when you are ready to eat it) seems a little out of order in a new car. I have had my new car for a couple of months now and no food of any description has been eaten in it. It still has the lingering new car smell untainted by the smell of fast food.

Yeah,but I bet he opens the windows when he puffs his Gunja.

1 hour ago, Waju said:

We’re touring Scotland at the moment and visited both the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies yesterday - both well worth a visit for anyone who’s never been 😊

I live about 30 minutes from them,  we go there for a walk sometimes. The Kelpies have lights inside of them and they change colour very striking when it's dark 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Lovely day out today. Light breakfast before an interesting tour round a distillery and a few really interesting drams. Then a country drive and tasty high tea.

No I agree with you. What you describe is high tea, well that’s what we called it  the NE. However ‘it was  something you went out for and had in a cafe. Afternoon tea is afternoon tea and not High Tea. But we do have a lot of Scotch ancestry in our family. I am sure cafes in Newcastle in the 50’s/60’s served High Tea.

• Like 1

We certainly had high tea here in Lancashire in the 50s/60s....possibly served only at weekends. We went to a lovely cafe at Copster Green...from memory it was something served with chips...usually a homemade pie...followed by a plate of cakes...once again homemade and some with fresh cream ...all served with a pot of tea. The cafe was always full so you had to book...mmmm....the memory is making my mouth water  😀 

• Thanks 1

Breakfast growing up was served anything from 7am to 8.30am before we went to

school,just us and mum as dad would get his in a transport cafe being a driver.

Dinner was served 12- 2 pm or 12 sharp if we were at school.

Tea as others have said could be owt from a sarnie to beans on toast.

After Sunday dinner 2pm in our house ,the next meal would be 5-6 pm, 

this was a salad with cheeses meats and sometimes chips,followed by 

a tin of fruit salad with cream or ice cream if I could catch the Walls  ice 

cream that came by late on Sunday.Then out with the biscuit barrel to finish.

Later in my working life most of the above did not apply as I would be taking 

my "Snap" to work ,some folk would know them better as "Bait"  or "Piece" to

name a few .

Things got more confusing when I visited my grandparents up Scotland as we 

could go out in the middle of the day and buy a fish supper !!  

Things can be confusing for some with what to call certain meal times but I have 

been reliably informed that if you want a "high "  tea, then the coffee shops of 

Amsterdam do exceedingly good cakes 🙃

Bon appetit,  take care and have a good day 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Breakfast growing up was served anything from 7am to 8.30am before we went to

school,just us and mum as dad would get his in a transport cafe being a driver.

Dinner was served 12- 2 pm or 12 sharp if we were at school.

Tea as others have said could be owt from a sarnie to beans on toast.

After Sunday dinner 2pm in our house ,the next meal would be 5-6 pm, 

this was a salad with cheeses meats and sometimes chips,followed by 

a tin of fruit salad with cream or ice cream if I could catch the Walls  ice 

cream that came by late on Sunday.Then out with the biscuit barrel to finish.

Later in my working life most of the above did not apply as I would be taking 

my "Snap" to work ,some folk would know them better as "Bait"  or "Piece" to

name a few .

Things got more confusing when I visited my grandparents up Scotland as we 

could go out in the middle of the day and buy a fish supper !!  

Things can be confusing for some with what to call certain meal times but I have 

been reliably informed that if you want a "high "  tea, then the coffee shops of 

Amsterdam do exceedingly good cakes 🙃

Bon appetit,  take care and have a good day 🙂

Was it Fussels cream in a tin 🤔