P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning 😀 It was really stormy around 3 am but we both just decided that

hibernation was the best option and went back to sleep.

12.c and calm now.The postie has just been with a letter each for us ...

It was the winter fuel allowance,stating if we were on benefits,we will

get it ,if not ,we wont,no action needed from us .

Can't help thinking ,how much has this cost to send these letters out .🤔

Should we recycle or set fire to them for a quick warm ?🙃

Hope you all have a good day Take Care 🙂

• Like 11

2 days ago I had a call come from Aberdeen I answered. Good job I did it was someone from reception calling me asking if I was onboard. It turned out I scanned my pass to get back on the ship security said it was fine. The system had not registered that I was back they were checking I was on before sailing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kalos said:

I suspect DWP have sent those letters out because of the WASPI issue, when thousands of women claim to have been completely unaware of the pension changes that were coming. An apparently rather pointless letter over the winter fuel payments, which most people are aware of - unless the failure to send it is used as a lever later down the line.

It does mention the pension credit possibility though, which some might otherwise miss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I suspect DWP have sent those letters out because of the WASPI issue, when thousands of women claim to have been completely unaware of the pension changes that were coming. An apparently rather pointless letter over the winter fuel payments, which most people are aware of - unless the failure to send it is used as a lever later down the line.

It does mention the pension credit possibility though, which some might otherwise miss.

I spoke to my MP following the WFA announcement and he had  assurance from the DWP that every pensioner would be informed by post of the change, using the usual notification process for WFA and that letters would contain details of Pension Credit and other benefits they might be entitled to but not claiming. Those pensioners entitle to WFA would get the usual standard letter informing of amount to be paid. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

I wonder if the budget will bring any news on the vaguely insulting £10 winter bonus, or whatever it’s called?  I think I read somewhere that this would be worth ?£120ish? if it had been uprated in line with inflation since Gordon Brown introduced it.

My opinion only, but I’d say uprate it or scrap it.  I don’t suppose scrapping will save a whole lot, in global terms but there you go

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I wonder if the budget will bring any news on the vaguely insulting £10 winter bonus, or whatever it’s called?  I think I read somewhere that this would be worth ?£120ish? if it had been uprated in line with inflation since Gordon Brown introduced it.

My opinion only, but I’d say uprate it or scrap it.  I don’t suppose scrapping will save a whole lot, in global terms but there you go

Agreed. Along with the 25p pw over-80 additional pension. But taking something away that’s already been given is about as easy as pulling a bone out of a Rottweiler’s mouth!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

2 days ago I had a call come from Aberdeen I answered. Good job I did it was someone from reception calling me asking if I was onboard. It turned out I scanned my pass to get back on the ship security said it was fine. The system had not registered that I was back they were checking I was on before sailing.

Nice of them to check.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Ours came from Belfast and said..you could apply for pension credit...Oh how they like a laugh.🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

As clear as mud to those unable to fathom out what applying for PC entails.A lot have sent these letters back unopened in protest.

• Like 1

I have long thought that the £10 bonus and 25p. extra a week should have been scrapped years ago - surely they cost a fair bit in admin., and are just an insult when you get them so more of a liability than an asset overall.  But it should have been fairly simple to just make the fuel allowance taxable, so most of us would lose some of it, and some people nearly half,  and those who do not pay tax would not have any reduction.  Too easy?  

• Like 10

2 hours ago, kalos said:

A few people I know have wrote on envelopes return to sender, wish I thought of that before I ripped them up.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have long thought that the £10 bonus and 25p. extra a week should have been scrapped years ago - surely they cost a fair bit in admin., and are just an insult when you get them so more of a liability than an asset overall.  But it should have been fairly simple to just make the fuel allowance taxable, so most of us would lose some of it, and some people nearly half,  and those who do not pay tax would not have any reduction.  Too easy?  

We’re getting a bit political now, though in a social policy discussion rather than party political back & forth.  Hope we don’t get sanctioned.

Anyway, imo, we seriously need to look at Universal Basic Income. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2024 at 12:33 PM, davecttr said:

Raining again this morning. The good news is my carpal tunnel surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and I have the food for a couple of weeks siege until the stitches come out. I have been practicing with my aids but socks and trousers are still a problem so maybe lounging around in my new towelling dressing gown rather than just using it after a shower to dry me off.

Hope your surgery goes well and that you are able to access Cruise Critic to keep you company whilst your hand heals. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

We’re getting a bit political now, though in a social policy discussion rather than party political back & forth.  Hope we don’t get sanctioned.

Anyway, imo, we seriously need to look at Universal Basic Income. 

Sounds a good idea, but like a lot of things how would it be financed. I doubt employers would be happy to foot the bill, and the Chancellor is not looking for any additional outgoings.

Had the worst weekend possible. We lost our eldest daughter on saturday. She had been under palliative care for a while with her MS. She was only 45. She leaves behind a husband, 3 children 21, 17 and 14 and 2 very devasted parents. Although we knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later we still can't get our heads round it. Will miss her forever.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Had the worst weekend possible. We lost our eldest daughter on saturday. She had been under palliative care for a while with her MS. She was only 45. She leaves behind a husband, 3 children 21, 17 and 14 and 2 very devasted parents. Although we knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later we still can't get our heads round it. Will miss her forever.

My sincere condolences. Even though you were expecting her passing, it doesn’t make it any easier. I am sure you have some lovely memories to cling on to and cherish

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, delgirl said:

No words could ease your pain on the loss of your child,heartbreaking news.

Condolences to you and all of your family 💔

Take care ,you will be in our thoughts .🙂

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, delgirl said:

I am so sorry for your loss

Your lives can never be the same but I hope that, in time, today’s sorrow will ease and allow you to recall happy memories 

Look after yourselves and each other

• Like 6