P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Strangely enough, I was thinking about Vamps as well. Hopefully she has more important things to do than post on here with us old fogeys.

Did she say they were going somewhere for a few days on one of her last posts, or am I just delusional.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:28 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

Are you getting many yachts visiting?  Our charter out of Falmouth for next week has been cancelled.  The poor old charter company has had no Govt help and would probably be bankrupted if they fully refunded deposits.  We've taken a voucher and will try again next year.

The weather was poor this weekend, so only a few made it in, but lots coming in now.  The wind is due to die down tomorrow so I would expect the weekend to be busy.  Did they cancel due to weather?

As I said on another post, it's the few who spoil it for the majority.  And yes, you were supposed to stay in your primary residence.  I also saw on TV that some of them sent their luggage down by courier so that if they were stopped by the police, they didn't look like visitors!  The other thing that irks us who live here is the second home owners only have to say their house is available for letting for 14 weeks, then they go onto Business Rates and pay nothing at all because they are exempt.  Then they come down and enjoy their property and no Council tax is paid.  Same in Cornwall.  Lots in the newspapers about it.  Local MP was going to try to stop it and then this virus hit.

Edited by jeanlyon

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The weather was poor this weekend, so only a few made it in, but lots coming in now.  The wind is due to die down tomorrow so I would expect the weekend to be busy.  Did they cancel due to weather?

We actually would have been picking up the boat tomorrow Grrrrrrrr.  Cancellation was more down to a combination of too close to the lockdown relaxation and the fact that we were multiple households (Sailing club members) as opposed to one household/bubble.  We'd actually charted two yachts.  One of the members retained one boat and is using it for a family holiday, though I don't his family are yotties, so they'll probably just stay moored up.

Good to hear that presumably owners are getting out & about on the water.  Whenever I look up Southampton on Marinetraffic, all the boats from a company our club uses for regattas are constantly moored up in Hamble.

Getting more and more concerned for our cousins across the pond.

Total confirmed cases  3,159,514

Total deaths                   134,883 Equates to just over 4%

Active cases                  1,631375 

WW2 America lost 418.000 personnel in total.

Our Cousins, needs to wake up to the reality!

Edited by mercury7289
to long in lock down

22 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Getting more and more concerned for our cousins across the pond.

Total confirmed cases  3,159,514

Total deaths                   134,883 Equates to just over 4%

Active cases                  1,631375 

WW2 America lost 418.000 personnel in total.

Our Cousins, needs to wake up to the reality!

America's handled this badly, but believe it or not our death rate per million is considerably worse.  Ours is the fourth worst in the world, and the US death rate per million is only two thirds of ours.

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

America's handled this badly, but believe it or not our death rate per million is considerably worse.  Ours is the fourth worst in the world, and the US death rate per million is only two thirds of ours.

It would be helpful if deaths per million were highlighted more often, though I can see that some would not wish that to happen.

Out of interest, San Marino, Belgium and Andorra are above us in the league tables and have been for a long time - I believe, if in doubt, Belgium is attributing more deaths to Covid than some other countries, but does anyone know what happened in San Marino and Andorra?

I suppose the thing to be relieved about is our case rate and death rate is going down.  The USA is going up in leaps and bounds and is being denied by the WH.  It's frightening.  I have friends in Florida who don't go out because they are too scared. 

Edited by jeanlyon

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Aware of that, but individual numbers are the issue, not league tables.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Individual numbers mean very little, because populations of countries vary widely. The only way of looking at figures to exclude this variation is to look at numbers per million population, and we have the fourth worst death rate in the world. Partly, I’d guess, because so many untested and infected NHS patients were dumped into care homes on government instruction.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Individual numbers mean very little, because populations of countries vary widely. The only way of looking at figures to exclude this variation is to look at numbers per million population, and we have the fourth worst death rate in the world. Partly, I’d guess, because so many untested and infected NHS patients were dumped into care homes on government instruction.

Individuals are the issue, not where there home abode, was placed in a dodgy league.

I am concerned for the individuals not statistics!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry, you can't just look at deaths per million when compiling a league table. If you want to make true comparisons, you also need to take into account population density, age demographic of the population, BAME percentage of the population etc. And that's before even getting into the nitty gritty of how each country is recording CV19 deaths.

I'm not denying that the UK has handled the epidemic poorly, but trying to make comparisons on a league table based on a single parameter,  is a flawed statistical exercise.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry, we may not agree on the B word, but we are in complete accord on covid stats. Looking at excess deaths, arguably an even more accurate way of gauging our numbers, we seem to do even worse. And the argument that many of these would have died shortly anyway, leading to our death rate reducing to below average in the next few months, seems a particularly unpleasant way of viewing people's lives being cut short.

Edited by AnnieC

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The Trouble is Harry a lot of countries work to different methods ,so the politician's keep telling us to justify their maths.

Bring it down into areas and you find areas like Leicester are way up the table compared to NE Lincs area ,

compare them and again it means very little,because populations of areas  differ  widely.

If i take a household comparison and a family of ten have two deaths yet down the road a family of two have a death ,

percentage wise who is the worst off ?  Try telling the family with two deaths they were better off.

I just wish all the powers that be would work off the same sum book .

It's a bit like when they count the covid test kit's, what did those figures honestly tell us ?

Edited by kalos

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

The Trouble is Harry a lot of countries work to different methods ,so the politician's keep telling us to justify their maths.

Bring it down into areas and you find areas like Leicester are way up the table compared to NE Lincs area ,

compare them and again it means very little,because populations of areas  differ  widely.

If i take a household comparison and a family of ten have two deaths yet down the road a family of two have a death ,

percentage wise who is the worst off ?  Try telling the family with two deaths they were better off.

I just wish all the powers that be would work off the same sum book .

It's a bit like when they count the covid test kit's, what did those figures honestly tell us ?

On that last point, nothing - they were faked figures to achieve the target of 100,000 tests a day - a target that was in reality never achieved. It was claimed to have been achieved, but only by counting a single person as having had two tests (nose and throat) and including on the last day of April a massive number of tests not actually carried out at all - just put in the post to patients.

'More or Less' (Radio 4 in association with the Open University) looks at statistical claims on a regular basis and analyses their accuracy.  Tim Harford, economist and statistician, presents it and provides an objective viewpoint to claims made.  Must be quite embarrassing for the government to have to change the way they present statistics because of research like this, and criticism by the UK Statistics Authority.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kfpy

• Like 1

But then of course if you didn't do so much testing, you'd have fever cases!!!!!!!!!  What a hoot.

Let's hope our cases and deaths continue to go down.  I think the US is in a very bad way.  As for Russia, they continue to have thousands of cases but very few deaths.  Just not believable.

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

I couldn't agree more. League tables are for sports. Covid deaths are NOT statistics. They. Are. People.

Avril 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I couldn't agree more. League tables are for sports. Covid deaths are NOT statistics. They. Are. People.

Avril 

Avril, of course I agree with you that we're talking about people.  But the only way we can tackle this virus is by learning about it, what it does, and how most effectively to deal with it.  Statistics, medical or otherwise, are the only way we have to do that, and we have to learn from the statistics what we can do better.

Without those statistics we have no means of measuring whether what we're doing is successful or not.  And exactly the same thing can be said about producing that vaccine that we're all hoping for - no statistics, no vaccine.

Harry

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Avril, of course I agree with you that we're talking about people.  But the only way we can tackle this virus is by learning about it, what it does, and how most effectively to deal with it.  Statistics, medical or otherwise, are the only way we have to do that, and we have to learn from the statistics what we can do better.

Without those statistics we have no means of measuring whether what we're doing is successful or not.  And exactly the same thing can be said about producing that vaccine that we're all hoping for - no statistics, no vaccine.

Harry

I understand that Harry, I really do, and I'm not having a dig at you honestly,  but as a silly, soft - hearted female,  I find referring to people's lives as 'statistics' cold an unfeeling. We lost a  family member to covid. He was a brother, father and grandfather,  not a statistic. I've wanted to get that out of my system for a while. Thanks Harry 😊

Avril 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mercury7289 said:

It were cold, very cold,

So cold, that I decided not to enter the world in that decade!

No you were very sensible. If I were as clever as you I would have come the previous decade as well.😆

Avril 

• Like 2