P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning hope everyone's ok this morning.  I'm hoping the wind is not as bad as the

other week when it took one of my neighbours conifer trees out which was laid over 

3 gardens until  they hired a chainsaw . It took the neighbours fence with it that 

adjoins us so that cannot go this time .We too have our bins out for collection  but 

luckily they are just here now ,so best get that back in whilst it is there .

Good advice by others ..Take care and not chances ,stay in if you can .I know people 

such as Josy are going out for good reason bless her but it will be annoying if She has

a lot of no shows .What is a matter with people ? If you cannot go fine but just pick up

a phone to let them know :classic_smile: Hope the worst passes without damage .

Take care and stay safe :classic_love::classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

will venture outside to get bin in once collected

Beat you to it ! Got ours in, plus those of our neighbours,  about 30 minutes ago. 

That's the first time I've been out of the house before 9am since 2016 !

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

41 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Gosh, I’m not far from Poole and it is very blustery here. Dog is going to have to miss his walk today!

Take care.

Doesn’t seem to bad here, I’m near the sea as I’m writing the wind seems to be picking up more will give it half hour and then brave it or try.

Just watching the news on TV and showed Penzance which is looking pretty wild. My son was on his way to the station and realised that lots of the trains this afternoon are cancelled so returned home, and is now working at a local pharmacy but is having difficult walking down there due to the wind.

Two of my daughters have got the day off work as their schools are closed and another daughter has lost her power. 

Our council has issued a notice not to put bins out as they are not collecting them.

My youngest daughter (in Australia) sent a picture of a nice sunny day on the beach with the comment no wind here!

Take care.

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Just watching the news on TV and showed Penzance which is looking pretty wild. My son was on his way to the station and realised that lots of the trains this afternoon are cancelled so returned home, and is now working at a local pharmacy but is having difficult walking down there due to the wind.

Two of my daughters have got the day off work as their schools are closed and another daughter has lost her power. 

Our council has issued a notice not to put bins out as they are not collecting them.

My youngest daughter sent a picture of a nice sunny day on the beach with the comment no wind here!

Take care.

Your daughter loosing power got me thinking ,we know the worst of this storm is yet to come 

so if you think it's going to be really bad in your area ,get the house warmed up ready for any 

power failure and if possible if you have them ,make up a couple of flasks with hot drinks .

A few years back we bought a small brief case style 2 ring camp cooker with gas cartridges

included .Thankfully I have never needed to use it but it's sat there stored with a pack of

tea lights and a torch should our power go .

• Like 4

I see London and the South East is now in the Red Zone, so I’m not particularly looking forward to today. I remember the Great Storm in 1987, and that wasn’t much fun. I drove to work the following morning, and literally had to weave between fallen trees.

stay safe everyone

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I see London and the South East is now in the Red Zone, so I’m not particularly looking forward to today. I remember the Great Storm in 1987, and that wasn’t much fun. I drove to work the following morning, and literally had to weave between fallen trees.

stay safe everyone

Yes, red warning from 10 am to 3pm here so I have postponed my morning Dental appointment. They were getting lots of cancelations today. I just did not fancy that 1mile uphill walk back from the village into the teeth of the storm, especially has I still have the dreaded post viral cough etc.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

stay safe everyone

I remember the great storm. I slept through it and awoke to see the local wood almost flattened and trees through the roofs of houses. I lost a ridge tile. 

The radio reported a police message from a motorway patrol car, they had been overtaken by a flying night watchman's hut so the motorway was now closed. No mention of the occupant though!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

stay safe everyone

I had the same problem that day.I was installing central heating in an empty property 6 miles up the road and was due to fit the tanks in the loft.When I eventually got there,the roof was missing.I thought great I wont need my leadlight now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I remember the great storm. I slept through it and awoke to see the local wood almost flattened and trees through the roofs of houses. I lost a ridge tile. 

The radio reported a police message from a motorway patrol car, they had been overtaken by a flying night watchman's hut so the motorway was now closed. No mention of the occupant though!

He wont remember,he was a bit high at the time.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes, red warning from 10 am to 3pm here so I have postponed my morning Dental appointment. They were getting lots of cancelations today. I just did not fancy that 1mile uphill walk back from the village into the teeth of the storm, especially has I still have the dreaded post viral cough etc.

I think that’s wise. No point taking any undue risks if you don’t have to go out.

I remember 1987 storm too. Was a lot younger then and it was an adventure getting into work. Trees down everywhere (worked in Epsom in Surrey). I remember driving under a fallen tree - stupid or what!

• Like 5

The wind gusts have reached 80 in St Just, I’ve just realised Land End weather scale only goes up to 80! D H has got safely to work in Penzance, unimpressed that they decided to go in. ( engineering hardly essential today)  & it’s Friday so he’ll be on his way again at 12.30. The birds are flying backwards bless them 🤣 power surprisingly still on, good point on the heating  Kalos. Son at uni Bournemouth , he was only allowed out yesterday after having you know what & not getting a neg result for 10 days, poor soul had to rush out & get his shopping & flowers for his girl friend who kept him fed by leaving his meals outside his room door.  

• Like 5

Just breezy here in Cheshire at the moment but due to peak from 11 to 3 today. Interesting that London and the south east is red zone with the same wind speeds as most of the rest of England on amber!

20 years ago we lost a lot of roof tiles in a storm and since then have dreaded high winds, fingers crossed we get through damage free.

• Like 1

Sitting in my conservatory in Lancashire. Sun streaming in through the lounge window, the sky out of the conservatory window is black and threatening. Mild breeze currently. The forecast is for us to get the bad weather by lunchtime but local news says the wind will be losing some of it’s strength by then. Not going anywhere today. I’m glad it’s half term so that I don’t have to do school run. I hope you all keep safe.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Just breezy here in Cheshire at the moment but due to peak from 11 to 3 today. Interesting that London and the south east is red zone with the same wind speeds as most of the rest of England on amber!

20 years ago we lost a lot of roof tiles in a storm and since then have dreaded high winds, fingers crossed we get through damage free.

Just seen on tv that the reason for the red zone in the south east is because of the impact on the high population density even though same wind speeds as most of the rest of England.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

The wind gusts have reached 80 in St Just, I’ve just realised Land End weather scale only goes up to 80! D H has got safely to work in Penzance, unimpressed that they decided to go in. ( engineering hardly essential today)  & it’s Friday so he’ll be on his way again at 12.30. The birds are flying backwards bless them 🤣 power surprisingly still on, good point on the heating  Kalos. Son at uni Bournemouth , he was only allowed out yesterday after having you know what & not getting a neg result for 10 days, poor soul had to rush out & get his shopping & flowers for his girl friend who kept him fed by leaving his meals outside his room door.  

You must live in West of Cornwall too. We're up the coast a bit!!

Thank you Kalos for your advice. Torches and candles were gathered yesterday, and are fortunate enough that if we loose power we can still cook as the hob is gas.

I too remember the great storm. We were in Carbis Bay and overlooked the beach with great big plate glass windows, which were moving with the strength of the wind!

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 2