P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sarah - the first time I went up on deck when we went into Olden I was blown away by it! I’d nipped on deck about 6-7am leaving hubby in bed. We had an inside cabin, When we go again we will have a balcony - it’s gorgeous, the sail in and sail out. I took a few photos then rushed back to wake hubby and insist he get up 😂

On the way out we ate in the Beach House which on Ventura is high up in part of the buffet. Lovely views to have with our dinner with and we had a table by a window.

I am looking forward to it so much, after so many cancellations it almost feels unreal that it is only 3 months away. We've got a balcony cabin on the curvy mid section of Iona so I can always sit out there and savour the scenery if I'm too lazy to get up and dressed very early.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kalos said:

It's one of the worst airports going when it comes to bad weather .Fog or wind ,give 

me DSA any day .

Back in the day I used to fly up to Glasgow from LBA in a turboprop that never got much higher than 12,000 feet. Made for a bouncy  ride.

Rumour has it that if the wind was  unfavourable,  double decker buses  were not allowed to pass the runway threshold until the aircraft struggled to take off.

The new runway extension was opened in 1984, so suddenly the excitement was lost !

• Like 2

My worst landing experience was at Newcastle in a howling gale, we came down sideways and could see the entire length of the runway through the cabin window until 2 seconds before the pilot touched down by throwing the nose sideways through 20 degs. Quite a bit scary.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

My worst landing experience was at Newcastle in a howling gale, we came down sideways and could see the entire length of the runway through the cabin window until 2 seconds before the pilot touched down by throwing the nose sideways through 20 degs. Quite a bit scary.

You know what they say.

A good landing you walk away from.

An excellent landing means you can use the aircraft again.

Having said that,  your description is exactly how an aircraft should land in severe crosswinds. To be blunt, nothing out of the ordinary. Sorry John ! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I am looking forward to it so much, after so many cancellations it almost feels unreal that it is only 3 months away. We've got a balcony cabin on the curvy mid section of Iona so I can always sit out there and savour the scenery if I'm too lazy to get up and dressed very early.

I can’t wait to go again and have a balcony! By the time I moved my Spain and Portugal cruise it was cheaper to have a balcony next year for two weeks than one week this year to Norway! 

You will have a brilliant time I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Those who have been on the iona what’s the food like compared to the other ships. Been on azura but obviously sindhu is different menu on iona and they have the quays and the olive grove etc and keel and cow. 

I found the food ok much the same as the other ships, fish and chips at the quays was good.

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I can’t wait to go again and have a balcony! By the time I moved my Spain and Portugal cruise it was cheaper to have a balcony next year for two weeks than one week this year to Norway! 

You will have a brilliant time I’m sure.

Where are you cruising next year? It’s much nicer to have 2 weeks 😊

Until reading this forum I didn’t realise how much prices go up after launch and how quickly. We booked our cruise on launch, mum & dad booked the same cruise 3 months later and paid over £500 more pp for the cabin next door. My sister booked 9 months after us and paid £200 pp more than us for a lower grade balcony cabin. I’m not used to booking things so far in advance though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Those who have been on the iona what’s the food like compared to the other ships. Been on azura but obviously sindhu is different menu on iona and they have the quays and the olive grove etc and keel and cow. 

One of the things that impressed me about Iona was the wide choice of food venues compared to the rest of the fleet. I expect my next cruise in May will only involve the occasional visit to the MDR.

Morning all,

Hope you are all safe and well.

Yesterday's wind has dropped for the time being and we are forecast to have a sunny day, but we will see!

Got to wait in today as my daughter has arranged for a mattress to be delivered here as my Grandaughter and her Dad have covid. Good job I had nothing planned.

Take care and stay safe.

Pam 

• Like 5

The fish and chips are good, also had chicken and chips from the burger bar, but my chicken was a bit over cooked. Other than that we only used the MDR and Horizon and the food there was similar to the other ships.

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning all,

Hope you are all safe and well.

Yesterday's wind has dropped for the time being and we are forecast to have a sunny day, but we will see!

Got to wait in today as my daughter has arranged for a mattress to be delivered here as my Grandaughter and her Dad have covid. Good job I had nothing planned.

Take care and stay safe.

Pam 

I hope that they are not to ill.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, the fish & chips in the Quays was very good & we also enjoyed the food in the Olive Grove. However, whilst the food served was good, we were a bit disappointed with menus in The Glass House & Sindhu on Iona which were not as comprehensive as those on Britannia. But, this was last summer, so menu's may have changed since the. Great ship though & lovely to have such a wide selection of eating places. Enjoy! 

25 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Until reading this forum I didn’t realise how much prices go up after launch and how quickly. We booked our cruise on launch, mum & dad booked the same cruise 3 months later and paid over £500 more pp for the cabin next door. My sister booked 9 months after us and paid £200 pp more than us for a lower grade balcony cabin. I’m not used to booking things so far in advance though.

Next year we’re going round Spain including Malaga, Valencia, Cadiz and Lisbon. It’s actually 13 nights but doesn’t go until October 2023! It’s near John’s birthday and will actually be a replacement for his 60th birthday cruise but by the time we go he’ll be 63! We had changed it to a Med one for this June but I panicked and moved it. I thought if I moved it nearer the time the prices for next year will have jumped again! Which they have already.

It is a pain booking so far in advance especially with work. If we’d booked for Norway for this year I would have kept it as it’s all the same country and only a week.

We have sneaked in a 3 night to Belgium this year but I’m so looking forward to next year - such a long wait!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

That’s impressive, I hope he’s coping ok. 

Thank you.  His cancer has spread throughout his body but he still has a positive attitude.  My niece says that her dad's attitude is what is keeping her sane through her cancer journey.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Until reading this forum I didn’t realise how much prices go up after launch and how quickly.

That would normally be the case, but not so much at the moment. 

There have been various reports that current Caribbean cruises are significantly cheaper than they were at launch. 

And, admittedly not P&O,  the pricing for our Princess May Mediterranean cruise is falling on a seemingly daily basis !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

MDR and buffet were pretty much the same as on the other ships.  The Quays is ok for a cooked breakfast, but also has pancake and waffles with a selection of toppings.  Might be a nice change/fun for your kids.  We didn't try the fish and chips and lunchtime in The Quays, but did give the burger/chicken bar and oriental bar a go, both were a nice change to buffet or MDR lunches.

Tried the Olive Grove once, would definitely give it another go.  The only pay venue we tried was the Limelight Club.  I thought Keel & Cow looked rather pricey considering you've already paid to eat on board.

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I've just transferred our Aurora October 2022 cruise to  Aurora December 2023 and had been considering it, as the price at launch was so good that I thought it was an error. Finally deciding to move our cruise I checked again and it was still the same price, so I booked it. Still scratching my head at the price for a 16 nighter as well as the OBC, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

We have sneaked in a 3 night to Belgium this year but I’m so looking forward to next year - such a long wait!

We have ours booked for December 2023, and P&O kindly?? reminded me this morning that the countdown to our cruise was 93 weeks🙄

I hope I'm still here🤣

Avril

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Thank you.  His cancer has spread throughout his body but he still has a positive attitude.  My niece says that her dad's attitude is what is keeping her sane through her cancer journey.  

Such a hard time for your family xx