P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

We have a travel chess set. Is it allowed aboard? And if so can we take it with us like when we are sat in the pub with drinks during the days etc? 

As long as you are not taking up a table on the buffet when people are trying to find somewhere to eat.

• Like 1

Good morning all. Cold, wet and miserable here. The raining is battering the windows but at least it is not snow now. It’s very, very windy and more severe gusts forecast for this afternoon.

The ladies curling team took gold (and the gents silver yesterday) so well done to them all.

I am useless at curling but I do enjoy watching it. Used to love when they had a bonspeil at the Lake of Menteith but that has not happened since the 70s (officially). People have played but health and safety regulations have stopped any formal bonspeil in recent years, even when the ice is thick enough. We have seen small groups play when staying at the Lake though.

Fun fact, curling stones for the Olympic are all made here in Scotland from stone off Ailsa Craig. One for the next pub quiz.

• Like 5

Round the Horn, I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again, The Navy Lark, The Goons, The Men from the Ministry, Dad’s Army etc etc are all still available on BBC Radio4 Extra. Some still sound very fresh, some take your breath away sometimes at the non PC content

Dry here at the mo, but still very windy.  We’ll take the dog out for her walk/fly before the forecast rain arrives.  All is not lost - I completed Wordle in 3 lines today, and solved the Quordle

Puzzle fans, have you found Nurdle/Nerdle, an arithmetic one; Lewdle, rude words 🙄; and Globle, a gazeteering puzzle which drives me crazy.  Those spellings may not be exact but I’m sure Mr Google will search out the correct websites for you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Round the Horn, I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again, The Navy Lark, The Goons, The Men from the Ministry, Dad’s Army etc etc are all still available on BBC Radio4 Extra. Some still sound very fresh, some take your breath away sometimes at the non PC content

Dry here at the mo, but still very windy.  We’ll take the dog out for her walk/fly before the forecast rain arrives.  All is not lost - I completed Wordle in 3 lines today, and solved the Quordle

Puzzle fans, have you found Nurdle/Nerdle, an arithmetic one; Lewdle, rude words 🙄; and Globle, a gazeteering puzzle which drives me crazy.  Those spellings may not be exact but I’m sure Mr Google will search out the correct websites for you

The Navy Lark not currently available or any of the others as far as I can tell. they do have Hancock's Half Hour radio version

17 hours ago, Jennizor said:

I love eucalyptus but I keep mine well pruned as my husband is averse to anything that may block our view of the farmland at the bottom of the garden. When Peel Holdings start building on it he may change his mind! 

I really did feel for you when I read your first post on the subject and saw your delightful view.  We have (slightly elevated) uninterrupted views over farmland and, although 'development' not even mentioned anywhere, it is my biggest fear.  West Lancs, where I live, has lots of high quality farmland and I obviously want it to stay that way.  I know, I know, I'm a potential NIMBY 😉. You obviously live in a very nice spot and I hope, if the development goes ahead that it is well-landscaped.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

The Navy Lark not currently available or any of the others as far as I can tell. they do have Hancock's Half Hour radio version

Yes - they rotate the shows they have.  Obviously no new ones being made!   I saw The Goons & Dad’s Army available this week, plus Michael Bentine plus Paul Temple.  Real oldies.  I noted there’s a series all week with Sheila Hancock talking of her life with John Thaw, plus there’s a tribute to Barry Cryer.

I suspect there’s all sorts of availability if you start from the BBC Sounds app but, frankly, I can’t be … bothered

It’s blowing a gale out there.  The roads are littered with twigs and small branches - the pigeons will have super de luxe nests this year - but we only saw a couple of fence panels down, and one smashed roof tile lying on the ground

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I should have said "Round the Horne". You are far too young to know about it.

Anyone remember this sort of dialogue

''Take your shirt off, Jule. Show Mr Horne your rippling physique . . . There, look Mr Horne. Vada that great butch lucoddy.”'

Listening on a Sunday afternoon  in the 1960s - totally different world !

My folks had a holiday caravan at the coast from about 1950. Every flipping weekend , driving back up to London in Dad's triumph mayflower Sunday evening listening to Round the Horne, sing something simple and ,I think, beyond our Ken. As I got older, I wondered what was the point of the black and white minstrels on the radio, why not just call it the minstrels.?.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Was that ‘Sing Something Simple’ or am I getting confused? The Cliff Adams singers?

Sing something simple was Cliff Adams, Black and White minstrels was a different show. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 10:38 AM, brian1 said:

Our neighbours at the back have these 2 bloody 40ft fir trees.I was praying they'd blow down,lol.Even at the sacrifice of our shed.

We were the same with our nextdoor, as cuts out so much sun light. It rocked and that was that...oh well, next time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

My folks had a holiday caravan at the coast from about 1950. Every flipping weekend , driving back up to London in Dad's triumph mayflower Sunday evening listening to Round the Horne, sing something simple and ,I think, beyond our Ken. As I got older, I wondered what was the point of the black and white minstrels on the radio, why not just call it the minstrels.?.

Triumph Mayflower - posh

• Haha 2

I don’t really know what to say - so I’d best say nothing

Perhaps I could comment that it’s hard to believe that material broadcast by Auntie BBC, on the steam radio,  some 50 years ago is somehow unsuitable for a family friendly website?

• Like 7

I remember one or two posting saying some family members last week were on the mend 

after being struck down with the C virus .I see our Queen has now caught it as well .

I don't know if she reads our pages (you never know ) but I hope she recovers soon .:classic_smile:

• Like 8

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

As long as you are not taking up a table on the buffet when people are trying to find somewhere to eat.

no it wouldn’t be in the buffet area. Used to sit in glass house or brodies on azura. While hubby has a drink etc. 

only thing we ever did and still got raised eyebrows at was have a coffee in the buffet. Kids were in the club. It was very quiet loads of tables available it was between breakfast and lunch. We were doing a crossword and got tutted at. We’d tried to go sit in the Costa but was so busy. 
would never take up a table when busy unless eating. 

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

I remember one or two posting saying some family members last week were on the mend 

after being struck down with the C virus .I see our Queen has now caught it as well .

I don't know if she reads our pages (you never know ) but I hope she recovers soon .:classic_smile:

I’m sure one would find a few contributors most amusing 👑

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I really did feel for you when I read your first post on the subject and saw your delightful view.  We have (slightly elevated) uninterrupted views over farmland and, although 'development' not even mentioned anywhere, it is my biggest fear.  West Lancs, where I live, has lots of high quality farmland and I obviously want it to stay that way.  I know, I know, I'm a potential NIMBY 😉. You obviously live in a very nice spot and I hope, if the development goes ahead that it is well-landscaped.

Mrs Goggins

The plans are with the Council currently and we don’t know when we will get the results. Part of the plans include a Championship golf course and they are bidding for the Ryder Cup to be held there. Realistically, why would Bolton be considered as a venue for this? In addition, with number of houses planned, the current infrastructure couldn’t cope with all the extra traffic, local schools are already full, we would need more doctor’s surgeries, the list goes on. The plans for the course show that hole 11 would be able to be seen from our garden!  We were told at a planning meeting that we would be able to rent our house for a lot money to potential spectators (not going to happen). 

We wait with baited breath.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sorry Sharon, my post wasn't mean't in the way it came across. I didn't mean to cause any offence.

Avril

Not just you Avril - I think a number of us have to plead guilty to referencing some BBC double entendres from the 60s and 70s!

There were some great Barry Cryer jokes on the Radio 4 obit earlier this week, but I’d best not repeat them here then.  There was a clean one though about a swearing parrot whose owner put him in the fridge with the warning that he’d stay there until he stopped swearing. 

Half an hour later he was still effing and blinding, so in he went again.

After an hour he came out and agreed to stop swearing.  But added: “What the hell did that chicken do wrong?”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

Mrs Goggins

The plans are with the Council currently and we don’t know when we will get the results. Part of the plans include a Championship golf course and they are bidding for the Ryder Cup to be held there. Realistically, why would Bolton be considered as a venue for this? In addition, with number of houses planned, the current infrastructure couldn’t cope with all the extra traffic, local schools are already full, we would need more doctor’s surgeries, the list goes on. The plans for the course show that hole 11 would be able to be seen from our garden!  We were told at a planning meeting that we would be able to rent our house for a lot money to potential spectators (not going to happen). 

We wait with baited breath.

Bolton golf club doesn't have quite the same ring as Royal Lytham St Annes, I agree.

33 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Bolton golf club doesn't have quite the same ring as Royal Lytham St Annes, I agree.

We live about 50 metres from Royal Lytham St Annes golf course. When we moved here we were told we could rent out house for a lot of money if there are any major tournaments. I wouldn’t do it though

Michelle

• Like 2

Afternoon all. Feel grateful we haven’t suffered too much here with the storms but I do think the media hype it up. I was worried sick Thursday night with son driving a van and hubby driving a fair distance to work. I was the only one working in my team for the first hour Friday and I was worried my internet would go down and I’d have to fight my way to the office! Tomorrow there’s strong winds again so I hope we get lucky with the power again. Gloomy and rainy here now.

My mum and Dad have finally decided to move - we went to look at a flat with them yesterday and I think they’re going to go for it. They’ve lived in their house for nearly 58 years so it’s going to be hard for them - and they have so much stuff!!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all. Feel grateful we haven’t suffered too much here with the storms but I do think the media hype it up. I was worried sick Thursday night with son driving a van and hubby driving a fair distance to work. I was the only one working in my team for the first hour Friday and I was worried my internet would go down and I’d have to fight my way to the office! Tomorrow there’s strong winds again so I hope we get lucky with the power again. Gloomy and rainy here now.

My mum and Dad have finally decided to move - we went to look at a flat with them yesterday and I think they’re going to go for it. They’ve lived in their house for nearly 58 years so it’s going to be hard for them - and they have so much stuff!!

Gloomy and raining here too. My mum moved into an apartment two years ago from a three bed bungalow, she loves it. The amount of stuff in the loft was unbelievable, curtains from when they got married in 1957, old suitcases, deck chairs. I am sure they will love it 

Michelle 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

Round the Horn was broadcast after lunch on Sundays, after Two way Family Favourites,

I was allowed to listen to The Clitheroe Kid on Monday evenings when I got home from Brownies. 

Forgive the intrusion from a Cunard cruiser, but I have been reading Megabear's magnificent attempt to bring the insurance and cruise companies 'in line' and saw this thread.

Hope you don't mind a cuckoo in the nest!

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 7