P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well we have been on the M6 today and at times visibility amidst torrential rain was about 20 yards at best. Glad to be off the M6 now and have had a safe journey. Stay safe anyone else travelling 

• Like 8

Good Afternoon, or should I say Evening?

We have been without phone and internet all day, and I kept getting text messages for sky saying their engineers were working hard at fixing the problems apologising for any inconvience and saying if I wanted further information go to online😕

It's very windy down here again, but dry until recently as it has just started raining.

Off to catch up on the rest of the site.

Have a good evening and stay safe.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Round the Horn was broadcast after lunch on Sundays, after Two way Family Favourites,

I was allowed to listen to The Clitheroe Kid on Monday evenings when I got home from Brownies. 

Forgive the intrusion from a Cunard cruiser, but I have been reading Megabear's magnificent attempt to bring the insurance and cruise companies 'in line' and saw this thread.

Hope you don't mind a cuckoo in the nest!

Your welcome :classic_smile: As a kid I loved the TV show with Jimmy Clitheroe and Mollie Sugden :classic_love:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I was allowed to listen to The Clitheroe Kid on Monday evenings when I got home from Brownies. 

I was in the Brownies in the days when we wore full length brown dresses with leather belts and a brown beret. We had to carry an Elastoplast tin with plasters, a safety pin, pain killers (yes really) and a coin for the pay phone for emergency calls.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Round the Horn was broadcast after lunch on Sundays, after Two way Family Favourites,

Forgive the intrusion from a Cunard cruiser, but I have been reading Megabear's magnificent attempt to bring the insurance and cruise companies 'in line' and saw this thread.

Hope you don't mind a cuckoo in the nest!

About a third of our cruises are P&O. The others are Celebrity, NCL and Royal Caribbean, so I guess I could be classed as a cuckoo.🤣

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Spent the weekend with my 95 year old Mum. 

Nice pub lunch today. No masks, no social distancing, just like the good old days !

The world seems to be opening up. We went out for a curry last night. Only difference was the portions were a bit smaller and the prices a bit higher. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The world seems to be opening up. We went out for a curry last night. Only difference was the portions were a bit smaller and the prices a bit higher. 

I think that is going to be the story for the next year. Those on low incomes are really going to suffer.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have noticed the prices in our favourite local restaurants have risen and we no longer seem to get the various deals that used to be on offer. We used to eat out once or twice a week before the pandemic hit, is now once or twice a month. Although we have incensed out takeaway quota which used to be infrequent, but then we discovered Just Eat after my daughter suggested it, and we can get meals from a wide range of places delivered to our door, plus we can have wine with our meal, when we ate out one of us didn’t have an alcoholic drink as was driving. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Wind getting up again here, recent gusts seem as strong as Friday.

We have had squally downpours a few times this afternoon, road outside was a river as drains couldn’t cope with volume of water.I have one or two people further down the street had their cellars flooded, we don’t have a cellar. 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

About a third of our cruises are P&O. The others are Celebrity, NCL and Royal Caribbean, so I guess I could be classed as a cuckoo.🤣

Until the last 5 years our cruising was split equally across Princess, Celebrity and P&O, with the occasional foray into RCL, but now that we no longer fly our cruising is restricted to Southampton, and we find that P&Os year round cruising offers far more cruises from Southampton, especially in the variety of itineries and ships. The other main reason since 2017 is pricing, the devaluation in sterling definitely made cruising on US  dollar based cruise lines a lot more expensive, and since we only cruise so we can enjoy a hotter weather holiday we dont really bother about the itinerary, apart from trying to  avoid tender ports, and those with poor wheelchair accessibility.

Not sure what category that puts us in?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We have noticed the prices in our favourite local restaurants have risen and we no longer seem to get the various deals that used to be on offer. We used to eat out once or twice a week before the pandemic hit, is now once or twice a month. Although we have incensed out takeaway quota which used to be infrequent, but then we discovered Just Eat after my daughter suggested it, and we can get meals from a wide range of places delivered to our door, plus we can have wine with our meal, when we ate out one of us didn’t have an alcoholic drink as was driving. 

We still eat out a couple of times a week, not too many deals around, but still a fair few. We have a tastecard, which gives 50% off in some restaurants. We rarely have alcohol in restaurants, that's for holidays 🤣

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Until the last 5 years our cruising was split equally across Princess, Celebrity and P&O, with the occasional foray into RCL, but now that we no longer fly our cruising is restricted to Southampton, and we find that P&Os year round cruising offers far more cruises from Southampton, especially in the variety of itineries and ships. The other main reason since 2017 is pricing, the devaluation in sterling definitely made cruising on US  dollar based cruise lines a lot more expensive, and since we only cruise so we can enjoy a hotter weather holiday we dont really bother about the itinerary, apart from trying to  avoid tender ports, and those with poor wheelchair accessibility.

This year 1 P&O , one Celebrity to Norway and an RCL trip around the BoB. Fortunately we can still fly, so a few hotels abroad and maybe a fly cruise next year. We will do it while we still can.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

John - have you thought about Saga ?

46 minutes ago, wowzz said:

John - have you thought about Saga ?

Yes, but as we rarely take an accessible excursion, and can't use a normal coach, the included excursions are of no use or interest to us, and we can enjoy two P&O cruises for the cost of one with Saga, even with all the extras you keep extolling. In fact I am not sure we would get the free transport, we are at the limit of this and well outside the distance at which you receive individual transport, and Pauline would struggle in a mini bus, or even a Renault Espace type vehicle. Anyway despite its many failings we are quite happy with what P&O offer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes, but as we rarely take an accessible excursion, and can't use a normal coach, the included excursions are of no use or interest to us, and we can enjoy two P&O cruises for the cost of one with Saga, even with all the extras you keep extolling. In fact I am not sure we would get the free transport, we are at the limit of this and well outside the distance at which you receive individual transport, and Pauline would struggle in a mini bus, or even a Renault Espace type vehicle. Anyway despite its many failings we are quite happy with what P&O offer.

John - I totally understand your concerns. It was just a thought, and I appreciate why you prefer P&O. 

It was just a suggestion regarding different itineraries as much as anything else.

Until 15 years ago we mostly did P&O family cruises but since then mostly Cunard. In the next 2 years we have 2 P&O 1 Princess and 1 Cunard cruises booked so far. Most recently we have taken 2 Princess cruises and were impressed. You tend to pay a price premium for Cunard (especially for the dollar based drinks prices) so if Cunard start to reduce their selling point of the traditional ambience and become more main stream  I think that they will fall out of favour with us, although we love QM2.

High gusty winds here and due to continue for the rest of the day. I'm sure that one of our trees is leaning more than it did!? For us it is worse than Fridays storm same severity but been going on already for 12 + hours and with the rest of the day to go. Bins day today so will have to put them out when we see them coming.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

High gusty winds here and due to continue for the rest of the day. I'm sure that one of our trees is leaning more than it did!? For us it is worse than Fridays storm same severity but been going on already for 12 + hours and with the rest of the day to go. Bins day today so will have to put them out when we see them coming.

Seems more windy here too.
I have to drive down the motorway this morning as well to collect the grandchildren. We have four of them for the next two days. Swimming booked for this afternoon and probably play gym tomorrow. I have stocked up on food because they will eat me out of house and home

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 7

Seems just as windy here as Friday, and trees swaying again.  This is a comparatively sheltered spot, but it looks as if others in Yorkshire and elsewhere have had it bad.  Hope everyone still has their power and no blown down trees.

Roll on warmer and calmer weather!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

TBH,it's been quite normal for months now.Some still wear masks but not many.Hotel breakfast buffets have also been self serve free for alls for ages now.Brian.

Another sunny day, sounds a bit boring, not. We are now into our third week and loving it and already looking at options for 2024 or even moving our March 2023 Canary cruise and looking at 6 weeks somewhere warm. On the upside fuel prices are falling back home.

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'In The Boro About time petrol prices fell!'

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well we have been on the M6 today and at times visibility amidst torrential rain was about 20 yards at best. Glad to be off the M6 now and have had a safe journey. Stay safe anyone else travelling 

That brings back memories.Back in the day I drove the whole of the M6 from Penrith in my van in those conditions.The visibility from spray from lorries and the storm was frightening.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2