P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I find the warnings on certain things ludicrous. I mean the warning on an M&S, 'walnut cake' may contain nuts'!!!   Or on the instruction leaflet that came with my iron 'Caution, may become hot when in use!!! 🙄

Avril

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I find the warnings on certain things ludicrous. I mean the warning on an M&S, 'walnut cake' may contain nuts'!!!   Or on the instruction leaflet that came with my iron 'Caution, may become hot when in use!!! 🙄

Avril

It's all down to covering backsides in this day of compensation culture, the world has gone mad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Dust If You Must

Dust if you must, but wouldn’t it be better

To paint a picture, or write a letter,

Bake a cake, or plant a seed;

Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there’s not much time,

With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;

Music to hear, and books to read;

Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world’s out there

With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;

A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,

This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,

Old age will come and it’s not kind.

And when you go (and go you must)

You, yourself, will make more dust.

By Rose Milligan

What a wonderful poem. A perfect way to live life

Avril

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a question. Our neighbour told us that she irons her towels. 

Lady W is house proud,  but she couldn't believe it.

Perhaps we're slobs, but does anyone else iron towels, and if so, why?

I have never ironed a towel or tea towel and don't intend to start. My sister has told me countless times that I am lazy but as I tell her I have more important things to do.🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oooooh 😀  Thank you for all joining  in..   I'm really glad I posted it now.

I love the poem.  We have to have a giggle when we can.   We can't expect to post just on cruises at the moment can we, and we are all cruisers anyway...

If the shared bungalow purchase proceeds nicely, both having lived alone for so long, it should be a riot!!🙃 Can't wait to find out.

(He says he irons his towels as it fluffs them up 🤥🤣)

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

I haven't ironed anything for over a year. The baby boomer dress code expressly forbids anything made of linen.🙂

I iron, but only what's necessary. I prefer to wear natural fibres so have to pay the price and get the iron out. I iron Frank's shirts too. I don't iron bedding either, although my friend, yes the one who irons towels, does.

Avril

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Dust If You Must

Dust if you must, but wouldn’t it be better

To paint a picture, or write a letter,

Bake a cake, or plant a seed;

Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there’s not much time,

With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;

Music to hear, and books to read;

Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world’s out there

With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;

A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,

This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,

Old age will come and it’s not kind.

And when you go (and go you must)

You, yourself, will make more dust.

By Rose Milligan

I have heard that before, but I think it is very apt.  Life is too short to worry about dusting. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a question. Our neighbour told us that she irons her towels. 

Lady W is house proud,  but she couldn't believe it.

Perhaps we're slobs, but does anyone else iron towels, and if so, why?

When we first got married Pauline was 19 and I was 24 and didn't have much money and no washer her mam did our washing and she ironed our knickers,socks as well as everything else.

She made us a cooked dinner every night,such a lovely woman.

Graham.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

It's desperation now wowzz, but we can argue that it has something to do with cruising. Do they iron the towels on cruise ships before folding them into towel animals?😊 

I shall now go to bed before this conversation gets sillier. Nite all🥱

Avril

We always took Pauline's mam and dad out every week and after her dad died we took her mam with us on 6 cruises,the last for her 90th birthday on Ventura.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

When we first got married Pauline was 19 and I was 24 and didn't have much money and no washer her mam did our washing and she ironed our knickers,socks as well as everything else.

She made us a cooked dinner every night,such a lovely woman.

Graham.

Wow, you were lucky Graham. When we bought our first house, a little two up two down with outside toilet, I washed clothes in the sink and dried them on a pull-up airer in the kitchen and a clothes-horse around the fire. Bedding and towels etc I took to the launderette. Happy days🤥

Avril

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Wow, you were lucky Graham. When we bought our first house, a little two up two down with outside toilet, I washed clothes in the sink and dried them on a pull-up airer in the kitchen and a clothes-horse around the fire. Bedding and towels etc I took to the launderette. Happy days🤥

Avril

I can just about remember by grandma's dolly tub and the huge piece of wood she used to stir and beat the washing with !

Crikey, making me feel old now ;-)

PS My mum used to iron everything too - underwear, socks, t towels, bedding etc etc etc. so I did for a while. When we got married hubby thought I was mad and I've not bothered since. 😉

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

That sounds like a lovely relationship with your mum in law Grapau

They say what goes around, comes around don't they..  she helped you when it was appreciated and I'm sure she loved those cruises.

Next Sunday will be her second memory,and she would have been 98.

Her last 4 years her Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia took over and with Pauline's brother who lived with his mam we looked after her without any carers so all our cruises then were only 2-7 days long.

She was lovely and we were all very close.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We always took Pauline's mam and dad out every week and after her dad died we took her mam with us on 6 cruises,the last for her 90th birthday on Ventura.

Graham.

That's lovely Graham. I wish my parents had still been with us when we became comfortable enough to spoil them like that. They had me late in life so I was still fairly young  and raising a family when they died.

Avril

• Thanks 1

Just now, Adawn47 said:

That's lovely Graham. I wish my parents had still been with us when we became comfortable enough to spoil them like that. They had me late in life so I was still fairly young  and raising a family when they died.

Avril

Paulines mam was 40 when she had Pauline and 42 when she had David and was 96 when she died 2 years ago next Sunday.

Her mam and dad had several cruises in their own cabin sailing with us and when Roy died in 2008 we had cruises on our own and also the 6 cruises we brought Ruth with us when we got large cabins to accommodate the 3 of us.

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines mam was 40 when she had Pauline and 42 when she had David and was 96 when she died 2 years ago next Sunday.

Her mam and dad had several cruises in their own cabin sailing with us and when Roy died in 2008 we had cruises on our own and also the 6 cruises we brought Ruth with us when we got large cabins to accommodate the 3 of us.

Dad died 1991, and then mum came to live with us.  She died a year later. I was 44. 

Avril

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear this.

It was nice that you brought your mam to live with you.

Well our little chat certainly put a downer on this thread Graham😉 Time for a change of topic.

I've had a busy day in the garden today, in between the showers. We finally managed to collect all the fruit and cut down the raspberries ready for winter.The pears were bottled last week and today I've peeled, cored chopped, cooked and frozen 11lbs of baking apples. All that's left now are some blackberries still ripening. Phew!! I'm glad that's done. 😌 

Avril

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Well our little chat certainly put a downer on this thread Graham😉 Time for a change of topic.

I've had a busy day in the garden today, in between the showers. We finally managed to collect all the fruit and cut down the raspberries ready for winter.The pears were bottled last week and today I've peeled, cored chopped, cooked and frozen 11lbs of baking apples. All that's left now are some blackberries still ripening. Phew!! I'm glad that's done. 😌 

Avril

We popped into Morrisons first thing for food.

It was raining most of the day and only 45f.

We took a picnic out with us later this afternoon and sat in our car in the beach car park eating the picnic and looking out at the North Sea for 2 hours until it was dark.

Graham.

• Like 2

Our first cruise was to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary.  As we had never cruised before we chose a week ashore and then a weeks cruise.  Dad liked it so much that he and Mum booked a cruise for the next year, unfortunately he died a few months later so I took his place, and have cruised with Mum of several occasion since.

• Like 5