P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We popped into Morrisons first thing for food.

It was raining most of the day and only 45f.

We took a picnic out with us later this afternoon and sat in our car in the beach car park eating the picnic and looking out at the North Sea for 2 hours until it was dark.

Graham.

Bright but chilly down here today. 

We had a long walk through the nature reserve down to the Solent. 

Perfect relaxing day really. 

Andy 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Our first cruise was to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary.  As we had never cruised before we chose a week ashore and then a weeks cruise.  Dad liked it so much that he and Mum booked a cruise for the next year, unfortunately he died a few months later so I took his place, and have cruised with Mum of several occasion since.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

It's nice that you and your mam enjoy cruising and have been able to have had several cruises together.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Bright but chilly down here today. 

We had a long walk through the nature reserve down to the Solent. 

Perfect relaxing day really. 

Andy 

I love those kind of days.  Where you've done nothing, but feel as though you've achieved a lot. A time to recharge the batteries. I hope you both have a good weekend.

Avril

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We popped into Morrisons first thing for food.

It was raining most of the day and only 45f.

We took a picnic out with us later this afternoon and sat in our car in the beach car park eating the picnic and looking out at the North Sea for 2 hours until it was dark.

Graham.

Graham - always had you down for a Waitrose sort of person, but you might be a bit too far north for them. 

Have Booths got to your neck of the woods? Lovely people to deal with, a bit like Hintons and Walter Wilson,  but they have sadly long gone. 

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Graham - always had you down for a Waitrose sort of person, but you might be a bit too far north for them. 

Have Booths got to your neck of the woods? Lovely people to deal with, a bit like Hintons and Walter Wilson,  but they have sadly long gone. 

There is a Waitrose at York and Harrogate not sure if there are any further  north.

On 10/10/2020 at 6:27 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Is there really all that much that has to be ironed? 

Our daughter irons practically nothing (I'm not even sure she has an iron) and claims it's an utter waste of time.  There are better things to do with your time that ironing - home educating her children takes a much higher priority!

As my wife, who used to care for the dying as a terminal care nurse, says - she could never recall anyone saying they wished they'd spent more time doing housework.  Holidays, being with the family, hobbies, lots of other things - yes.  Housework and ironing - never.

I’ve always said that Harry ‘ no one on their death says ‘I wish I’d done more ironing’.

I do iron though but as little as possible! 
When I was a child my mum used to iron everything, even she doesn’t now!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Now there's another new topic for discussion:  favourite supermarkets.  Mine are Aldi and Waitrose, but for very different reasons.  Home deliveries only now, though, so Aldi's no longer possible, sadly.  And the bills have gone through the roof as a result!

• Like 1

Well we are now home from Devon. We had a good time despite a couple of days with lots of rain. 
This afternoon we are going over to our son’s for dinner which I’m really looking to it. Who knows the if we’ll be able to mix with them soon. 
After that I really feel we have nothing to look forward to... 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Morrisons 1 minute away by car.

M&S food is our preference.

Nearest Booth's 100 miles away in Keswick.

I dealt with Hinton's and Walter Wilson but as you say sadly they are no longer here.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Now there's another new topic for discussion:  favourite supermarkets.  Mine are Aldi and Waitrose, but for very different reasons.  Home deliveries only now, though, so Aldi's no longer possible, sadly.  And the bills have gone through the roof as a result!

I use Aldi and Lidl, topping up at Tesco and M&S.  They are all within 800 yards of each other, so easy to visit all of them in one shopping trip.

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Well we are now home from Devon. We had a good time despite a couple of days with lots of rain. 
This afternoon we are going over to our son’s for dinner which I’m really looking to it. Who knows the if we’ll be able to mix with them soon. 

Pleased you had a lovely time on holiday.

Your last sentence is sad but so true for so many people with lockdowns caused by Covid19.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m glad Devon was (mostly)good

Have a lovely time with your son today

I, too, worry that household visits might be restricted again, countrywide, in the near future.  Our son is visiting sometime this week - after that, who knows?  We’ve already determined that our Christmas will be just the two of us, with Zoom parties to see the grandchildren.  Miserable sort of thought but, looking forward, it’s sorta sacrificing 2020 to get 2030.  
Such a shame our government didn’t use the previous tough lockdown (when at least we had good weather) to get more things sorted for the autumn/winter.  Online only further & higher education for the whole academic year feels obvious, plus *something better & safer* wrt children attending school.  I can’t be the only one feeling those early restrictions have been wasted 

I acknowledge that none of this is easy; I accept that the problem seems to be all through Northern Europe.  I still think more could and should have been done 

I still think Cummings should have been ‘done’.  All the PM needed to do was publicly admonish him and demand a full public apology.  No need for hanging & drawing.  Cummings raising his middle finger to us plebs was the death knell for 100% public compliance.

Pah!

I didn’t sleep well - does it show?

Sue - I think it may be back to enjoying life’s little pleasures ; winter sunshine, a nice meal at home, a good book or TV programme, a phone call ...

• Like 8

Our local stores are Tesco, Morrison's, Sainsburys and Aldi with a Lidl under construction.

Must admit that we often travel a little further to shop at M and S and Waitrose

We do enjoy the trip out and find Waitrose no more expensive for some items especially with special offers.

• Like 1

Aldi & Lidl for us.  Good bread selections, mahousive pork chops and great spatchcock chicken (Sunday dinner today).  Pop over to Farmfoods every now and then to top up with square sausage, haggis slices and kippers.  Aldi is also walking distance when we don't need a big shop or grog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

There is a Waitrose at York and Harrogate not sure if there are any further  north.

There is a Waitrose in Formby (which I think of as posh Merseyside!) and they deliver to us in SW Lancashire.  We have a great Booths within a few miles and their values make them worth supporting.  DH is very fond of Aldi and Lidl having been a very frequent visitor to Germany for most of his life and used them long before they arrived on our shores.  When we are anywhere else in Europe we always seek them out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Our local stores are Tesco, Morrison's, Sainsburys and Aldi with a Lidl under construction.

Must admit that we often travel a little further to shop at M and S and Waitrose

We do enjoy the trip out and find Waitrose no more expensive for some items especially with special offers.

Our 'corner shop' is Waitrose and we do use it for convenience, but don't do the big shop there, we have an Asda delivery slot that we are reluctant to give up in case of another lockdown... 

Andy 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m glad Devon was (mostly)good

Have a lovely time with your son today

I, too, worry that household visits might be restricted again, countrywide, in the near future.  Our son is visiting sometime this week - after that, who knows?  We’ve already determined that our Christmas will be just the two of us, with Zoom parties to see the grandchildren.  Miserable sort of thought but, looking forward, it’s sorta sacrificing 2020 to get 2030.  
Such a shame our government didn’t use the previous tough lockdown (when at least we had good weather) to get more things sorted for the autumn/winter.  Online only further & higher education for the whole academic year feels obvious, plus *something better & safer* wrt children attending school.  I can’t be the only one feeling those early restrictions have been wasted 

I acknowledge that none of this is easy; I accept that the problem seems to be all through Northern Europe.  I still think more could and should have been done 

I still think Cummings should have been ‘done’.  All the PM needed to do was publicly admonish him and demand a full public apology.  No need for hanging & drawing.  Cummings raising his middle finger to us plebs was the death knell for 100% public compliance.

Pah!

I didn’t sleep well - does it show?

Sue - I think it may be back to enjoying life’s little pleasures ; winter sunshine, a nice meal at home, a good book or TV programme, a phone call ...

Sorry you didn’t sleep well, but no, it doesn’t show. Sound sense - I agree with every word you say.

The situation now could have been, and should have been, so much better with proper leadership.

• Like 1

We are so lucky now to be able to buy everything under one roof. I remember as a little girl going to butchers, grocers, green grocers, newsagent for a weekly shop. I even remember my Gran taking me to the tripe shop as her and my grandad used to eat it. Yuk!!

Michelle

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Part of the "fun" in shopping in Aldi and Lidl is seeing what offers they have in the middle aisle. It's almost like the equivalent of visiting a car boot sale (which I normally detest)

A weekly shop, trolley jack, one size gloves that will only fit Pat Jennings and some scented drawer liners.. 😊

Andy 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Part of the "fun" in shopping in Aldi and Lidl is seeing what offers they have in the middle aisle. It's almost like the equivalent of visiting a car boot sale (which I normally detest)

Got meself an electric weed burner the other day.  

Went to Lidl in Vilnius and Sofia at the beginning of the year.  They had bread slicing machines for the uncut loaves.  Wish they would do that here as well.

• Like 1